cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I know the freelance is really doing the job?

117f88a9
carl s Member Since: Oct 25, 2016
1 of 13

Greetings,

I hired a freelance to finish an E-Commerce web page already in progress.  She has been working on the site for one week and her progress has been very slow.  When I look at the screenshots most of them do not relate to my web page or products on my web page.  She has worked 30 hours and I'm seeing little progress. How would I know if she is really putting the work or not? Can the screenshots be manipulated? Is there a way that someone can check her work for me? I don't  understand much about web design.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 13

Does she upload her progress to a dev server? She should be able to upload any progress to a temp location and link you to it so you can see it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
3 of 13

@carl s wrote:

Greetings,

When I look at the screenshots most of them do not relate to my web page or products on my web page.

Red flag!!

Pause the contract, and talk to her. Also remember that you can only dispute hours worked the previous week (!) and only up to Friday the week following the week when the work was done.

Did you hire a freelancer with good history, great feedback etc?

View solution in original post

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
4 of 13

@carl s wrote:

Greetings,

(...) When I look at the screenshots most of them do not relate to my web page or products on my web page. (...)

Wait, wait, wait a sec here!

What do you mean most of them do not relate to my web page?

Carl, if she's on a houlrlie, which I suppose she is, and if we are talking about the screen shots that are taken by the Upwork's screen capture tool that you can see on your Upwork client's dashboard, then everything that you see must be related to YOUR job.

She is billing you for this.

If you see that she is working on something else, totally unrelated to the job for which you hired her, you need to stop the contract immediately (like right NOW) and to dispute the next working diary.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
5 of 13

The problem I have with the "it's not related to my website" is then he goes on to say that he doesn't know anything about web design. She could be googling something and reading a solution or even using a tool for development and he wouldn't know the difference between that and putzing around.

If we had the freelancer's profile (don't post it not allowed), I bet we could take an educated guess though! 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 13

Right Jen. The client needs to come back here with more info and ask for guidance. Also nothing prevents the client to PM the freelancer's profile to us.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 13

In all fairness, my positive cynicism is rarely correct. It's prolly not good news. But hay there is always hope this isn't just another terrible profile that passed the system even though the portfolio items are stolen and it says "3 or more years experience."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 13

Carl:

If you had 4 freelancers working for you, doing exactly the same task, or very similar tasks, then you would know in an hour or two which of them is the best, which is the worst, and which are in the middle.

Then you could continue working only with the best.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 13

@Preston H wrote:

Carl:

If you had 4 freelancers working for you, doing exactly the same task, or very similar tasks, then you would know in an hour or two which of them is the best, which is the worst, and which are in the middle.

Then you could continue working only with the best.

Lol Preston, you seem to be very fond of hiring hundreds of freelancers for every job that you post.

In all seriousness, do you do this all the time? Have you come across other clients who do the same (as much as you do), and does it work for them too?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 13

I don't always hire multiple freelancers for the same job. It is a strategy that has its place.

It is especially helpful when one has a tight deadline and one needs to ensure that the work is done on time.

It is also helpful when one wants to hire somebody to work on a large project, and one needs to pick the best value freelancer for the project. There is no way to do that worthout hiring multiple people. You can't know how a freelancer will work relative to other freelancers if you hire only one.

But I often hire only one person for a job, especially if I want to hire somebody to work with me immediately.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS