cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Searching for Freelancers

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
1 of 17

I would really appreciate some feedback from the moderators or customer service.

I posted a job and then went searching for a freelancer. 

I put in the specific category and sub-category and chose the rating and expert level.

Up comes a list of people for me to review and hardly any of them have the skill I'm looking for and do not even have it listed in their profile that they do this kind of work.

I'm being shown totally irrelevant people.

How can I better refine my search criteria so I don't get people with all the wrong qualifications?

As well, people who say they do the kind of work I'm look for - don't really do it. I chose a few people to look at and when I go to their portfolio they have nothing to show that backs up their claim that they do this kind of work.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
2 of 17

I just posted the exact same question (but from a freelancer's perspective) here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Question-about-search-algo/m-p/82554#U82554

It's the 4th time I have posted the question in the past 2 weeks.

An answer/explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
3 of 17

Where is the answer please?

Ace Contributor
sathyashrayan N Member Since: May 26, 2015
4 of 17

In this competitive world People wants to assure their next meal. The annoying thing is that they dont even look at the job description. The minute you post a job you will be flooded with proposal. The worst is they wont even post anything relevant to the required job. All they use is ctrl+c and ctrl+v. A perfect example is very much in this thread. Scroll down.. Smiley Tongue

As a entry level freelancer this is what I do. I put a job into my watch section for 4 days. I keep watching  the client's last active login time and Interview count. If I see some activity going in the job then I will take some time to guide the proposed issue/job.

Most of the client post job here as a one of a source among several freelancing portals. I have seen jobs posted with same description in both odesk, elance, freelancer in the same time and same day. Smiley Happy

Upwork should have a process where the client could click a button and inform that the job proposal is irreverent to what the actual requirements is. By this process they could eliminate some copy pasted spam proposals. May be its already there. Since I only post job applications I am not sure.

Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
5 of 17

It's weird on the freelancer end! I recieved an invitation to interview for a job that wanted a voice talent in Japanese...???? Very confusing! I only speak English! haha

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
6 of 17

I am bumping this thread because I too am interested in this. I understand that releasing information on this might be a double-edged sword because if freelancers can figure out how to make them show up more/higher on searches, this will most definitely be exploited. (Although, on the other hand, I do believe there should be guidance for freelancers to improve their search ranking and I don't see why this kind of guidance isn't offered - or did I miss it?)

However, I do hire on Upwork occasionally, either translators or transcriptionists. Just now I did a search on "German transcription", I doubt there is any other better description of what I am looking for to type into the search box (if there is, please enlighten me?)

At the very top of my search result list is a freelancer whom I had recently hired as a German to English translator. They also have "English transcription" in their headline. The previous hiring experience with them was a  good one (as captured by the feedback I gave), so I could understand why Upwork wants to "remind" me of this experience (although I am certainly able to remember perfectly fine, thank you), but at the same time this freelancer absolutely isn't what I am looking for. I also tried "German+transcription" as I didn't know whether this has an impact on the search results (and this freelancer doesn't have this combination anywhere in their profile), but same result, they are on top of my list again.

Apart from the fact that Upwork's incorporation of my previous hiring data into this search is not useful at all in this case, the overall search result is extremely unsatisfactory. Under 10% of the contractors of the first 5 pages I went through offer what I am looking for. "German transcriptionist" completely jumbled results around but with the same overall results.

Filters didn't help much either. Obviously I would be interested to see only contractors with such and such feedback or hours worked, but only AFTER I get results that pretty much only shows freelancers who actually offer what I am looking for.

I would really appreciate some advise on how this search experience can be improved from a client's perspective. Posting a job in order to see what "confident freelancers" apply isn't really an option, I have already tried that before. But I want to avoid having to sift through the applications and want to contact/hire people directly since I absolutely know what I am looking for, but am unable to find it?

Thanks and best regards.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
7 of 17

Is someone from management going to address these questions and tell us what is going on?

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 17

Apart from getting confused about where to look for a freelancer (found!) - I found the search so confusing and time-consuming that I gave up, googled and found someone on the Internet, who has done the job without fuss and extremely well.

Ace Contributor
John S Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
9 of 17

A lot of things have only been getting worse since oDesk united with Elance and especially after rebranding to Upwork - the irony is they went Downhill.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 17

I asked about this in another post, but it was a tangent to the main topic there, so I hope it's ok to repeat it here. My question is this. This link supposedly searches for freelancers in my area of expertise:

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/browse/?q=WordPress

Exactly how are the results ordered? It's not by job success, feedback score, hours, first or last name, location, hourly rate, or last active. Is it random?

-------------------------------------

Later edit: it's not keyword either, because on the first page of the results is a developer who doesn't mention WordPress once in his profile. It's quite mystifying. Maybe there's a coded message in some of the profiles or even the profile image. (That's been done in a couple of novels I've read.) Robot surprised