Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Emojis

omnimiratus
Ace Contributor
Ozan S Member Since: Dec 30, 2017
1 of 14

Why does it look like I'm having an impudent laugh when all I typed in is "Smiley Happy" ?

It's indeed not a huge deal, but I feel like it sometimes may reflect inappropriate to the clients, likewise from clients to freelancers.

Is it possible to improve, even replace them? Maybe Facebook-like emojis would be good? I mean I'd like having "Smiley Happy" untouched, but if it has to be an emoji, I think it should be a good one.

Any efforts on this, Upwork?

p.s. Community emojis are different than the emojis in Upwork Messages. Community ones look much better, and I have no complain about them.

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
2 of 14
I abhor the emojis in messaging. Have you seen the "grinning"one? He looks like he's straining on the toilet.

Now, I know there's the crowd here who think it's ludicrous to use emojis while talking to clients, but everyone has their own "digital language" and emojis can be very helpful in distinguishing between sarcasm and kindness. I use them often to help with the tone of my messages, but that grinning emoji is not doing me any favors.
omnimiratus
Ace Contributor
3 of 14

Well I was already horrified by the smiley that I didn't even try the 'grin' emoji. Thanks for the warning.

I also don't think using emojis is somewhat inappropriate; being in a professional relationship doesn't mean that we shouldn't be putting any feelings into what we're doing. But seems like I'll be keeping it away from them unless Upwork makes some changes.

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 14

Hi Ozan and Melissa,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share it with our team.

~ Goran
Upwork
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 14

I agree that I don't love the basic smile emoji in messages. The first time I saw it from one of my freelancers I was a little taken aback, then I realised it's just Upwork's choice for the emoji. I (and my freelancers) quite often use basic smile emojis in communication and I've got used to it now, but I do think it could be a bit more restrained.

atlinguist
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
6 of 14

Yeah, but you're not a chatbot. 

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
7 of 14

lol @ Why does it look like I'm having an impudent laugh when all I typed in is "Smiley Happy" ?

omnimiratus
Ace Contributor
8 of 14

I was talking about "colon followed by paranthesis", but sure when you do that it automatically converts to the emoji.

The emojis here are fine, I made that statement to the smiley in the Upwork Messages.

e_skoldebring
Ace Contributor
Erik S Member Since: Apr 6, 2018
9 of 14

I had to search to see if anyone else is bothered by this issue Smiley Happy 

Upwork, how about changing the default emjoji for : ) to Smiley Happy instead of Smiley Very Happy

Its super akward everytime i throw in a smiley and it looks like im laughing hysterically at my own statement.

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
10 of 14

Hi Erik,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions. I already submitted your feedback to our team for consideration.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS