cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging me to make a payment? Are you kidding?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
71 of 118

Well said, Jennifer!

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
72 of 118

@Jennifer D wrote:

Better to compare to a rival company in the same industry. The first comparison I made showed that Upwork's biggest competitor charges both Freelancers AND clients a percentage fee of every job, and also charges clients a payment processing fee...And also has extra fees for a bunch of other things as well. So it looks to me like Upwork is simply bringing themselves in line with the industry. Which still sucks for those of us who were enjoying their previous fee structure, but if it's industry standard then where are all these people saying they're leaving going to go? 

Jennifer,

That is something freelancers and clients looking for an alternative will quickly realize. Most freelancer sites remain more expensive even after the new fees will have been implemented.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
73 of 118

I don't like the idea of Upwork charging clients a payment processing fee. But I understand the economics and I feel like even with the fee, clients stand to save a lot of money by intelligently using Upwork's services.

Ultimately the fees are not a philosophical issue, but an economc one:

If I have this service done using an Upwork contractor, I ended up paying $X.

If I have this service done using a local contractor or using a different platform, I ended up paying $Y.

Given the quailty and value and cost, which do I prefer?

The sum experience and cost and value is how I should evalute this, rather than looking at one or two specific fees.

Client SHOULD NOT be "loyal" to one specific source. Client should use Upwork OR another online service OR local contractors OR employees, depending on which one best furthers the interests of their business.

I hire on Upwork. But I also hire people using CraigsList and I also hire people based on searching the Internet for local companies that provide services I need.

Serafina M Member Since: May 4, 2016
74 of 118

This true.  This is the 2nd article that Forbes has run in two weeks on the Upwork price increase.  This is going to create opportunities for competiting sites:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elainepofeldt/2016/05/07/freelance-giant-upworks-new-pricing-model-spark...

Michael A Member Since: May 10, 2016
75 of 118

I am concerned with the upcoming charge starting June 2016, paying 2.75% per payment with Upwork? It doesn't make sense. You are charging both the Client and Freelancer.

If I will not agree to pay the new charg, what will happen? I want to stick with the old method since I've been with this platform for quite sometime now.

I hope that you can reply my message the soonest posssible time, before I get charged for something I don't agree with.

Thanks and best regards,

Michael Andreas

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
76 of 118

Hi Michael,

Thanks for participating in this discussion. It is your choice whether you decide to agree to the new ToS, but Upwork hopes that you will in order to continue being a member of our community. Complying with the changes is a requirement to continue to use Upwork after June 2 when the new ToS become effective. You can view the updated Terms of Service here.

Community Leader
Geomaria G Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
77 of 118

For posting the 'P' in the Breeze, my post got blacked out. 

Kudos to your write up.

We have to keep guessing upwork's plans. Smiley Very Happy

Its like they want us to raise the rates (in response to the community topic- How can Upwork Help Freelancers with their rates', but the addition should go into their pockets. 

Well, let's see what comes off it.

Geo Maria George
Pablo D Member Since: Nov 28, 2011
78 of 118

Hey William,

Have you found other sites? I'm getting more inflamed by the day with UpWork, and I'm considering moving out my most expensive contracts.

Thank you

Lance L Member Since: May 30, 2016
79 of 118

Yes, absolutely crazy situation.... I am going to be looking for alternative solutions. 

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
80 of 118

@Lance L wrote:

Yes, absolutely crazy situation.... I am going to be looking for alternative solutions. 

Just so you know your "Alternatives" will be more. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS