Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

And this is another reason why i'm moving from upwork

Ace Contributor
Natanael R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 90

Hi:

FIrst of all i want to thanks Ryan from upwork for his time, i know it is not your fault and you are just following guides from upwork.

 

No, this is not another rant about the last year upwork fees increase. I have been working with upwork since 2011 coming from another freelancer sites and i  felt more confortable with the upwork UI and support  team than with other sites so i decided to make it my only "search engine" for jobs. The support was great, the charges were fair and the most important thing is that they cared about freelancers.

Starting 2017 i started to reduce my work in upwork because i did not agree with the last upwork fees changes because  i'm from Europe living in a special VAT status area( Canary islands https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/other-taxes/turnover-taxes-canary-islands_en ) where we don't have VAT number but IGIC and by law can't be charged by VAT. Upwork did not agree with me so i filled a complain to the european commission and closes my argue with upwork since they maybe didn't have enough experience in that field or thought i was trying to bypass the VAT fees.

I have a 5 stars profile, i sent a hundred documents to verify my account long time ago, i'm a freelancer plus member,  dev team group member, never had a single client complain,etc so i think my profile is at least reliable.

Suddenly today my account was "in hold" and they required me to verify my profile with a video call because:

"We occasionally ask Upwork users to take this step as part of our efforts to ensure our site continues to be a secure place for freelancers and clients to connect and collaborate." .

 

I'm happy when upwork tries to make his site secure but i think the process is a mess:

 

1-  I was not able to send any proposal until verified.

2 - I had 1 week to verify my account, what if i'm in holidays ?

3- I'm from Spain but speak both spanish and english, i asked for a spanish call so they can verify i'm from the place my identity says but they only speak english.

4- The call is made in skype instead of using the video call system built in in upwork.

5- In the videocall they do not have the video camera online so you can't verify that's the person you are talking in upwork, in fact they says it is disabled by upwork. Before the call yo have to open a support chat window in the upwork site but what if there's a security issue in upwork and someone is faking it?, if they are worried about security i also want to be sure 100% the person i'm talking to is from upwork team.

6- I explained to Ryan my complains and he said it is a process made to ALL upwork freelancers. AFAIK and reading again the email they sent ("We occasionally ask Upwork users to take this step as part of our efforts to ensure our site continues to be a secure place for freelancers and clients to connect and collaborate.") it is only made when they find suspicious activity. If they started making this process for everyone, they never sent a TOS change email to notify it.

 

So that's it, i feel harassed and treat like a criminal and that's the last thing i expect from a job search site.

 

My whining ends here, thanks for your time!

 

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
2 of 90

@Natanael R wrote:

it is only made when they find suspicious activity.

  


 No, it's not. I was requested to make this videocall as well, and I can really tell you there wasn't anything suspicious about my account. At all.

 

That being said, I see your security concerns and that the whole process has still room for improvement, but you should at least give Upwork some credit for trying to ensure a safer working environment for all of us.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Ace Contributor
Natanael R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 90

Will paste again the email they sent me when my account was in hold:

 

We occasionally ask Upwork users to take this step as part of our efforts to ensure our site continues to be a secure place for freelancers and clients to connect and collaborate.

 

So basically you say they changed the TOS  i signed when i signed up without a single notice, and is validating/put on hold millions of accounts with a web cam?.  That is technically hard to believe. 

 

"you should at least give Upwork some credit for trying to ensure a safer working environment for all of us."

 

As i said before i'm happy that they put efforts to make the site more secure but the whole process is a mess. I wan't to be treat like a person and not a criminal.

Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
4 of 90

@Natanael R wrote:

 

  As i said before i'm happy that they put efforts to make the site more secure but the whole process is a mess. I wan't to be treat like a person and not a criminal.


 Well, the process still needs some improvements, but I can confirm you that it took me no more than ten minutes to complete it. And nobody treated me like a criminal. To be honest, the Upwork representative who handled my case was particularly kind and helpful. 

 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Ace Contributor
Natanael R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 90

The support guy was great and kind, i'm sorry if you misunderstood that i said i felt like a criminal because of him. I mean globally with upwork, not the guys fault.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 90

@Natanael R wrote:

The support guy was great and kind, i'm sorry if you misunderstood that i said i felt like a criminal because of him. I mean globally with upwork, not the guys fault.


 If you feel like a criminal because Upwork introduced a new verification system and applied it to you in exactly the same way it is applied to millions of other freelancers, that's odd and seems a bit egocentric.

 

That said, the practice of freezing ability to submit proposals BEFORE giving notice that you're place in the rotation is up rather than giving a time period in which you must verify to prevent being blocked from submitting proposals is 100% unacceptable and unprofessional. I don't blame you a bit for considering leaving Upwork for that reason.

 

I like Upwork quite a lot and have made a fair amount of money here in the past year, but when the company decides to randomly interrupt the flow of my business and give me the opportunity to correct that only after the fact even though there is no claim that I've done anything wrong, there is a significant possibility that I will make the same decision. I'm sure many successful professionals agree with you on that point, as it makes no sense to rely on a provider that finds it acceptable to disrupt our businesses without cause.

This widget could not be displayed.
7 of 90
This widget could not be displayed.

If I were Upwork I would concentrate at first on those profiles with irregularities such as location and time zone that do not fit, false English native claims that do not correspond with the CV and the profile overview, fake profile photos stolen from somewhere else, people who have 6-8 native languages on their profile, irregularities on profile, such as having a university degree or even an academic title and only doing data entry jobs, profiles that have been flagged etc. There are so many of these profiles and a lot of work to be done.

Then I would elimate all those profiles without profile photos and the numerous profiles without earnings for years and those profiles that are fake at first glance.

Having completed all this I would think about if it is necessary to check Nichola, Preston, Petra, Jennifer, Tiffany etc. or not.

Putting accounts on hold that belong to freelancers who are not suspected for anything and whose profiles have not been flagged without any warning before goes too far. Account holds only make sense if freelancers have done something wrong.

Woman Surprised

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 90


Having completed all this I would think about if it is necessary to check Nichola, Preston, Petra, Jennifer, Tiffany etc. or not.

Putting accounts on hold that belong to freelancers who are not suspected for anything and whose profiles have not been flagged without any warning before goes too far. Account holds only make sense if freelancers have done something wrong.

Woman Surprised


Lol!

 

Upwork, you are welcome to a video from me, but you will have to pay for the webcam - because I don't have this on my antediluvian system. My beloved Apple laptop no longer allows it as a zillion things on it are defunct, and the machine is now on life support. I just haven't the heart to unplug it.

 

But I agree with Margarete.

This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 90
This widget could not be displayed.

@Nichola L wrote:

Lol!

 

Upwork, you are welcome to a video from me, but you will have to pay for the webcam - because I don't have this on my antediluvian system. My beloved Apple laptop no longer allows it as a zillion things on it are defunct, and the machine is now on life support. I just haven't the heart to unplug it.

 

But I agree with Margarete.

_____________
This can happen to any of us very soon. Other well-known freelancers like John or Kat have been interviewed already. 
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
10 of 90

@Margarete M wrote:

@Nichola L wrote:

Lol!

 

Upwork, you are welcome to a video from me, but you will have to pay for the webcam - because I don't have this on my antediluvian system. My beloved Apple laptop no longer allows it as a zillion things on it are defunct, and the machine is now on life support. I just haven't the heart to unplug it.

 

But I agree with Margarete.

_____________
This can happen to any of us very soon. Other well-known freelancers like John or Kat have been interviewed already. 

Oh yes. And it happened when I was the Featured Contributor. So, the wheels of Upwork powers roll over *just* about everyone at some point.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS