Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Job size will now be factored into your JSS

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Swaraj M Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
71 of 539

Their response. lol

"To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding."

~ Valeria
Highlighted
Andrew R Member Since: Feb 3, 2020
72 of 539

While I agree weighting higher-earning contracts is absolutely a step in the right direction, this algo adjustment still does not address an issue that has plagued the JSS for years.

I’m one of the top-earning freelances on Upwork in Massachusetts. With several of my clients I’ve had open running-contracts for a very long-time, in some cases years. Given how long I’ve worked with these folks (and how long they’ve worked with me), we clearly have positive relationships and they would speak highly of me. These are the clients where I generate the most revenue from Upwork, and Upwork in-turn makes the most revenue from fees. However, because these contracts are essentially a “running tab” accounting-wise, these clients have never had the opportunity to leave a review on my profile given we’ve never actually closed a contract. The only reviews currently on my profile, and hence being accounted for in my JSS, are short one-off projects that account for ~5% of the revenue I’ve generated from the Upwork platform. This new algo adjustment in no-way addresses this issue.

Today I received the email that my JSS will likely be lowered. I know I have among the top-percentile largest and longest-running contracts on Upwork. Upwork is now engineering a scenario where during this month before March 2020, I’m going to have to go to all of my long-term clients, close all of my current contracts, have my clients leave a positive review, and then open new contracts with all of them, all for the sake of the JSS and this algo. Then I will rinse-and-repeat every month with my long-term clients for the foreseeable future. This is highly highly inefficient; it breaks workflows, creates awkwardness over “closing contracts in the middle of very long-term engagements”, and puts unnecessary stress on long-running contractor-client relationships.

What Upwork should be doing is allowing clients with very long running and high-volume contracts the ability to provide reviews and feedback every month or every quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), instead of having to close a contract completely to leave a review. Upwork has vested interest financially in folks like me working with very long-term clients with the Upwork platform as the intermediary. Almost like an employee. They are now incentivizing contractors to engage in opening/closing/opening/closing contracts for the sake of upping the JSS, which puts awkwardness on client relationships. Why they haven’t addressed this issue years ago is beyond me… It should be a no-brainer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
73 of 539

Andrew R wrote:

What Upwork should be doing is allowing clients with very long running and high-volume contracts the ability to provide reviews and feedback every month or every quarter (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4), instead of having to close a contract completely to leave a review. Upwork has vested interest financially in folks like me working with very long-term clients with the Upwork platform as the intermediary. Almost like an employee. They are now incentivizing contractors to engage in opening/closing/opening/closing contracts for the sake of upping the JSS, which puts awkwardness on client relationships. Why they haven’t addressed this issue years ago is beyond me… It should be a no-brainer.

They do. Longterm contracts count positively towards your JSS. If you're getting paid regularly every week or month, it helps. You don't need to close/re-open a contract. Just leave it open and keep earning. I've found these contracts are better than just having 1 contract that turned out well.

Highlighted
74 of 539

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you very much for your thoughts and comments. Though I don't believe your comments are correct. It is my understanding that the success/outcome of any given project or contract through Upwork is only counted towards the JSS once the contract has been completed, closed, and the client has the ability to leave a review and rating. I have several long-running contracts with my largest clients, none of whom I have yet closed a contract with allowing them to leave a review.

I would be very surprised if these open contracts are currently being counted towards the JSS without a contract closure and review. I was sent an email the morning stating my current JSS will go down in March with the new algo. I currently have open contracts with six-figure tallies on this platform. If your comments are correct Jennifer and my open contracts are currently being counted towards the JSS, and with this new algo Upwork will be weighting longer/higher-volume contracts with higher importance, than my JSS would have to INCREASE; mathematically it couldn’t decrease. So the email I received this morning about a score decrease would make little sense in this case?

I would actually like someone directly from Upwork to chime-in here if they can? Are open long-term contracts without a review or contract closure yet established being counted towards the JSS?

Thanks you.

- Andrew

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
75 of 539

Hi Andrew,

I can confirm the information Jennifer shared. Long-term relationships are a plus and can help boost Job Success score while not having them won't count against it. That will continue to be true.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
76 of 539

Hello Valeria,

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated. Though I'm a bit confused. I received the email stating my JSS would go down. Based on the information you've provided, that would have to be mathematically impossible. My current open contracts with clients who have not yet had the opportunity to leave a review acount for 95% of the revenue I've generated on your platform, and I've generated in the 6-figures. From the information you're telling me, these contracts would be weighted more heavily with the new algo. Mathematically my JSS could only increase in that case... I'm a Harvard doctoral trained Statistician by the way, so I kind of know the math Smiley Wink

Can you please explain what I'm possibly missing here? We can take this offline if you would like. Is there a way I can message you?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
77 of 539

Andrew,

The way long-term relationships weigh more in Job Success score isn't changing with the new change we're announcing here. They will continue benefiting the score in the same way and you can find more information on what relationships are considered long-term in this help article.

Additionally, client's feedback as well as excessive lack of feedback will continue being used to calculate the score. With this new change a job with higher earnings will impact Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job. Depending on the outcome of the job, that impact may be positive or negative.
Unfortunately we cannot share specific details about how your score will be affected or about the effect of specific contracts on your score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
78 of 539

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I can confirm the information Jennifer shared. Long-term relationships are a plus and can help boost Job Success score while not having them won't count against it. That will continue to be true.

To confirm, even if the client has never closed a contract with the FL, as is the case for some of Andrew's clients, this is still factored into the "long term" relationships? 

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
79 of 539

Hi Miriam,

There are a few additional factors that affect the outcome of a contract apart from receiving feedback. Not addressing specific contracts Andrew mentioned, as Valeria shared this hasn't changed and longer-term relationships are a plus.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
80 of 539

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Andrew,

You better make sure that long term relationships are weighing more heavily than dollar value in the JSS formula.

Freelancers who can keep a client coming back for more are the freelancers you really want to incentivise.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS