Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

One hourly project with multiple rates

Highlighted
Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
1 of 6

Hi,

I am working on a bid for an hourly project that will span a list of services to be offered throughout the project. I'd like to charge a different rate for each service - can this be done?

Thanks,

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Christopher H wrote:

 

I am working on a bid for an hourly project that will span a list of services to be offered throughout the project. I'd like to charge a different rate for each service - can this be done?,


Not with one contract, no, only with several contracts.

 

Several open contracts with one client is a bit dangerous in case the relationship breaks down though....

Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
3 of 6

Thanks for the quick response Petra - I was afraid of this. It would seem this is a pretty common thing among Agencies/Companies - offering different services during the course of a single project (example: Architecture, Project Management, Back-End/Database development, Front-End/Graphic design and development, QA, etc.) - any idea if this is on Upwork's radar to add as new functionality any time in the future?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Christopher H wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Petra - I was afraid of this. It would seem this is a pretty common thing among Agencies/Companies - offering different services during the course of a single project 

Hang on a second.... are you plannning to have different people work on the different aspects of the contract? Then the client has to hire everyone who will work on the contract at their own rate.

 

On hourly contracts, only the person who was hired is allowed to log time under the contract.

 

Your agency doesn't seem to have any agency members... 

If you are letting other people work on your contracts, you'll have to stick to fixed rate contracts, or you'd be in violation of the terms of service.

Active Member
Christopher H Member Since: Dec 29, 2018
5 of 6

Thanks for the info - I was planning on doing the different tasks myself, but at different rates for each task. Seems it's just not possible nor allowed.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

Christopher H wrote:

Thanks for the info - I was planning on doing the different tasks myself, but at different rates for each task. Seems it's just not possible nor allowed.


You can with different contracts (the risk of it going well and tanking your profile is small, but real)

 

Or go fixed rates if that is workable and have different milestones, or calculate a blended rate for the lot (the latter would possibly come closest to what you want.)

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS