🐈
» Support » Resources » Product Release Notes » Job size will now be factored into your JSS
Page options

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

lenaellis
Community Member

UPDATE: The JSS Metric has been updated to reflect the changes that were announced below. As of today, March 1st, all Job Success Scores are now displaying the updated value.

We will soon update JSS metrics to reflect job value in the calculation. Today, a one-week $20 job typically carries the same weight as a one-week $1,000 job in JSS. Soon, JSS will be weighted by job earnings. For example, a one-week $1,000 job will be weighted more than a one-week $20 job. JSS will also exclude contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback. All other JSS policies will remain unchanged.

What does this mean?

We are making this change so a freelancer’s Job Success Score will display a more comprehensive representation of their freelancer workWe understand not all jobs are equal. We know higher budget contracts require more work and freelancers who complete these more complex contracts successfully should get credit for them. Just as longer-term contracts hold more weight in JSS calculations than shorter ones, we believe contract value should also hold significance in the calculation. By giving these jobs more weight, these jobs will have a greater influence on a JSS. 

Many freelancers will see an increase in their scores if they’ve successfully completed higher budget contracts in the past. At the same time, a small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS, see a drop in their scores, or lose their Top Rated badge. Today, we are emailing freelancers whose JSS will see a decline of 5% or more, to let them know they will be affected.  Freelancers that see a drop in their score can improve their JSS by completing more jobs with positive feedback, as it works today. Larger budget contracts with positive feedback will result in a higher increase in JSS, however, all great feedback contributes to JSS and whether you work on large or small contracts you can still reach 100% JSS.

This change will take effect in March, at which time all Job Success Scores will be updated retroactively. We know many of you will have questions about this update. We won’t be able to discuss your individual score or outcomes of specific contracts. We have listed some anticipated questions below, let us know if you have any additional questions.

FAQS:

Can I know what my new JSS is now before this launches?

We will not be able to provide you with your updated score until the JSS calculation refreshes at launch, in March.

Does this mean if I don’t get big contracts I’ll never be able to get a JSS of 100%?

Receiving stellar feedback on smaller budget jobs can still get you to a JSS of 100%. We are only changing the impact of jobs based on earnings. This means that strong client feedback on a higher-budget job could boost your score more than a lower-budget job. All other aspects of JSS will remain the same.

How will I know if it affects me?

The majority of freelancers will be affected positively by this change and will see an increase in their scores. We are sending out emails to those who will likely see a drop in their score once the new JSS calculation goes into effect in March. 

Can this affect me positively, will my JSS go up?

Yes! The vast majority of freelancers on the platform will see an increase or very little change in their scores. This is because you may have worked on one or more higher paying contracts in the past, and because you received great feedback that great feedback is being weighted more. 

Can I lose my JSS?

A small percentage of freelancers may lose their JSS. This is because they had one or more jobs with no earnings. Positive feedback on contracts with no earnings will not be factored into JSS once we move to the new calculation. As a result, some freelancers won’t have enough outcomes to be eligible for a JSS until they successfully complete more jobs. Nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects. 

How does weighting work specifically? 

To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

So if I take a bigger job and get negative feedback that counts more than positive feedback on smaller jobs?
Yes. A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. For example, feedback on a $1,000 job carries more weight on your JSS compared to a $20 job. However, receiving poor feedback on a job with more earnings can be balanced out by doing well on a job of the same size in the future or on a number of smaller jobs. 

Can I lose my Top Rated badge?

Yes, a small percentage of freelancers who see a decline in their JSS may drop below 90% and lose their Top Rated badge. This is because they received less-than-positive public or private feedback on one or more of their higher-paying contracts. Feedback on contracts with higher earnings will affect JSS more after this new change.

925 Comments
varungs
Community Member

Oleg Z wrote:

Why do not a step further, and measure JSS in some other units, not in percent? Now a freelancer with a few contracts, who earned $5000/year, has the same JSS as a freelancer, who earned over $100K/year. Although there's an obvious difference. Smiley Happy

There is no obvious difference in job excellency and efficiency between someone who earns a lot and someone who earns less. The latter is simply better for clients on a budget. The JSS should factor in proportional earnings (ie. a freelancer who gets a 5-star review on a $90 job and a 1-star review on a $10 job should have the same JSS as someone who gets a 5-star review on a $90,000 job and a 1-star review on a $10,000 job). Making a judgement based on absolute earnings would be terrible as it would price out the vast majority of freelancers and would also make it much harder for clients on a budget to find freelancers who are good fits.

morales-mariana
Community Member

You guys really really need to figure this out. Elance had a great system, why can't we just go back to that one? This JSS thingy is complicated and every time you guys make a change like this it changes the entire dynamic of the platform, do you realize that? And the impact it has in our earnings?

I find these things irresponsible. The app is working great tho, so we have that. Good job on that one.

m_sharman
Community Member

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I can confirm the information Jennifer shared. Long-term relationships are a plus and can help boost Job Success score while not having them won't count against it. That will continue to be true.

To confirm, even if the client has never closed a contract with the FL, as is the case for some of Andrew's clients, this is still factored into the "long term" relationships? 

kalaani
Community Member

Do you have no plan to add weight on job category's or clients budgets .

For more clarification ; 

We all know freelancers used to works on some specific  job category . For example some do "Logo Designing " only and some do "App developing " and so on ... . Its clear logo design jobs are rather lower in paying compare to App development . So logo designer might not have higher paying job for years . Eventually they will not become top rated in the future . As result clients will not be able to find Top rated Logo designers , for a example . 

And also If client never want to pay higher , how can freelancer get higher jobs on specific category . 

VladimirG
Community Manager

Hi Miriam,

There are a few additional factors that affect the outcome of a contract apart from receiving feedback. Not addressing specific contracts Andrew mentioned, as Valeria shared this hasn't changed and longer-term relationships are a plus.

atreglia
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

They do. Longterm contracts count positively towards your JSS. If you're getting paid regularly every week or month, it helps. You don't need to close/re-open a contract. Just leave it open and keep earning. I've found these contracts are better than just having 1 contract that turned out well.

Interesting.  I did not know this.  

But what happens if the long term contract is open and you're not getting paid?  I ask because I have a few of them; two of which I haven't heard from in over a year.  It's been said that an open contract does not hurt the JSS as long as something was paid.  Will this still be true?

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Andrew,

The way long-term relationships weigh more in Job Success score isn't changing with the new change we're announcing here. They will continue benefiting the score in the same way and you can find more information on what relationships are considered long-term in this help article.

Additionally, client's feedback as well as excessive lack of feedback will continue being used to calculate the score. With this new change a job with higher earnings will impact Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. Depending on the outcome of the job, that impact may be positive or negative.
Unfortunately we cannot share specific details about how your score will be affected or about the effect of specific contracts on your score.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Kalaani W wrote:

Do you have no plan to add weight on job category's or clients budgets .

For more clarification ; 

We all know freelancers used to works on some specific  job category . For example some do "Logo Designing " only and some do "App developing " and so on ... . Its clear logo design jobs are rather lower in paying compare to App development . So logo designer might not have higher paying job for years . Eventually they will not become top rated in the future . As result clients will not be able to find Top rated Logo designers , for a example . 

And also If client never want to pay higher , how can freelancer get higher jobs on specific category . 

As I understand it, lower paid designers won't be prevented from becoming top-rated, it's just that if you do a $5 logo and get 5 stars, then you do a $300 logo and get 4 stars, the latter will have a bigger impact on your JSS. I agree that this should be the case. A lot of freelancers are happy to exchange cheap work in return for good feedback (or they hire themselves, or get friends to create fake projects), and they shouldn't be allowed to game the system like this. 

The fact is that there are way too many "top rated" freelancers, to the extent that the badge has become completely meaningless. If a designer can command $2,000 for a logo but has a 92% rating, whereas another designer charges $5 for a logo and has a 100% rating, does that mean that the latter is "better" than the former? I very much doubt it, but that's the way that it looks to clients under the current system. 

lysis10
Community Member

Anna T wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

They do. Longterm contracts count positively towards your JSS. If you're getting paid regularly every week or month, it helps. You don't need to close/re-open a contract. Just leave it open and keep earning. I've found these contracts are better than just having 1 contract that turned out well.

Interesting.  I did not know this.  

But what happens if the long term contract is open and you're not getting paid?  I ask because I have a few of them; two of which I haven't heard from in over a year.  It's been said that an open contract does not hurt the JSS as long as something was paid.  Will this still be true?

Well, I don't know the secret JSS calculations 🙂 But I will say that they don't hurt or harm if they go dormant. I eventually close them if they go dormant. I have only one that is weekly, but last year I had the same client hiring me every month and then another client adding milestones every few weeks. Those contracts helped too.

shyam524
Community Member

Hi , I am agree 100% to you but our request is not hearing here. Anyway bad work give bad result. it will determine future