Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An ** freelancer stole all my website files after i paid for the website

Highlighted
Jonas W Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
1 of 15

Hello,

A freelancer i was working with has decided to steal all my website files after i already paid heim in full for his work. I don't know what to do now. When i try to access the wp-admin of my site, it just gives me a page "Not Found" error. I really don't know what to do. The website was suppose to go live with mu customers in 20 days. Any knowledge or help will really be appreciated.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 15

Why would your freelancer have done this, and what did he say when you asked him?

What actually happened between you and the freelancer? Was it an hourly or fixed rate contract? Is the contract still active?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 15

Jonas, did you ask the freelancer what happened? It might be an honest mistake or a web server system or hardware problem.

4 of 15

I don't think anything happened. We had a fine relationship. I just can't seem to access the backend of my wordpress website now that me and him have parted ways. When i try going to my site **Edited for Community Guidelines**, i get a 404 error message. I also get the same message when i try to look at the site itself. Am not much of a tech guy but a friend told me that the only way these issues arise is by someone either changing the wp-admin url and credentials or outright stealing the wbsite files. I don't know how to fix it

I do still have acess to my hosting and domain accounts though

Community Guru
5 of 15

This makes no sense. The freelancer would not have to 'steal" your files, what would he even do with them.... 

Again, what is the freelancer saying? 

6 of 15

Nothing, he won't reply to my messages. Anyway am not sure wether he stole them or not. I just can't access the back-end of my wordpress site when i had full access just yesterday. And the only other admin registered is the freelancer

Community Guru
7 of 15

@Jonas W wrote:

Nothing, he won't reply to my messages. Anyway am not sure wether he stole them or not. I just can't access the back-end of my wordpress site when i had full access just yesterday. And the only other admin registered is the freelancer

How long have you been trying to contact him?

So you are not sure if the freelancer did anything, but thought it would be a great idea to post two threads on a public forum claiming that he did?

Again, there is no possible reason why a freelancer would "steal" files, the freelancer has them anyway. It is much more likely another issue, and maybe the freelancer will help you fix it (once he sees your messages) unless he finds these wild accusations here first.....

8 of 15

look i'll be the first to admit that perhaps accussing someone without proof is wrong. But when i can't access a site i've worked so hard for and paid so much for, it's frustrating. And when a friend made the suggestion that perhaps the freelancer took the files, i panicked. This is my fault. I apologize

Something is obviously wrong here though, am not a tech wizard so i can't ascertain as to weather the files have been taken or if it's just a technical issue, i just don't know. And when that same freelancer isn't responding to my messages, it only serves to irritate me more. But regardless i reacted and that was wrong. The double post thing was an error

I still need a solution this problem, if anyone has any, please help me.

9 of 15

When i attempt to even go to **Edited for Community Guidelines**, it gives me a 404 error so i can't even see the login page of my own wordpress site

Kdok Z Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
10 of 15

hi,

try to reset the .htaccess file in main directory of the website. This should solve the problem.

Remeber to make a backup of the existing .htaccess file first.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS