Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diversity certifications available on US profiles

ad2010
Ace Contributor
Andy B Member Since: Feb 19, 2016
61 of 70

yeah! I have noticed this with clients too to the point where I am getting hired out to do DEI assessments and next steps recommendations (if they need one) - the govt even spent $4mil on these last year.  Clients mostly like these so they can sleep at night and have a paper trail that they did one, but it ended up being a whole new branch of my PR business because having me do one of those turned out to be good for optics too.  

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

ad2010
Ace Contributor
62 of 70

Interesting.  Not too long ago being a minority was a detriment to getting business.  I am still hesitant to highlight the fact that I'm not white.  Why would this suddenly be a plus. Do the clients get some sort of tax incentive for hiring minority owned businesses/freelancers?  

Again, highlighting my non-whiteness is USUALLY BAD for business.  But if there is some woke trend/incentives from the govt then I AM IN!  Otherwise I would think clients would just yell "next!" the second they even see the word minority.

So the next questions is:  HOW TO WE APPLY/NOTIFY that we are minority certified? I see the screenshots but no link to where those application screens already are.

Thx for your input and advice!!

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

pradeephele
Pradeep H Moderator Member Since: Jan 11, 2021
63 of 70

Hello Andy,

Upwork does not provide Diversity Certification services. Diversity Certifications are available from numerous agencies, including:

The process to apply may vary based on the agency you choose and may include providing supporting documentation, interviews with authorities, verifications, fees, etc. 

If you have already earned a certification please let us know as we are testing out adding diversity certification badges to the Upwork profiles of freelancers and agencies with registered businesses that have earned certification. 

You can add a Diversity Certification Badge directly from your Upwork profile using the green plus (+) button. You can refer to this Help article for more information

Thank you. 

Pradeep H

Untitled
janerjbr
Janaina O Member Since: Mar 25, 2021
64 of 70

I am interested.

How does it work?

thanks, 

Janaina

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
65 of 70

Hi Janaina,

Thanks for your question. We added a new section in your profile called “Diversity Certification” where you can add your information. Once you add the details, the badge will automatically appear. The process can vary based on the agency that is awarding the certification. Typically, it includes interviews, providing documentation, an on-site visit, and a fee. Note: Upwork doesn’t award the certifications, we provide the Diversity-Certified Badge if you’ve earned certification from an outside group.

~ Bojan
Untitled
beccaparis
Rebecca P Member Since: Apr 9, 2021
66 of 70

Hi Bojan,

I'm new to Upwork and wanted to add my 'veteran owned' diversity cert; but the system is saying it cannot be verified.  I've spoken w/ the VA - they do not give their own unique #s.  Rather, we are to use our DUNS #.  I've tried to use my DUNS # in conjunction w/ the expiration date of my VA letter (3yr from award date).

Thank you,

Becca

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
67 of 70

Hi Rebecca,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with this concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
ad2010
Ace Contributor
68 of 70

I had this same problem.  Gave upwork my CAGE# from the federal government with a proof and everything BUT Upwork basically told me they don't accept the word of the U.S. Government ( lol seriously, they did ).  Upwork will only accept from a select number of PAID 3rd party certification companies.  All sounds very scammy to me, so I decided to pass on the certification badge altogether.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
69 of 70

Hi Andy,

We looked into this and it appears you entered your CAGE # into the form as a provider. However, it is not a provider. Could you please re-submit your entry but select System for Award Management as the provider that issued your CAGE number? That is a recognized provider and your certification should be accepted.

~ Valeria
Untitled
ad2010
Ace Contributor
70 of 70

OK, thank you - I'll try it.