🐈
» Forums » Clients » Commission Based work
Page options
e58bf3df
Community Member

Commission Based work

I want to pay on a commission basis only.

Would it work if I set the commission as the hourly rate, and then for every sale, the contractor invoices me for 1 hours work?

Do I get to approve the hour before it gets billed or paid?

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Sorry. Upwork doesn't have any user interface-based support for commission-only pay. And Upwork's policies don't support this.

There are other tools and platforms you look to for this.

I want to pay on a commission basis only.

Would it work if I set the commission as the hourly rate, and then for every sale, the contractor invoices me for 1 hours work?

Do I get to approve the hour before it gets billed or paid?

It looks like the freelancer would be logging hours manually (without time tracking) in this system, and yes, you do get to approve hours entered manually. I am not offering any view on the merits or advisability of such an arrangement, however.

Thanks.

Gary:

The truth of the matter is this:
There is no button for clients to approve hours.

If a freelancer logs time, whether using the desktop time-tracker, or manually, the freelancer is automatically paid for the time that he logs.

There is a lot of talk in the Community Forum about clients being able to "approve" manually logged time.

Many freelancers have an exaggerated or unclear idea about this.

As a client, I have looked at what happens with manually logged hours.

There really is no "approval" step. And there is not even a user interface control for simply removing manually logged hours.

There is a dispute process with a very specific, very narrow window. It's tricky to use and not something I recommend any client rely on.

Long story short:

If a freelancer logs time, the client is going to be billed automatically for that time. A client would need to go to extraordinary lengths to avoid paying for any time that a freelancer logged. It IS DOABLE. But not as simpl as some people think.

So probably not a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Thanks.

bobafett999
Community Member

You can try if allowed, but only dumbest of the dumbs will bite.

Not looking to take anyone for a ride, offering a very high commision, but also offering part time option. They have the option to work or not work, no win no pay... but win = great money.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths