Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expert and entry level *

florencew
Ace Contributor
Florence W Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
21 of 29

John K .. thanks so much for the input.  It's hard for me to not think of a portfolio as a place for images and graphic work etc.  What else do you add?  I'll take care of your suggestions, right now.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 29

re: "It's hard for me to not think of a portfolio as a place for images and graphic work etc. What else do you add?"

ANYTHING!

Suppose you do accounting... You could post spreadsheets or reports that you create specifically as a portfolio piece. You could use all the SAME files and formats and techniques as you do with your actual accounting clients, but you would not be using any real or confidential information. You could name the client company something obviously fake, like Acme Demo Client," to make it clear that you're not divulging private info.

You could even post medical transcription files into your portfolio. As long as it isn't real information. Pair a mocked-up audio file with an example of your excellent transcription work.

I can't think of ANY type of work that you could not add to your portfolio.

Let's think of something that wouldn't even be a job you could typically post on Upwork... Suppose you have had many years of professional experience as a physical rehabilitation trainer for amputees.

You could take a photo of the rehab center you worked at or use a free icon representing rehab training, or a picture of training equipment from a vendor.

You could write a few lines describing the work that you did and your qualifications.

Portfolio pieces in Upwork allow you to include pictures, various file types, captions, longer descriptions and links. Don't limit yourself to Photoshop work.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
23 of 29

@Florence W wrote:

John K .. thanks so much for the input.  It's hard for me to not think of a portfolio as a place for images and graphic work etc.  What else do you add?  I'll take care of your suggestions, right now.

You're welcome, but I'm in an different line of work, so not sure what else you should add. A Quickbooks equivalent to a spreadsheet, if there is such a thing? You could do a quick freelancer search or 2 for your specialties, and look over a few top rated profiles to get an idea what your competitors put in their portfolios.

24 of 29

Preston and John K  - great help.  Thanks.  I guess I don't see spreadsheets as being that "exciting"  to look at 🙂  but in context, I guess they'll be a good help.  I do a lot of contact clean up for people, but I don't know how to show that without devulging personal info.  I guess like one of you said, a document with quick descriptions of things I have done and any links to website work and screen shots of email blasts when I do them.  Maybe include the time it took me, to give the potential client an idea of what they shoule be expecting.  A million times, thank you.

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
25 of 29

@Florence W wrote:

Preston and John K  - great help.  Thanks.  I guess I don't see spreadsheets as being that "exciting"  to look at 🙂  but in context, I guess they'll be a good help.  I do a lot of contact clean up for people, but I don't know how to show that without devulging personal info.  I guess like one of you said, a document with quick descriptions of things I have done and any links to website work and screen shots of email blasts when I do them.  Maybe include the time it took me, to give the potential client an idea of what they shoule be expecting.  A million times, thank you.

I do a lot of training video stuff for my client's and their teams. I've been thinking of creating some "fake training videos" to put in my Portfolio. These would just be recorded video of me moving my mouse around on websites and inside documents, with my voice narrating. (Clarifying this in case your anti-people-video, which a lot of freelancers are.). Heh.

And I totally second what the other folks in this thread have said. I don't do design work either, and it's been tough trying to think of things to create to use as promo material.

Edit: Clarity

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
26 of 29

Florence, I would recommend not putting time element(s) into samples. Not all jobs are the same and you want to avoid a client expecting something back "in 5" because he saw that in your portfolio.

florencew
Ace Contributor
27 of 29

Wendy C - you are right.  It was a "brain storm" idea.  But IF I did, i would provide an ESTIMATE of time and add a bit for contingencies.  I likely won't because you are right, you might say this was 10 pages, it took 2 hours, so someone will come along and say this is only 20 pages, no reason it shouldn't be 2 1/2 hours.  Note to Self:  scratch the time frame idea  🙂

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 29

Florence, 'cos you're still in the thread - John's comment about adding PhotoShop is excellent. 

I'm looking at your profile now; do you prefer VA work or photo and graphic editing work?  My bet is that they might command a higher rate and be less crowded with competitors than VA.

If you are equally comfortable in both - reverse your highlighted skills.

florencew
Ace Contributor
29 of 29

Wendy C - actually, truth be told, I much prefer doing graphics work, but I don't consider myself a graphic designer and my resume doesn't show graphic designer, because I've been in Office Management jobs for so long.  I'll emphasize my graphics so I have some more options.  Also, as I get more "adept" at social media, which I am working on for other means of income, I should be able to add that too.

Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS