🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Free tools for Upwork Freelancers
Page options
2c3ca9d0
Community Member

Free tools for Upwork Freelancers

Question, do you know of any free, third-party tools specifically designed to help freelancers on Upwork? If so, can you share what they are?

I am asking because I am about to release two free tools for Upwork Freelancers that I created to help me and my partner on the Platform.

The first tool is a Profile Optimizer that uses AI-powered suggestions to recommend improvements to a freelancer's profile.

The second is a Proposal Maker that simplifies the process of creating and managing Upwork cover letter proposals.

Both are 100% free with nothing to purchase and we are releasing them as a service to help other freelancers and to showcase our development skills.

Do you know of other third-party tools available that are free to use and specifically designed for Upwork Freelancers?

Please reply as it may be of service to others here.

17 REPLIES 17
c884877b
Community Member

None that I know of.Please I interested.

Of course, you can see them at**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Both tools are 100% free to use and you will need to sign-in to save your work. But other than that, you can use them as much as you want.

On the technical side, the Optimizer is my favorite because of how we leveraged AI to review profiles to make suggestions. But on the practical side, the Proposal Maker is our go-to tool for managing Upwork proposals.

Thanks for asking about them and I hope you enjoy using them. 

bf97c28c
Community Member

Hi, Sean. It's an interesting thing, but I wasn't aware of the initial two resources. If you may, Please provide a link for them. Thank you

You can see them online at **Edited for Community Guidelines**

We created the Profile Optimizer by aggregating advice from Upwork and other knowledge sources, added them to an AI knowledge library, and used that library to compare your profile with the recommendations. What's cool about the tool is that you will get suggestions and examples on how to improve your specific profile.

The Proposal Maker tool was something we created out of frustration with Notion. We wanted to keep a record of all our proposals and have access to some templates that we could customize. So we created this tool to just make proposal management easier.

They are 100% free to use and you will need to sign in to the system. Hope you enjoy them and thank you for asking.

Freelancers on Upwork are supposed to inform clients of any use of so-called AI in profiles, proposals, messages, jobs, or any activity with a client. Additionally, freelancers must ensure the material is nowhere online in the 100+ platforms.

Jeanne, so glad you replied. You are probably one of the most active people in the community.

You raise an interesting point and let me clarify. The Profile Optimizer uses AI for suggestions, similar to what Grammarly does for writers. If you are not familiar, Grammarly is an AI tool that writers use to get suggestions on how to improve their grammar (and spelling). 

Also, as you know, Upwork is ACTIVELY promoting JasperAI to freelancers and I have not seen in the Upwork TOS that you need to disclose that JasperAI was used to help improve profiles. If I am wrong, please let me know.

As for the Profile Maker, no AI used in it.

I know a lot of writers are concerned about the evolution of AI and how it will impact their profession. I think with Upwork embracing AI in different ways, and encouraging freelancers to use it, we will see more AI tools in the space but with a lot more human editors in the mix.

Regardless, thank you so much for adding your POV to this discussion.

Thank you Sean 

please how do I go about the optimization my profile is such a mess

You raise an interesting point and let me clarify. The Profile Optimizer uses AI for suggestions, similar to what Grammarly does for writers. If you are not familiar, Grammarly is an AI tool that writers use to get suggestions on how to improve their grammar (and spelling).

First, this is not AI. I work in medicine and science mostly, and the chatbots and Grammarly are not AI. They use predictive language and are incorrect often. I never use any program for spelling, grammar, etc. because they all make serious mistakes. I would never be able to do what I do with some program.

Also, as you know, Upwork is ACTIVELY promoting JasperAI to freelancers and I have not seen in the Upwork TOS that you need to disclose that JasperAI was used to help improve profiles. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Oh, of course! How else can you get millions of completely unskilled and not ready to freelance people to apply and perhaps get a job? The majority of people never get a job on Upwork, according to Upwork, chatbots or not. Yes, Upwork is all in on AI, except they are calling the ChatGPT et al. AI, which it is not.

I'll find the link. Yes, you are supposed to notify the client of any and all use, messages, applications, work, everything. And you have to make sure it's not used on any other online platform. There are over 130 and counting.

I know a lot of writers are concerned about the evolution of AI and how it will impact their profession. I think with Upwork embracing AI in different ways, and encouraging freelancers to use it, we will see more AI tools in the space but with a lot more human editors in the mix.

Well, despite the dire warnings, this freelancer is doing just fine and will never use the chatbots. For one thing, I don't need them. I would lose all of my clients if I did. I'm not the least bit worried about chatbots. They present no threat to my work, and in fact, I have more work than I can handle because so many people refuse to allow anything to do with the supposed AI chatbots.

Of course, there will be more fake AI - chatbots, etc. because how else will you get totally unskilled people to put together a coherent proposal?

I work with cutting edge programs that are much closer to AI than anything most people have ever imagined, chatbots and predictive, they are not. And guess what? When any new program is being developed, it is crucial all previous contributors in any way are contacted, asked to participate or if their work can be used. No one wants to have a legal issue arise from the use of stolen material. Until the chatbots acknowledge and compensate the victims of their theft, it will not be ethical. No one will address the very real issues around the chatbots, like plagiarism - theft, inability to get copyrights, and the many lawsuits over misidentification, incorrect data, etc.

I would, sincerely, like for some "AI" expert to address these very real legal issues that all freelancers need to be aware of before using the programs with informed use. I would also like to see someone who understands the difference between predictive language and real AI.

Sean

The only note is the hyperlink to the "Community Guidelines." What about the tools you made?

the-right-writer
Community Member

The majority of freelancers would benefit from learning how to create stellar profiles and exemplary proposals instead of using a limited chatbot program.

Jeanne, 100% agree that it is always best to take the time to learn and experiment with writing. But to be fair, it takes a lot of time to master well. And the reality is most freelancers (outside of copywriters) do not have the time or inclination. 

IMO, where AI helps is when knowledge bases are combined with LLM systems! Why? Because instead of being generic (like most general queries are in systems like ChatGPT), they become more tailored in their output in providing suggestions and meaningful results.

When we designed the Profile Optimizer for PouncerAI the interesting technical challenge was pairing down all the advice into a cohesive knowledge base that aligned with our view of Profile creation and fine-tuning the suggestions it provides. Yes it took a lot of time and work but technically, it was a great example of how AI can be tailored and directed to aid freelancers.

Personally, I find AI systems to be more of a "collaborative partner" than a wholesale replacement. That is why I am a big fan of AI tools like Grammarly and Copilot; designed to aid in an existing process.

Thank you for your reply and appreciate your POV. 

Jeanne, 100% agree that it is always best to take the time to learn and experiment with writing. But to be fair, it takes a lot of time to master well. And the reality is most freelancers (outside of copywriters) do not have the time or inclination.

If a person who wants to freelance, doesn't have the time or inclination to learn, and uses other people's material, they are fakes, pretenders, and scammers, which we have in abundance on this platform. You think clients want to hire unskilled, lazy, unmotivated cheats just because they can use a program? That is the deadbeat way of scamming money, and while lots of people do it, they are scammers, not freelancers. They should not be freelancing. If you can't be bothered with education, skills or doing the work yourself, you are a fake, and will never be a freelancer

One of the reasons they deceive clients is through the use of the Chatbots (ChatGPT, Jasper, BARD, all steal without compensation). Of course, it helps, you are getting it for free, with no compensation or even acknowledgement of where that wonderful writing or coding came from. So, you think it's just fine for unskilled people, who lack the time and motivation to learn real skills, to just use the plagiarism programs to fake their way to pretending they have skills, when they can marginally use a chatbot.

Well, thank you for clarifying that you are another one who don't think you need real skills. This is why there is so much garbage on profiles, proposals, and clogging client feeds. And why Upwork's reputation for quality work has taken a severe dive.

they become more tailored in their output in providing suggestions and meaningful results.

Well, of course! When the predictive program is sourcing all the stolen material, it should come up with some golden stuff, sometimes. 

You may find your programs as a collaborative, but how did all the people whose "advice" you loaded into your program feel? What, you didn't notify, ask, or pay any of them? What a surprise. There is nothing I found on your site, thanking anyone for their free contributions. Did I miss something?

Sorry, but the last thing the unskilled, lazy, cheats need is yet another way to deceive the clients.

Jeanne, you obviously have strong opinions on this subject and while I respect your POV, even though I disagree with it, your tone implies a level of hostility towards me that I do not appreciate.

Further, I believe you do not consider the circumstances that non-native English speakers face when trying to communicate in a predominately English environment. Are they "unskilled, lazy, cheats" when they use AI-based tools to help them improve their English writing skills?

Or what about more technical freelancers who have mastered the complexity of programming but not the subtleties of writing persuasive copy for their profiles and proposals?

I can appreciate your points. As the former co-founder of Copyblogger, I wrote often and also had a number of highly skilled writers employed (in fact our internal motto was "The Writer Run This Show".)

And while many of my former colleagues were, like you, highly skeptical of AI in the beginning; most of them have come to embrace it as an aid in their writing process, not a replacement. And some have seen a huge spike in demand for their writing services; editing and refining the content from the AI systems, creating highly detailed prompt structures, to even creating new content for highly nuanced subjects where LLM systems fail to properly communicate complex ideas.

Since you are a writer, I can respect your opinion on this matter. LLMs do have an issue with citations, but so do most bloggers I follow.

But to label individuals as "lazy", who rely on writing tools like Grammarly, or spell check, or even using ChatGPT to help them craft words to refine their writing, is highly judgemental and inconsiderate of people who may not have the level of writing talent you consider worthy.

Everything I said was based on your comments about the freelancers not having the inclination to do anything for themselves. I am not hostile, I would like some answers, which no one ever supplies.

Further, I believe you do not consider the circumstances that non-native English speakers face when trying to communicate in a predominately English environment. Are they "unskilled, lazy, cheats" when they use AI-based tools to help them improve their English writing skills?

I work with freelancers all the time, and I am more than aware of the issue. Do people, from everywhere, cheat? Yes. Do they use ChatGPT et al. to cheat? Absolutely.

You said,

This was your argument. If the person doesn't have the inclination to do anything for themselves, then they are lazy deadbeats, not freelancers. I never said you must master the skills, I said you must have marketable skills. If you have none, this is not the place to learn.

Or what about more technical freelancers who have mastered the complexity of programming but not the subtleties of writing persuasive copy for their profiles and proposals?

There is a plethora of information on this site alone. A little bit of reading and work will produce a higher quality proposal.

I can appreciate your points. As the former co-founder of Copyblogger, I wrote often and also had a number of highly skilled writers employed (in fact our internal motto was "The Writer Run This Show".)

I'm glad you understand my concerns. I sincerely, wish you would address them.

And while many of my former colleagues were, like you, highly skeptical of AI in the beginning;

The majority of my work has always been outside Upwork, and it still is. You assume much.

Real AI is amazing, and something I work with, write about, and collaborate with colleagues on in science and medicine. In those realms, it is critical to ensure the authors/creators are informed, asked if the work can be used to build on, permission and consent is obtained, and all legal and ethical points are in place.

Grammarly and all of those programs are predictive. That’s why, if you try to write, "I may be late." Grammarly writes, "I maybe late." I have been working in the AI field for over a decade. There is little call for those skills here.

AI is an amazing field that has enormous potential in fantastic ways in many areas of our lives. The ChatGPT bots, Jasper, etc. plagiarize. This conversation has been ongoing in the science fields for fifteen years. The very real, legal issues are never addressed here. Never. Instead, I receive, why I just don't understand AI. Copyrights and ownership are real issues. There are others, like ensuring the content in the messages, contract, and all work is not on any other online platforms (more than 130 at last count) and that the client be informed of its use. 

But to label individuals as "lazy", who rely on writing tools like Grammarly, or spell check, or even using ChatGPT to help them craft words to refine their writing, is highly judgemental and inconsiderate of people who may not have the level of writing talent you consider worthy.

You need to reread my comments. Everything was about your insistence that some of the  freelancers didn't have the inclination to do anything but use the ChatGPTbots. Those people are lazy, and will never earn money here. It's not about being "worthy" it's about people being able to get jobs or lose everything.

I'm still waiting for someone to address the legal issues. And whether the information used in the programs was from informed authors/creators who gave their consent?

williamtcooper
Community Member

Sean,

Both freelancers and clients frequently use ChatGPT, Bard, and Jasper which are very easy to use for these types of tasks.

snikolovski
Community Member

I was looking for something similar I can use anywhere anytime for free and possibly no registration.

Eventually I've gathered a list and put in on a blog post, If interested PM me to send the link.

Among others:

- To do list

- Totally Free project manager

- Time tracker (runs in a browser window so don't close that:)

- Couple of invoice generators

- Colaboration tools:

• Use a real time chat and screen sharing from
  • Draw something and share it with 
  • Coders can share their code with 

- Free alternatives to Google Docs

- Timezones

And a dashboard with free online tools separated in categories: productivity, tools for image creation/editin, video, audio, writing, SEO, coding and everything else I might need daily

eb2fbfa9
Community Member

Yes I want to have these tools for writing wining and stunning proposals to earn more money and reputation., to shine my portfolio, to bring new clients and to erase my agency

Latest Articles
Learning Paths