cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First project - web design PSD

Mark S Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
1 of 10

Hi everyone,

I am hoping I can get some advice on how I should proceed on my first project here.

I have developed requirements for a web site and have a developer in mind. They have asked for PSD designs for the site. I am now working on the requirements for the design aspect.

I am mindful there is most likely hundreds even thousands of people here that will have the skill set to undertake this work. 

I have seen one client that posted their requirements as a competition whereby people were invited to submit concepts for the home page. They would then down select to the top 3 to further discuss the remaining web site design with and pay them $100 for their initial designs. Is this something ok to do??

Another option is to put this out as just the design for the home page initially as a trial and request mock ups and then work with a couple of freelancers to fine tune the design and select from there. 

The next question I have is how much to pay? How much would you expect to pay for a fantastic home page design? Alternatively how much time would you expect to go on the home page?

Any other hints and tips?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 10

How much to pay and the best way to run your project is n ot for me to answer, I'm not that up on such things... but contests are not allowed on Upwork.

If you want to get multiple different designs from multiple different people, then you need to hire multiple providers. But a small paid trial for a few different people is no problem.

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
3 of 10

Thanks Scott. The first option didn't seem fair and reasonable to me. I would prefer to pay people for a trial.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 10

Mark, I think you are right on in your plans for doing small paid tests. You can use fixed-price contacts that are small, or use hourly contacts. You can set hourly contact limits to one hour, and there is no way that contractors can bill more than that. You could tell them you want to see what mock-up ideas they can come up with in one hour.

If you picked ten people at an average of twenty dollars per hour, which is a good rate... Many contractors would do this for ten per hour or less... Then you could get ten different mock-up proposals for only $200.

I recommend only paying contractors their regular hourly rate to do mock-ups.

You could see serious proposals and you would own the rights to ALL of it. You could even give one contractor's mock-up to another designer to complete if you want to.

5 of 10

Hi Preston,

Thank you for that, that sounds great to me. So you believe that 1 hour would be sufficient for them to do a mock up for a home page? The amount of elements would be no more than what is on the airbnb website.

In regards to owning the rights to what they present is that by default or something I would have to specify?

Mark 

Community Guru
6 of 10

re: "So you believe that 1 hour would be sufficient for them to do a mock up for a home page? The amount of elements would be no more than what is on the airbnb website."

I don't know if 1 hour is sufficient. It depends on how many elements you want on the page. If it is a home page, that can be pretty simple. This is up to you to decide.

It also depends on how many people you are hiring and what your budget is. If you have more money to spend on this stage, give them some more time.

But one thing you'll be gauging is how quickly people can work. You might want to tell them straight out that one hour might NOT be time to finish, but that's okay, because this is a paid test, and that if you see something you like, you'll give them more time.

re: "In regards to owning the rights to what they present is that by default or something I would have to specify?"

NO. You DO NOT need to specify anything about this. It is better to not even mention it, lest you confuse the contractors.

If you hire contractors using an hourly contract, then you own all of the work product produced while they work for your. If a contractor types a character, you own that character. If a contractor draws a line, it belongs to you. Now let me be clear that doesn't give you rights to copyrighted or licensed materials that the contractor uses which don't belong to them.

But you already understand that.

When I have had graphic designers create home pages for me, some of them used licensed/copyrighted images which they themselves did not create. I made sure they provided me with the source of the material and I purchased or licensed the images. I was paying them for design. I wasn't going to make them pay my licensing fees for my website.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
7 of 10

@Mark S wrote:

I am hoping I can get some advice on how I should proceed on my first project here.

I have developed requirements for a web site and have a developer in mind. They have asked for PSD designs for the site.

Your project has already failed.  If you have already hired them, ending the contract with that developer is the best way to proceed.

Community Guru
8 of 10

re: "Your project has already failed."

Darrin,

The reason for your statement is not clear to me.

Are you saying this because a legitimate developer would not ask for PSD designs, as that is something a designer would ask for, whereas a developer would only ask for project requirement documents?

Or do you simply not favor the use of PSD files as an element in website development?

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
9 of 10

Preston H wrote:

Are you saying this because a legitimate developer would not ask for PSD designs, as that is something a designer would ask for, whereas a developer would only ask for project requirement documents?

Or do you simply not favor the use of PSD files as an element in website development?

Why not both?  Using Photoshop as a starting point for web layout has always struck me as misguided.  Beyond that, yes, an experienced developer should be able to proceed with the functional part of a site long before there is any real need to define the particular kind of "view" that is fashionable for web design at any particular point in time.  I question the competence of anyone who says they can't proceed without a finalized CSS, never mind a PSD that needs to be sliced.

10 of 10

@Darrin O wrote:

@Mark S wrote:

I have developed requirements for a web site and have a developer in mind. They have asked for PSD designs for the site.

Your project has already failed.  If you have already hired them, ending the contract with that developer is the best way to proceed.

Hi Darrin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. I would appreciate you explain why you believe my project has already failed in this course of action.

Mark 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS