cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to react with client wanting me to bill less hours?

Tania A Member Since: Sep 9, 2017
1 of 7

I have a client who wanted urgent work done over the weekend, originally saying it would take 8-10 hours.  She agreed to my rate, and I completed the job for her in 6 hours and billed her manually.

Now she is asking me to reduce the hours to 4. I actually worked 6 hours. Should I now work with Upwork and make this a dispute or just let it go and never work with her again? I worked the entire 6 hours ans did a great job for her very quickly. She is new on Upwork, can she just ignore me now, and I won't get paid at all?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 7

Tania, because you recorded time manually, she can reduce your hours as much as she sees fit. So probably the best you can do now is do what she asks, but I would first make a screenshot of the hours you submitted, and her request to reduce the hours to 4, in case she might come back and ask you to reduce it further. Once you've been paid and the contract closed, you can leave honest feedback so other freelancers will know what tactics the client used. Anyway, you learned that one should use the time tracker whenever possible, especially when working with a new client.

3 of 7

The thing with manual time is that if you use it and the client disputes every single minute logged as manual time will be awarded to the client.

ONLY use manual time if you absolutely trust the client and the client specifically agreed to you not using the tracker.

And only if you are OK with potentially not getting paid.

I have never not been paid for manual time, but I know for a fact that if something goes wrong I am out of luck with manual time.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
4 of 7

I used a lot of manuel time here and there with multiple clients, for years: right up until this last spring. Even after a manuel time dispute was resolved, I vowed to never touch it again.

Just because a client SAYS they don't mind doesn't mean ANYTHING. (I billed more then usual one week because the UPWORK TIME TRACKER was down that week (for a lot of people). He'd never looked at my work Dairy until then, and freaked out.

So my advice, finish the work, and move on. And don't usual Manuel Time.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
5 of 7

@Tania A wrote:

I have a client who wanted urgent work done over the weekend, originally saying it would take 8-10 hours.  She agreed to my rate, and I completed the job for her in 6 hours and billed her manually.

Now she is asking me to reduce the hours to 4. I actually worked 6 hours. Should I now work with Upwork and make this a dispute or just let it go and never work with her again? I worked the entire 6 hours ans did a great job for her very quickly. She is new on Upwork, can she just ignore me now, and I won't get paid at all?

Clients don't dictate how long something will take me.

I tell them how long it will take. If they don't agree to that, then that's their prerogative and I go about my merry way connecting with other clients who are a better match.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Kat C wrote:  Tania A wrote:

I tell them how long it will take. If they don't agree to that, then that's their prerogative and I go about my merry way connecting with other clients who are a better match.

Absolutely, but with manual time if the client dsputes every second billed manually is gone.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
7 of 7

@Petra R wrote:

@Kat C wrote:  Tania A wrote:

Absolutely, but with manual time if the client dsputes every second billed manually is gone.

Oh yes. I know.

My main point was when a client says, "this should take X number of hours" that's a red flag to me.

A majority of my clients have no idea how long it takes to get the deliverable to their specifications as it is different with each project.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS