cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Issues

Steve D Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
1 of 8

Question - if Upwork is using Freelancers from the Upwork network to code/manage the Upwork site, can you let us know who they are so we can avoid hiring them

Alternatively, if Upwork is not using Upwork Registered Freelancers, maybe you should hire some good ones and get these issues fixed so the rest of us can get on with our projects and hopefully make the world a little better in the process.

As a computer scientist with 30yrs experience, there really isn't any excuse in this day and age for releasing a system this bad to your customers. It is unusable with any reliability.

I miss the days of using Odesk.

Unfortunately, now elance has also fallen victim to what some have described as the "Upwork Virus" Smiley Sad

Please get the system back soon!

Alexey K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 8

Agree.

Upwork has become unusable.

I'd suggest just to drop the messaging system at all and integrate something like XMPP (Jabber).

It's just impossible to communicate with clients currently.

Who came up with showing "Did you know?" tips while the page is loading?

You should fire them right away.

Instead of profiling and improving page load time, they googled for the "interesting facts". That's ridiculous.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
3 of 8

@Steve D wrote:

Question - if Upwork is using Freelancers from the Upwork network to code/manage the Upwork site, can you let us know who they are so we can avoid hiring them

Upwork has posted jobs on this site in the past.  I don't recall ever seeing them post for anything higher than the Intermediate skill level.  Your best shot at avoiding those people is to focus your hiring on Expert freelancers.

Ace Contributor
Vadivelan R Member Since: Aug 28, 2015
4 of 8

Upwork should not recruit any of its own freelancers. As a matter of fact, not even from other freelance sites. No professionally managed marketplace will do this. But they may recruit for work, which is not directly related with Upwork.com marketplace.

It is called Conflict of interest on the part of freelancers. If they recruit me to work in their code.. I will learn how their algorithm gives "Recommended" status, on what basis it suggest the freelancers to get invited, and countless of other such stuff..

After the work finish, I will make use of these insider information to my advantage. Even if I am not intended, how it will be even possible to forget something that got into my mind? When I am doing something to improve my chances in the marketplaces.. a question will pop-up in my mind.."hey, you doing this because this is just common sense or because you know the inside information?".

They should recruit some other companies or directly employ people... and have a contract with them saying that company and those developers will never ever use the Upwork platform.

Brian K Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
5 of 8

Why is elance merging with upworks?  It appears they have chosen the less reliable system to migrate onto instead of moving Upworks over to the Elance infrastructure.

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 8

@brian K wrote:

Why is elance merging with upworks?  It appears they have chosen the less reliable system to migrate onto instead of moving Upworks over to the Elance infrastructure.

Many of us who have been here since the early days of Odesk (same site, befere the name change in spring of 2015) have wondered the same thing.

While I personally have no issue with any of the folks that were forced to migrate, from a business perspective, it seems the migration was poorly planned.

The worst part of this, Brian, is less them 1 year ago at the time of this writing, this site was so much better overall.

Then, in small increments this year, they kept changing things, which broke other things, and it's been an endless messy cycle of pain for us ever since.

Please kind in mind when I say "us" I mean the entire user base, clients and freelancers both. Personally I am primarily a freelancer,  but have reqruited freelancers here on behalf of my clients.  My current clients  are really fed-up with problems, and they don't live inside the site like I do.

I've came across your posts today, and can't blame you for feeling really frustrated.  I'm building other ways to find clients and freelancers, because the site is just too problamatic to use as a primary source of clients or freelancers. And some of my clients have even asked me, "where is everyone going". I don't have an easy answer for that.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
7 of 8

Brian K - I don't think it was a merger, I think it's more in the line of an aqusition. There's a difference between the two, and what has happened puts Elance more in the line of being aquired.

Community Leader
HB B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
8 of 8

Hey there Vadivelan,

I really enjoy your posts. Full of easy to understand information, even for someone like me who is not the most tech-savy person. Thank you!

Best, 

Bruno

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS