Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Contractor Insists On Using hourly Despite Agreeing On A Fixed Price

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
11 of 14

Straight up...

If the FL initially agreed to a Fixed Price contract, then that's what they should move forward with if they want to do business with you. 

That's all Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 14

Scott's point is a very important one:

Most serious development work is hourly, not fixed-price.

Trying to use fixed-price contracts for development work puts the client at an extreme disadvantage and is usually only workable for very small projects or very specific, small components of a larger project.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
13 of 14

@Trevor F wrote:

I met a freelancer on another site, he suggested we use Upwork. We agreed on 1,500 as the total price. He asked me to post the job as 'hourly' here. I brought up the fact we agreed on a fixed price and that it makes the most sense to just pay the amount once the work is apporved. It's creating a website which is basically a 'final product', so paying fixed makes sense.

he delivers project, I approve it, I pay him. He insists on hourly and says that it's better and there is more protection. However, from I can tell, tracking someone's work doesn't = protection. He could just not finish the project. Or the project may not work, or be missing features. Is there any real protection in hourly? Should I be concerned he doesn't want to do a fixed rate? 

He is talking about his own protection, not yours.

Fixed price or hourly is irrelevant to the success of the project; your confidence in the freelancer is vital.

If he agreed to fixed price, hold him to it.

There are plenty of experienced and reliable freelancers at Upwork; take your pick.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
14 of 14

@Trevor F wrote:

I met a freelancer on another site, he suggested we use Upwork. We agreed on 1,500 as the total price. He asked me to post the job as 'hourly' here. I brought up the fact we agreed on a fixed price and that it makes the most sense to just pay the amount once the work is approved. It's creating a website which is basically a 'final product', so paying fixed makes sense.

he delivers project, I approve it, I pay him. He insists on hourly and says that it's better and there is more protection. However, from I can tell, tracking someone's work doesn't = protection. He could just not finish the project. Or the project may not work, or be missing features. Is there any real protection in hourly? Should I be concerned he doesn't want to do a fixed rate? 

Trevor, you've got helpful advice on using both hourly and fixed rate. It really, if you think about it, doesn't matter what way you go. Thinking about hourly - it offers protection, mainly for the freelancer. It guarantees that the freelancer will get paid for the HOURS they worked (as long as they used Tracker and typed in notes for the screen shots) NOT the work actually delivered. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use this, but make it a stipulation that after so many hours, they need to SUBMIT the work that they've done to you BEFORE they can record more hours.

Another important thing you should be aware of, is the SOURCE CODE. There are freelancers on here, that after developing a website, they do not give the source code to the client, but they ask for More money before delivering that code. I don't know how long it takes for a developer/programmer to create source code, but make sure you get that at a certain point of the job BEFORE you pay out whether it be an hourly or fixed rate job. and that the source code is included in the price of the job.  If you don't get that when specified, pause the hourly contract or do not pay on a fixed rate contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS