🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Electronic H/W Freelancers & Client: How are ...
Page options
dyumnin
Community Member

Electronic H/W Freelancers & Client: How are you dealing with the global semiconductor shortage?

outOfStock.pngI provide a standard service of turnkey microcontroller based system design. i.e. I handle everything from Component sourcing, PCB Design and fabrication, Firmware development to Prototype testing.

Today, while doing a BOM Check I discovered that most of the components that I use in my Design are

1. out of Stock
  2. Have a very long lead time
  3. Require purchase of the entire reel!

Under these circumstances I can no longer provide my standard turnkey solution service...(Long lead time would mean a wait time of one year from project start, just to get the required parts!)

Is anyone else facing this problem? How are you addressing it?

2 REPLIES 2
astepanov83
Community Member

I think shortage of electronic components is worldwide. Some are less affected less, some more. I had been wanting to buy a 3090 RTX since it came out. But it was too overpriced. A month ago I built a new PC for my work. And so I acquired 3090 as well for the price almost twice more than recommended.

In my case I had to pay extra money, but I could get what I wanted. In your case there seem to be no way to buy it. Hopefully you can find another supplier.

shefen
Community Member

Is there a market for used chips? I have a closet full of old computers and parts. I need to start doing something with them soon.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths