cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do on your off time for fun?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 44

re: "The question presupposes nothing..."

I stand corrected.

In all seriousness:

With each passing year, the divisions between "what we do for fun" and "what we do for work/pay" diminish more and more.

A major factor in this is technological advancement. As technology decreases the amount of human labor needed to sustain the same quality of life, to obtain sufficient food, shelter, etc., there is less need for labor. But the amount of time people have remains the same.

With each passing year, the proportion of the population which must work in order to survive decreases. As societies pay welfare benefits or guaranteed "living wages" to their citizens, then the reasons for going to a "job" or doing "work" change, and more people do these things out of choice rather than out of necessity.

Online work platforms such as oDesk are a big part of these changes in how society relates to "work."

zemila
Ace Contributor
Zemila M Member Since: Mar 28, 2014
22 of 44

I agree and disagree with you Preston

Yes - I like my job and I enjoy mostly doing it but I also consider it work, because as soon I have a obligation I have to take it serious so I can't consider it my off time.

my off time is when I can turn my PC off ( It doesn't means I will, just that I can without consequences).

And yes also - not everybody has a need to work this days, but it is still a choice what life standard you like.

Me for example, my husbands works and has a fine salary I can pay my bills maybe go on vacation but I can't save for the future like colleague funds for my kids or buy a house, new car and similar. 

So it was my choice to start working, because I feel I am investing in the future for my kids and a better life.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
23 of 44

Preston,

Although I see where you are coming from, everyone has a different reason for working, Myself like Zemi my offtime is when I turn off the computer and do something else. 

I work at home, but still have a schedule to stick to and work to complete by a deadline.

Not only do I work online but have a small farm which is work as well, but I take time out to have time to do things I enjoy such as my horse "stuff" Smiley Tongue

I work out of neccessity. I am the only one paying the bills, so I have to work. I enjoy working on most days, but I still need to take time out that I am not on the computer, nor near a phone or anything that has to do with technology. That would be the time in my garden working, the time out driving my horse, when I sit down on the weekend with a glass of wine and a good movie, or when I go out to eat and to a movie.

WIth the rolls in this world changing everyone needs time to relax and do something other then work. Even if it is a short time.

natacharodriguez
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
24 of 44

Preston's comments made me laughWoman LOL

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
25 of 44

Off-Time? What is that? Heh.

I have hobbies that I love doing, including Netflix, online gaming, cooking and reading. Lately, time for those has been limited because of work, chores and spring house projects.

Like others who posted in this thread, I have a specific schedule that I stick to, 7 days a week. Work comes first, then chores, then house projects, then hobbies, then other projects that are pending if I am still feeing movitivated.

Somewhere in all that I manage to come into the oDesk forums, be social with RL friends, and social with online friends.

You know what, I think I need an assistant! LOL.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
26 of 44

@Pandora H wrote:

Off-Time? What is that? Heh.

I have hobbies that I love doing, including Netflix, online gaming, cooking and reading. Lately, time for those has been limited because of work, chores and spring house projects.

Like others who posted in this thread, I have a specific schedule that I stick to, 7 days a week. Work comes first, then chores, then house projects, then hobbies, then other projects that are pending if I am still feeing movitivated.

Somewhere in all that I manage to come into the oDesk forums, be social with RL friends, and social with online friends.

You know what, I think I need an assistant! LOL.

Pandora,

It sounds like my life, but you know I take some time off every year and find I am bored to death by about my fourth day even though I have a ton of things to do..

My life consists of 3 clients that keep me going full time, my farm animals, the chores that are involved with them. I run a couple groups to help other freelancers who want to get started, as well as I have very little gaming time, but it relaxes me, then of course there is housework, yardwork, and some time for me. I enjoy reading in my downtime, Amazon Prime, Netflix, a good movie on the weekend and a good glass of wine... My gardening actually relaxes me so I enjoy it. I do gardening and canning every year as well as have flowers and an herbal garden.

Sheeshe reading yours and my busy times it is a wonder if either of us has downtime he he 

stephenhustling
Stephen Andrew G Member Since: Dec 2, 2014
27 of 44

I'm not so sure if I really have something I can call "off time" but I guess it involves mostly meditation. I find it really relaxing and helps relieve my burden a bit, juggling the crazy-fun ride between being a freelancer, taking care of my son, making "lambing" (act in a funnily, cute, weird-looking, loving way, or purr like a cat) on my pregnant wife, and other stuff.

I also play online games from time to time but I find myself enjoying more spending my time in the dark corner, listening to my breathing, or thinking about how I can make the world a better place, or wondering why polos have a hole and when will produce a hole-less polo, or when will oDesk give their freelancers a free Starbucks coffee mug and things like that.

dreddurius
Ace Contributor
Michael P Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
28 of 44

Writing songs, when I can.

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
29 of 44

In the order of preference:

1. Catch up on my sleep.

2. Wash my Vespa.

3. Take my Vespa for a ride.

4. Clean my room.

5. Clean my house, including the floor.

6. Possibly going out for a movie.

7. Making videos of myself singing karaoke.

8. Grocery shopping.

ago_g
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
30 of 44

Off time??

I'm not really sure what I'd call off time since everything is mangled together like a car crash that doesn't seem to stop!!

I feel like playing my games? I play them. But I'm still "working" on something. My account, my character(s), my next game guide. I'm working on something here in upwork, I'm still playing my video games too. Often at the same time!! I fix a PC/laptop/mobile device..... sure enough, I'm playing games on them too. Mostly that's for testing purposes but I'm still playing!!

I'm comatose mode for a while or watching a movie (during repair waiting times)..... that didn't matter. My wife will wake me up or outright tell me.... "hey, boost me" or "hey, check this out" (for a replay or a looted item). Oddly enough, many of those "hey, check this out" interruptions are turning into game guides!! I kid you not. I'm looking at another one she just now ran into (for CoC)!! Literally she never read / watched game guides and she's looting like crazy. This would be at least the 3rd time she has done this!!

I go outside to find little kids to play with. There's a lot of little babies in this area for me to play with. I was TOLD to do so by a doctor. Sure enough, the doc was right. My wifi signal certainly became weaker. Next thing I know, "here's some money.... you babysit now"!! I go to buy some ice cream or some goodies to enjoy.... "hey, fix my PC" is the typical greeting I get. What the what?!!......It's like they were sitting around waiting for me. They do that on purpose instead of texting me or just showing up so they won't risk messing with ice cream time. Even though those same little kids I was playing with are ALSO standing there "hey... treat me"!!

And then the "joys" of a REALLY BIG farm with lots of trees and plants that are producing. So when anything is ready to be harvested, here comes the wave of texts and other interruptions from people that REALLY want that stuff. Talk about instant addictions to this stuff.... I mean... WOW!! We're not even remotely sure as to why our vegtables and fruits turn out like that. Tamarind, mangos, eggplant, chilli peppers, and others (this is just some of it that we grow). Then when we run out of.... just about anything , I find it very difficult to locate a sadder look on someones face. It's like they just received the worst news of their entire life. Yes, the look on their face IS that bad/sad.

^ Told ya.... never ending car crash!! Smiley LOL

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS