🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Invite only scams
Page options
colettelewis
Community Member

Invite only scams

Every now and then I get a scam job post, click on it to report it and I can't because it is "invitation only". Is there any way Upwork could make it possible to report this sort of job - other than trying the endless process of contacting CS.

12 REPLIES 12
AndreaG

Hi Nichola,

If you receive an invite you should be able to click on View job posting and flag as inappropriate from the job post page. If you're getting an error when trying to access the job post, it's likely already been addressed by the team.

Could you please confirm if you're referring to a different issue when trying to report an invite?

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi Andrea, that is my point. When I try to go to view job posting, I get (I can't remember the exact words): "You may not access this job as it  is by invitation only." So if the team has addressed it already, this would be an odd message to get, as the job(s) I am referring to are clearly scams.  So how can these be flagged so that an "invited" newcomer does not come onto the forums saying they have been scammed?

ETA: And my question is exactly the same as Mary's so why am I getting a different and dismissive reply?  

Hi Nichola,

Andrea and I have been looking into this issue and that's why in both cases, Andrea asked for more information. I was under the impression that in your original post you were referring to jobs you are invited to and trying to report from the invite. It appears you are referring to accessing jobs from search or feed, is that correct? If that's the case, I apologize for our misunderstanding. It's definitely not our intention to be dismissive of feedback. 

In general, I won't be able to share the specifics around how job postings that may violate the TOS get actioned. However, our product team is working on improving those processes as well as the messaging users see when they try to access  jobs that aren't available anymore for various reasons. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Sorry Valeria, I didn't mean to be so scratchy, but I am so fed up with endlessly reporting scams,  and then finding they are made private, is  infuriating and proves that these people are just being told to adjust their offer and no further action is being taken. 

This job below is a case in point. I have reported at least ten of these in my job feed today. Obviously, this scammer has been told to adjust the budget: 

I need a French translator

Hourly: $10.00-$23.00 - Entry level - Est. Time: Less than 1 month, Less than 30 hrs/week - Posted 21 minutes ago

I need someone who can handle French translation Send a message on whatsapp to our secretary for more details of the project Use whatsapp number below 👇🏽 + [No. deleted by me]

[Skills required etc.]

If  you click on the job now it has been changed to invite only:

https://prnt.sc/Y1gQziFx6DYy

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for following up and sharing additional information. If possible could you please click on my name and send me a PM with the link to the job posts you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nikola,

I would love to do this, but I simply don't have the time. I honestly can't remember how many posts I flagged today, and I haven't gone back to check if they were either removed or if they were changed to "invite only". I noted the one in this thread, because it keeps coming up in my job feed.  But I know I flagged it before it became a private invitation.

I simply gave up in the end - there were too many. None of us, who recognize these people for what they are have the time to follow up, or to keep flagging. It's exhausting and depressing. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I have had the same problem in the past. Here's my problem: I see a job post that needs to be flagged but when I go to flag it,  it has become invite only and I am not invited, so it can't be flagged.  Or something like that...

Hi Mary,

Thank you for sharing this, we'd like to investigate the scenario further. The next time you come across a situation like this, could you please send me a private message with a link to the job post you're unable to flag?

~Andrea
Upwork

Will do, Andrea.  I am crazy busy right now so I don't anticipate looking in the market for a while, but I will report if I find this again.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I've also run across this.

Okay, good.   I wasn't imagining it!  At my age,I'm never sure...

atlinguist
Community Member

Latest Articles
Learning Paths