cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sense I've been totally scammed on Upwork

Ace Contributor
Paul G Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
11 of 46

#1 of 1.3 million people. #1 fraudster? I mean, you should at least make it look believable. Even college kids know you don't go for a perfect score cheating on exams. Guaranteed to get busted.

Yes I did dismiss the freelancer after I found the problem. But the damage was already done unfortunately. 

This is something Upwork needs to work on. There needs to be a holding period for these payments that allows time to verify work. Maybe selectable and agreeable by the 2 parties. After this, I'll only be using the fixed price method. I've had much better luck with that.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 46

@Paul G wrote:

There needs to be a holding period for these payments that allows time to verify work. 

Actually on hourly contracts Upwork gives you one week to check the previous week's work. You can dispute it during this holding period.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 46

@Rene K wrote:

@Paul G wrote:

There needs to be a holding period for these payments that allows time to verify work. 

Actually on hourly contracts Upwork gives you one week to check the previous week's work. You can dispute it during this holding period.

It is 5 days, and quality of deliverables is NOT a dispute reason, only manual time, low activity, non work related screenshots, and lacking memos etc.

In hourly contracts the client pays for the time spent working, not the quality of the work produced. 

Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
14 of 46

Was the time added using the app or manually? Manual time can be disputed.

If the time was billed using the app for what you feel was fraudulent activity I believe you can dispute that as well, but I am not sure.

It's unclear exactly what happened here when.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 46

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry to hear the freelancer's work disappointed you. We'll have the freelancers account reviewed and identity verified. If you haven't already, please communicate with the freelancer to resolve the issue. They should still be able to remove hours they logged this week. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
16 of 46

This is such a shame. I just Googled this. There are websites out there that are dedicated to Upwork test answers. I was actually surprised at the difficulty level. Geared more toward native English speakers rather than non-English. It would be a struggle just to complete in 60 minutes, let alone get 100% in 9 minutes. (Let's not even talk about the C++ test complete in 6 minutes). And in my freelancers case, her profile says English level fluent, Verified. Which was one of the reasons I chose her because I thought we could communicate well. Shame on Upwork for not automatically red flagging this obvious scammer.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 46

Paul:

You encountered a dishonest freelancer. You have already reported her.

There are dishonest freelancers on Upwork. There are freelancers who are trying to scam clients. There are freelancers who are cheating on tests and misrepresenting their identities and skills. Not just one person. Many thousands of freelancers are like this.

Upwork is actively taking measures to address all of these issues. But to a certain extent, it depends on the honest users of the platform to report these people when we encounter them. Reporting them one time is sufficient.

To maximize your own success and productivity, you need to stop thinking about her in any way, shape or form. You need to stop writing any more posts about that person.

Ace Contributor
18 of 46

@Preston H wrote:

Paul:

You encountered a dishonest freelancer. You have already reported her.

There are dishonest freelancers on Upwork. There are freelancers who are trying to scam clients. There are freelancers who are cheating on tests and misrepresenting their identities and skills. Not just one person. Many thousands of freelancers are like this.

Upwork is actively taking measures to address all of these issues. But to a certain extent, it depends on the honest users of the platform to report these people when we encounter them. Reporting them one time is sufficient.

To maximize your own success and productivity, you need to stop thinking about her in any way, shape or form. You need to stop writing any more posts about that person.

That is the biggest bunch of BS I've read here. So your advice is to just forget it, and let this keep happening? Really? You claim Upwork is "actively" taking measures? Really? Then why are the bogus test results still there waiting to bait another victim? No, Upwork isn't doing even close to what they say. It would take a good programmer a few days to write an algorithm and code to ferret out 95% of the cheaters.

Meanwhile, I still have hundreds of dollars of pending hours with no way to dispute and no response from Upwork. The scam continues.

You are part of the problem, not the solution!

Jamal M Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
19 of 46

Hi , I am also facing similar issue and dispute with my freelancer. It has been a week since I informed the Upwork. Nothing is done so far by Upwork Team. Let me inform you sir, In upwork anyone can be a client and freelancer simultaneously to maximize his/her ratings. My freelancer has a fake portfolio and paid reviews. He also claimed to have multiple accounts on Upwork and on other websites.

It seems Upwork can not tackle such fraud freelancers. What ever above Community Guru Preston has suggested is also very disappointing. His statement indicates as "its very normal to be cheated on Upwork. Any client can be cheated here so be prepare to "MOVE ON" in case at any moment". Wow Preston.

The moment you register with Upwork your hard earned money and precious time are on risk constantly.

"Justice delayed is justice denied"

Ace Contributor
20 of 46

@Jamal M wrote:
Hi , I am also facing similar issue and dispute with my freelancer. It has been a week since I informed the Upwork. Nothing is done so far by Upwork Team. Let me inform you sir, In upwork anyone can be a client and freelancer simultaneously to maximize his/her ratings. My freelancer has a fake portfolio and paid reviews. He also claimed to have multiple accounts on Upwork and on other websites. It seems Upwork can not tackle such fraud freelancers. What ever Paul has suggested is also very disappointing too. His statement indicates as "its very normal to be cheated on Upwork. Any client can be cheated here so be prepare to "MOVE ON" in case at any moment". Your hard earned money and precious time are on risk constantly. Wow Paul "Justice delayed is justice denied"

What has gotten me more angry than the fraudlancer, is the Upwork staff and community support that is enabling this to happen. They seem to feel this is the clients responsibility to screen fraudlancers that they have supposedly already screened. They say be more careful, or take your loss and move on. Well, those people have been using this site a lot more and longer than we have. They have learned how to weed out the bad ones and the fakes. I haven't yet. (Well, now I have) And I suspect this site has gotten exponetially worse over the lst couple of years, so when they started, they didn't just get thrown to the wolves. There are even groups of fraudlancers working together here. Its a shame that they don't at least weed out those BS test scores. That's sooooo easy to do. My fraudlancer that can barely speak English is still the 1st place rank on the English test. Until they do something about that, it's all lip service.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS