cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: One thing I find really silly...

a5407902
Regan T Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
1 of 18

On so many occasions I come across profiles that state that the freelancer is a native English speaker with qualifications in writing, etc., yet their profile text is riddled with grammar issues, poor sentence structure, incorrect punctuation, and so on. It's really obvious - and silly, isn't it?

Am I the only one who's a tad bothered by this?

yelchuyev96
Ace Contributor
Bakhtiyar Y Member Since: Oct 13, 2016
2 of 18

It's just people, you know. We're all just...different. Some just lose their minds. Especially when it comes to money. Some don't use it in the first place.

a5407902
Regan T Member Since: Sep 5, 2016
3 of 18

Although it's pretty obvious, I should add that the thing that bothers me is the misrepresentation, not the fact that the person doesn't have perfect English. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 18

Hi Regan,

I agree that freelancers misrepresenting their skills neither reflects well on their character nor helps the marketplace. Upwork team does its best to find, review and take actions against such profiles. if you see a profile that misrepresents freelancer's skills, experience, location or any other information, please flag it as inappropriate. When it comes to English language proficiency, look for the blue checkmark next to the language level. It means that the level is verified either by certifications of by several clients who worked with the freelancer before.

Screenshot_8.png

You can find out more about it from Garnor's post here.

~ Valeria
Upwork
nerijusc
Nerijus C Member Since: Mar 18, 2015
5 of 18

Certifications can be easily cheated. There are plenty of websites offering UpWork Language test answers... just copy/paste and you are 100% fluent. I would just have a chat with freelancer before making a decission .

p.s. I'm a freelancer.

khurram4m
Community Guru
Khurram J Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
6 of 18

I think some new comers also get confused with term "bilingual" , Maybe they assume that if they can understand or speak english to any level that makes them bilingual,Also the first option in language selction says "Native or Bilingual", I think it should be only "Native" to prevent any confusion.

When I first joined upwork I was also going to select this option but then I thought it must be for "natives only"  otherwise it won't be listed at top level Smiley Very Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 18

Nerijus: English fluency certification is completely separate from skills tests. It can not be cheated in any practical way.

Anybody can CLAIM any level of English language profiency. They might lie. They might tell the truth.

But if you were familiar with what it takes to be CERTIFIED, you would see that it's not a system that one can cheat.

It is possible that clients a freelancer works with will inaccurately confirm a freelancer's English language skills. But an Upwork user has no control over getting certified via client feedback. And such certification is not permanent.

The more permanent method of getting English certified via Duolingo or another accepted certification source makes it pretty much impossible to cheat. I've been through it. Tests are proctored, government-issued ID is carefully checked, and security is stringent.

nerijusc
Nerijus C Member Since: Mar 18, 2015
8 of 18

Understood. I just mixed skill test with certification.

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
9 of 18

Not only you botherd by this, I think all we annoyed by this, if the freelancer's overview is full of ......., How I can expect good work from him or her

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 18

@Farid Ahammed B wrote:

Not only you botherd by this, I think all we annoyed by this, if the freelancer's overview is full of ......., How I can expect good work from him or her

That's so funny coming from you, when you still claim "fluent" English skills on your own profile.

You heard the old saying "Those who sit in glasshouses should not throw stones?"

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS