Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct message before hiring- new beta test

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
31 of 69

Hi Oleksandra,

Following up on the questions you posted earlier today:

Does Upwork add Agency owner to the "1:1" chat as for invites?

1. Yes - the agency owner is added into the chat

Does Freelancer have an ability to add Business Manager to the 1:1 chat with the client? 
2. Not at the moment, the ability to add a business manager is on our roadmap but we don't have an ETA for it.
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
32 of 69

I like the concept as it saves buyers the headache of dealing with nonsensical bids ... but the same issues of poorly articulated needs remain.  For FL to respond to these DMs we need project details and reasonable dollar rates.

I understand U can't force proper job specs and the verbiage here now is a start ... but needs to be expanded. These buyers are paying for the feature; it only makes sense to tweak it so it has a better chance of working to their benefit.  

Buyers should NEVER be forced to do something ... but presenting them with rudimentary guidelines can make the process  less onerous.

I also suggest putting a $100 minimum charge on projects utilizing the feature - that way everyone takes it seriously.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
33 of 69

Lena wrote:

“This week, we will begin beta testing a Direct Message tool that allows Plus clients to reach out directly to freelancers they want to work with before they post a job.

“If a freelancer is not interested in speaking with the client about the project, they can ignore the Direct Message or can block the client in Messages. Ignoring a Direct Message will not affect the freelancer’s JSS/ responsiveness score or ability to be invited to jobs in the future. Blocking a client will prevent a freelancer from receiving messages and invites from the client in the future.”

This does not in any way imply that freelancers can send direct messages without the client initiating the conversation.

I think it is a great idea.

And how is it worse than a client sending me a direct offer without my bidding for the job?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
34 of 69

Adding to Ravindra's words "And how is it worse than a client sending me a direct offer without my bidding for the job?."

I have never accepted a job or without a fairly extensive discussion first.  IMHO, if a buyer is to too lazy to write a job description and to dense to possess the common sense to get a feel for the person he/she is entrusting their job to ... they don't really care.  And that alone is reason not to work with them.

i.e., if this helps eliminate the blind job offers - HOORAY!

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
35 of 69

Wendy C wrote:

Adding to Ravindra's words "And how is it worse than a client sending me a direct offer without my bidding for the job?."

I have never accepted a job or without a fairly extensive discussion first.  IMHO, if a buyer is to too lazy to write a job description and to dense to possess the common sense to get a feel for the person he/she is entrusting their job to ... they don't really care.  And that alone is reason not to work with them.

i.e., if this helps eliminate the blind job offers - HOORAY!

Well, I did express my surprise at getting a direct job offer from an unknown client.

She did then clarify that I had been highly recommended by an ex-client of mine.

We did discuss the job, and I took the job at the price I wanted (higher than her initial offer).

Even if we get a direct offer from a completely unknown person, we do have the option of declining the offer.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
36 of 69

I know we do, Ravindra.  Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
37 of 69

Even if we get a direct offer from a completely unknown person, we do have the option of declining the offer.

I like the fact that we can decline. At this time, I have made my profile private. I just can't take on any more work but when it's open I decline more than I accept.

Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
38 of 69

Thank you - this is a much better way for a client to initiate a direct conversation than the "request a quote" method Upwork recently tried..

Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
39 of 69

How is the process affected by the availability setting? For example, if someone tries to send a message and you're marked unavailable, do they receive an auto message saying something-or-other? Or does that only apply if you've set up auto messages? Or are they blocked from messaging someone who's marked as unavailable?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
40 of 69

Hi Kim, 

This works in a similar way as invites. When a freelancer sets their profile as unavailable, they aren't shown in search, so clients are unlikely to discover them and invite/message them. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS