Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open letter to Stephane Kasriel regarding Elance shut down

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
11 of 21

@Virginia M wrote:

I have been a member (of Elance) since 2012, but my posts list me as joining in 2015, so I assume that my work on Elance is irrelevant to Upwork, even though other information has been transferred. Apparently Upwork assumes that future clients don't need or want this kind of information. Then why include it at all? Just another in a long list of shortcomings on this site.

Really???

The date under your name in the forum is the date you opened a forum account. It has nothing to do with clients.  

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
12 of 21

@Jean S wrote:

Really???

The date under your name in the forum is the date you opened a forum account. It has nothing to do with clients.  

I don't think so. I created my freelancer profile on September 5, 2012, and first posted on the forum on March 2014 - but 'Registered date' is September 5.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
13 of 21

@Barbara L wrote:

I have seen up to 200 people applying for a single job in the past couple of weeks, which is not a good situation for the client or the freelancer.

I disagree completely.  If I look at a job and see 200 applicants (really, anything getting above ~50) I instantly know that the client doesn't know how to do their job, and so I know not to bother applying to work with them.  That leaves me free to spend my time finding better clients.  About the only thing better is seeing clients with many jobs posted and 0 hires.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 21

As a client, I would never have 200 applicants for a job.

I'm not saying my style is appropriate for every client, but here is what I have done in the past:

I need something done, so I post a job, and I have waited for applicants and then hired the first person who applied and said they knew how to do what I needed.

As soon as I hired the first applicant, I closed the job, although kept it available in case I needed to open it again.

I let them go to work, and monitored their work, ready to thank them and send them on their way if they weren't helpful.

When I have done this, I was EXTREMELY pleased!

I hired people to help with complex technical/networking/configuration problems, and they did a great job.

Other times I have posted jobs for which I wanted more applicants, and I was not in so much of a hurry. I ended up with between 10 to 20 applicants, and I read over their profiles and job applications to choose the people who I wanted to hire. Then I closed the job. I definitely would not keep a job open while it filled up with hundreds of applicants.

To me that sounds like a client is either being irresponsible, or is just running some kind of scam.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
15 of 21

@Preston H wrote:

To me that sounds like a client is either being irresponsible, or is just running some kind of scam.

I see it most often when a client posts a bland, generic job with absolutely no effort put into really trying to find a good match for them.  Maybe you'd consider that irresponsible.  Smiley Happy  To me, it smacks of an approach that says the client has a job that just about anyone can do, and so there should be no surprise at all if just about everyone applies.

A smart client would do like you do: if it really is something just about anyone could do, hire anyone (or multiple anyones!) and don't bother sorting through the masses of applicants.  Or, on the flip side, craft a better job post with the proper amount of details that would allow freelancers to know whether or not they'd be a good fit and thus not bother wasting their Connects if they weren't.  It's not rocket surgery.  Robot LOL

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
16 of 21

@Darrin O wrote:
 It's not rocket surgery.  Robot LOL

Is that somewhere between brain surgery and rocket science? Cat Wink

17 of 21

Amanda,

I agreed your thoughts! My invite rate is very low after merging the profile with Upwork. Definetly we need "Page and book design" category. You see most of the clients budget are verly low. I am very disappointed with Upwork! Upwork should control on some way about the low bidding!

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
18 of 21

Hi Ramesh,

I wonder your lowering your rate has made Upwork categorize you as a beginner and you are getting filtered out by clients who are looking for freelancers at expert level.

Gordon B Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
19 of 21

Simply put, I want Elance back.

My company has hired freelancers off Elance to fill in on key projects, and we were very happy with the site and quality of the responses we got.  Upwork however, is literally useless.  We require an on-site orientation to get famliar with the job, go through our HR process, and resolve intial questions, but Upwork has no provision for filtering applicants by city or even state.  Although I can still see all the candiates in Elance that I would like to hire, I am unable to direct them to my Upwork posting.  While I added a question in my Upwork job posting "Can you work on-site in Portland" I am getting flooded by freelancers located in Pakistan, India, and elsewhere answering "Yes".

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
20 of 21

@Gordon B wrote:
While I added a question in my Upwork job posting "Can you work on-site in Portland" I am getting flooded by freelancers located in Pakistan, India, and elsewhere answering "Yes".

Maybe they're all willing to move.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS