🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What do you prefer, Windows or Mac?
Page options
rafikdz
Community Member

What do you prefer, Windows or Mac?

Join the debate: Windows vs. Mac Os! 

What system do you prefer to use in your daily working routine? the Apple Mac Os with it's emerging ecosystem or the accessibility of Microsoft Windows? 

and why?

Let's fuel this hot discussion on which OS reigns supreme the world 💥🤔

87 REPLIES 87
rafikdz
Community Member

I will start with my humble case

I love both and I have both.

I prefer about the Mac it's emerging ecosystem experience with the iPad, Iphone, and Macbook Pro.

But, I still enjoy the accessability, the freedom you get with Windows.

192218fd
Community Member

Linux. Debian flavour.

Why do you hate us? 😅

rafikdz
Community Member

No , we don't hate you but one disadvantage of Linux is that it can have limited compatibility with certain proprietary software and hardware drivers, which might require users to seek alternative solutions or workarounds

Do you only use lunix in your daily working routine?🤔

192218fd
Community Member

Only Linux. I set my rules in my work, therefore I use my tools. And these are all open source. A client wants something done in InDesign? Not my client 😝

A fair amount of sense of humour is essential; a smile will go a long way when explaining, and I have made friends along the way. Those are my principles: open source and a smile.

rafikdz
Community Member

I love that. I used to use Linux when I was younger, I used to use Ubuntu and Maint.

what flavor are you using? And what do you use it for ? Design?

192218fd
Community Member

Debian (with KDE and Mate) is still my favourite (I used to like Ubuntu, but since the Amazon fiasco, meh; also, too heavy now). Mint is also fine.

I use it mainly for text editing. I also make courses with Open eLearning, video and audio edition with OpenShot and Audacity, graphics with Inkscape... When I have to DTP, I use Scribus.

I take it you gave it up due to application incompatibility with your clients? I can see how a PowerPoint presentation may get broken when open with other editors like LO Impress.

Don’t you miss the freedom though? I have also used Windows and Mac (not for more than a decade, mind you, this might have changed) and I hate that they always try to make decisions for the user.

A valid point of view

Why KDE and Mate ? i think they are outdated now. KDE is too heavy on the ram and Mate is just old Gnome. I started my linux journey with Redhat 9 and then never looked back on windows for my development work (still do gaming and Desktop application Development on Windows though). Linux gives me all the tool i need for coding/programming and they are all free. I use Arch BTW 😄 Nothing more satisfying then installing the OS manually from scratch...

rafikdz
Community Member

Great 👍 

I support the Linux family. Even though other OS are not bad

I have never used Linux in my life

me too

You can start now

I loved this idea 😁

Few years ago I tried it and the upwork tracker didn't work properly, so I returned to windows.

Yes, I see what you mean. I sometimes have to use Windows in a VM for this kind of things. But not for the work itself.

This situation happened to me 

rafikdz
Community Member

I think there is a way viacheslav

Yes!

PradeepH

Hi Rafik,

I grew up with Windows as my best friend and I adore how it lets me do everything I want and fix anything I mess up. I switched to Mac a few days ago and I feel like a baby learning to walk. Everything is so different and confusing. I have both machines now and I am always confused with the control/command keys every time I switch between them 🙄

- Pradeep

Upwork
rafikdz
Community Member

Transitioning between Windows and Mac can indeed be a bit challenging at first. It's like learning a new language, but with time and practice, you'll become fluent in both. Keep at it, and soon you'll find the balance between the two systems, making the most of each one's strengths.

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

I have to have Windows.  Years ago,  I worked at a firm with an Apple network and Macs.  It was awful for long complicated documents and once lost several days of work.  Soured me for all time.

How is that possible ? From my experience in our agency we own several macs and man these things are durible and stable, you dont see your mac crashing opposite to Windows.

spxpert
Community Member

I recently got into MACs,  I like the performance.  Windows brign familiarity that helps in working fast and MACs bring performance and reliability.  At this stage. It's hard for me to choose between one of these,  especially with Windows 11,  it feels premium in terms of UI

rafikdz
Community Member

You are totally right, it is hard to pick one over the other. 

right now. I am using a Mac with parallel to allow me to use Windows.

so I am not missing any of the two.

17a409ae
Community Member

Windows 11 has a new interface and useful changes. I have been using it since it came out. It is wonderful

rafikdz
Community Member

Much better than win 10

williamtcooper
Community Member

Rafik,

Windows because of all the client nightmares that could occur otherwise.

Hi william

You're absolutely right! Imagine a world where mastering both banishes nightmares forever, and wave goodbye to those fearsome dreams

nice choose

virtualbrix
Community Member

Both! and Linux!

Here is a Power user around, I use the 3 myself.

but, I didn't Linux for a while now.

I used to use Ubuntu and Maint

What is your choice?

55bd7776
Community Member

Mac with Bootcamp 😂

rafikdz
Community Member

Absolutely, Bootcamp adds a whole new dimension to Mac usage, especially if you need Windows applications. It's the best of both worlds

In my humble perspective, a mere bootcamp doesn't cut it. So, do you find it alluring? After all, even when you're determined to master something, passion or desire should be your driving force

Well for a Mac partition it is not bad, surely you are right it is not the same. However after using both devices for several years, I find myself better off with the MacBook, I find that for content creation (in my case audio) it is really efficient.

rafikdz
Community Member

Ok thank u 😁

Welcome

good choose

Latest Articles
Learning Paths