cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I'm being scammed by my freelancer

Nacho D Member Since: Dec 11, 2014
1 of 7

I feel terrible, I just realize that my freelancer looks like shes is a scammer (o part of a scam group).

I set 10 hours limit work and she spent 8 hours 20 minutes (I paused the job) to do nothing else but browsing through the Control Panel of the site.. No changes at all, files in the server have the same date that they have before.

When I asked her for an explanation she only begs for more time, saying she will give my money back if she don't do it, but I don't trust her anymore.

I also asked her to refund time but she is refusing to to it. Only if I give her another extra day.

I will file a dispute during the weekend, but I am afraid it will no help at all, since the screen shots are there and she can say she's been working on the project, Odesk can say she's been working so they don't respond for quality of the work. Even that there is any proof that he shas done any task, just being logged and browsing the control panel of the site.

Her Skype messages were confusing, with no sense, like "please wait i will confirm you some times". One of the screenshots is she forwarding my message to one of her contacts in Skype.

I don't know what else to do. I am very concerned about it.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 7

I would file your complaint with Odesk now not this weekend. Let Odesk handle the dispute. You should be able to do screenshots yourself of the dates not changing on the server. 

3 of 7

oDesk crew is saying I have to file a dispute, that I can not do until Monday because the dispute link is not available yet.

So, I will file the dispute once they charge me for the work not done.

My freelancer is pushing me to finish the contract and give her a good feedback if I want to get some of my money back. I feel like i am being blackmailed.

Before that she asked to resume the contract I paused so she can remove time logs, but she didn't do anything. Instead she just changed continions.. now she wants me to finish the contract an a good feedback.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 7

Did this communication take place through the oDesk? If so, make sure to point support to it. If not, make screenshots and attach it to your ticket. Feedback blackmail, or even the attempt to negotiate or request a certain rating is against the TOS and will get the freelancer in trouble. You don't have to deal with or give in to blackmail or any type of discussions around the rating you're to provide. Keep the contract paused and report it, today.

You should probably also change your log in details and lock her out of your infrastructure to avoid potential damage caused by irrational behaviour.

Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
5 of 7

Chump change only gets useless hacks that scam...

Should have hired a Digital Rockstar...

6 of 7

Maybe you are right, but my previous freelancer (same price) did a perfect work on time. That's why I was so confident and give 10 hours limit to begin with to the new freelancer.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 7

I am sorry to hear that your experience with this freelancer hasn't been pleasant and productive so far, Nacho.

Krisztina gave a very good piece of advice. If you have any evidence of the freelancer attempting to extort good feedback, please take screenshots of that communication and send it to Customer Support. Plus, the freelancer can still be convinced to remove the screenshots so you are not charged on Monday.

I really hope the situation will get resolved quickly and amicably.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS