Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Top Rated freelancer program - now live

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
91 of 119

@Darrin O wrote:

@Krisztina U wrote:
If the current policy favored those who've been here the longest, the JS wouldn't just look at the past 12-24 months, but take the entire Upwork history into account.

Time is continuous, not discrete.  If you're being favored for the last 12 months, that means you're in a better position today to also be favored in 12 month's time.  That extends backwards and forwards for as long as you're active here.

I've seen plenty of Upwork recommended freelancers with one or two $20 jobs and a 100% JS score.

I don't believe that's true.  I've worked more than a few >$20 jobs here and it still tells me it doesn't have enough info to calculate a JS score.  If what you're saying is true, it supports the supposition that Upwork is more interested in selling sweatshop labor than world-class talent.

More to the point, whatever the site recommendations, the freelancer's job history comes from hires.  When I look at who the clients invite for most of the jobs I'm suitable for, they tend to go after people with a lot of buy-in on the oDesk/Upwork platform.

I'd ask someone from Upwork to provide some enlightening stats, but I'm still waiting to get the stats I was promised regarding Connects and canceled jobs.

Darrin, you don't have to take my word for it. I am sure it's easy to verify by running a few freelancer searches and filtering it for JS of 90% or more. I know what I saw in my hiring interface. People with barely any oDesk/Upwork history and very little in earnings yet a 100% JS. Or freelancers with a JS of 100% ending up in the hidden folder. The only thing worse was that some of these newcomers came as recommended by oDesk/Upwork. I wonder how it was determined to recommend them with not a whole lot to go by. I only see one closed job on your profile. Maybe the minimum is two or three. Starting out and instantly landing a few ongoing jobs doesn't seem to count. 

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
92 of 119

@Krisztina U wrote:
Darrin, you don't have to take my word for it. I am sure it's easy to verify by running a few freelancer searches and filtering it for JS of 90% or more.

I tried, but the searches all turned up no JS stat for anyone who does not show a reasonable amount of experience.  Please give a specific query that demonstrates otherwise.

Or freelancers with a JS of 100% ending up in the hidden folder.

That might make some sense, though, if their success was at tasks unrelated to the job they applied for, or if there were some other reason that they might not be a suitable candidate for your particular job.  But, really, that's all a completely separate issue.  My point remains that many of these "new" programs only do what oDesk/Upwork is already doing everywhere else on the site: highlighting those who they already have statistics on.

I only see one closed job on your profile. Maybe the minimum is two or three. Starting out and instantly landing a few ongoing jobs doesn't seem to count.  

And that's the problem I'm highlighting.  Come to Upwork with too much skill and too low a rate, and the few clients you do get will see the value and want to keep working with you if at all possible, the consequenses being you don't actually get the stats you need to attract the attention of the rest of the clients.  Meanwhile, the guy with 4000 hours here is getting invites left and right and promoted as Top Rated, despite his skills quite possibly being rather mediocre.

Oscar R Member Since: May 14, 2015
93 of 119

I qualify for top rated based on my previews Odesk stats.

Does my previews odesk stats are going to be valid here as well?

thx

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
94 of 119

Oscar,

Your stats from oDesk will be the same on Upwork, they will not change because of the rebrand.

-Lena

Untitled
Fatema A Member Since: May 7, 2015
95 of 119

Hi, I succesfully completed 8 jobs and got 5 star on all jobs. Also I am doing long term job too. So why my job succes is only 85% ? I always provide quality services and all of my clients were satisfied with my job. So what I have to do to get more than 90% job succes? 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
96 of 119

Hi Fatema,

Please, note that there is a number of factors that contribute to the Job Success score beside public star rating. You can refer to this article for more information about what is counted in the Job Success score and how to improve it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ashley K Member Since: Sep 26, 2014
97 of 119

Fatema, I just wrote this: **edited for Community Guidelines**; I don't know if it will be helpful. It seems that you must keep a job for at least 6 months in order for it to be considered long-term by the Upwork platform. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
98 of 119

Hi Ashley,

Actually, a client with whom you worked and received payments from during three months will be considered a long term client. And it can be over multiple contracts as well.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
99 of 119

So, Valeria - you're happy with the fact that she suggests ousourcing work, then? (OK, she added a caveat that you should be careful, but not because it's not allowed...). Or is it allowed now? You seem to be more bothered about the three-month/six-month thing.

And I must say Ashley was very lucky to get flooded with suggestions for good and relevant jobs- it doesn't seem to happen to that many.

And then theree's the decidedly murky approach to taking clients off-site and expecting oDesk to still consider them as working on oDesk. I suppose that's no biggie either....

Community Guru
Tamaz J Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
100 of 119

Hi, 

Just got invitation for "Top Rated community on Upwork".

Actually, pressed that huge green button in the email and is this all I need to do or there is something else?

Simply was directed to Top Rated portion on this forum.

Thanks

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS