🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » What was your first job on Upwork ?
Page options
cecb6308
Community Member

What was your first job on Upwork ?

I got started on Upwork nearly a month ago and I noticed that this platform is La crème de la crème 🤗

I'm still waiting for my first opportunity and meeting new clients and people within the commmunity. 😘

42 REPLIES 42
sammad-yasser
Community Member

FIxing an Excel Macro for few bucks, The client come afterward for a new work.

That's good 😃 I hope you get more 🤗

ba43d907
Community Member

I  became part of this unique family not up to a month .  I am still strugling to land on my dream job. i am   however quiet optimistic of succeeding one soonest.

I'm sure you can my friend 😎 I like optimistic people 😊

luqman_mak
Community Member

I tested five mobile games for $5 - it wasnt as fun as it sounds

novosrd
Community Member

I published some blogs to a wordpress site......

now? Im working for top clients from around the world!

cecb6308
Community Member

Good job Hugo 🤗

eaff35ed
Community Member

For my first job on UpWork I had to pair a logomark with suitable fonts so the final client can choose what she likes best. It was a $10 gig but I was just starting out freelancing as a graphic designer so it was amazing

Yeah! Certainely it should be amazing.

tihanalalic89
Community Member

I've been at it for a while, at one point freelancing regularly full-time, but I mostly treat it as a side gig since in parallel I am expanding my own business. 
My first job was a nightmare but hey I knew I had to get started somewhere 😄 
Product Description - 200 words per product without any details, images, or ANYTHING. 
The products were 15 different (don't ask me how they are different I still don't know) brass doorknobs. I think I got 10 dollars for that. 😄 😄 😄 
First of all, it's a brass doorknob. 200 words of guesswork 😄 

🤣🤣🤣 Well, it's a good start I think 😃

ankofelipe
Community Member

It's a case of you need experience and trust to get hired, yet you need to get hired to gain experience and trust! 🤔

Experience and trust depends on you.

To get hired depends on you too.

My advice for you is to trust yourself first 😉

b19c686b
Community Member

My first was helping a lady set up an Asana project for her startup and adding cards required.

Nice 😍

9cad714b
Community Member

I am still trying to get my first job

You have to believe that you can do it. Just be patient. 🤗

cecb6308
Community Member

🤗🤗

00fd7a51
Community Member

The first one was about creating a video for a youtube channel. It went terrible. The client loved the first video but I missed the deadline, since it was my first go, he let it slide as I explained it was a technical issue. Then I missed the deadline again (by a few hours btw but the deadline of him was very strict and probably the most important thing) Back then I had a trash pc, so it used to take a lot of time to edit (now I got a high-end pc) Also I valued quality over deadline and that made me spend too much time. The job was also underpaying and perhaps too much work, so I couldn't keep up with it and left it after the second one. I told him that I'll edit his next video for free (so he gets more time to choose a new freelancer to take my spot and maybe decide not to give a bad review?) He declined and ended the contract, gave me a 3.3 rating which is a horrible rating for the first job.  It was a nightmare, and I was responsible for this. 

However, it was my first job. I learned from my mistakes and it never happened again I eventually overcame it and became a Top Rated freelancer!  I don't work much on Upwork since I'm busy studying. My exams are ending this month, so hopefully, I'll be able to start working soon again. Good luck with getting your first job btw. I got my first job faster than others due to my reel. You should also try creating examples and maybe a short video on it to attract clients. Have a wonderful day! 

Hello Syeda!

Thank you for sharing your experience and your advices with me and I hope you success in your exams and be here to grow up with more experiences. 

Have a nice day.

Thank you, same goes for you as well. You got this! 

hollyagarza
Community Member

Ive been on here for years! I love it. My first position was sales on amazon

for a sports company

Good start! And what is your specialization for now ?

df602768
Community Member

I believe it was to write a gaming article/blog. Although, I could be mistaken. Too lazy to see my Upwork history right now. 😆

radiojay
Community Member

One of my first gigs was writing an article.

Now its all Voice Overs and video editing.

zdinjak
Community Member

It was 3 months after I've started. I spent all my conets, lost hope and wanted to quit. Then I've got this message:

"We’ve all been so excited about the interest on Upwork in editing our trailer! Our one concern with non-native English speakers is that the film has very little action, and is full of dialogue, much of it somewhat complex. But we do want to give as many people as possible a chance at working on this project. So this is what we're proposing to the editors that we're interested in: we’ll pay you $50 just for you to watch the film (which is about 85 minutes long) and then you send us a rough idea of your concept for the trailer. What you send us can be as rough or as polished as you wish, and you can work with the low-resolution footage that we will send you to watch. We are planning on choosing two or three people to work with further at that point, and we will pay $500 to the people whose ideas we choose to develop."

Unfortunately, my trailer proposal didn't go trough, but I got $50 I've invested in new conects and new begining.

Next one was to download a music, and make a 20 min. video form it and 4 still images that replace each other

periodically. That was $5 job.

Now it goes great.

radiojay
Community Member

Rock and roll! Thank you for sharing.

Gotta beat that algo to be seen by more people/clients!

garymonro
Community Member

My first Upwork assignment was to write a blog post about sex dolls. My second assignment was to write product descriptions for sex toys. Nobody was more surprised than me to find my writing niche was the adult toy industry! But that was 6 years ago and I now write about everything in the world now - except, funnily enough, adult toys. 

rizalalgren
Community Member

Create 2D sticker art, not much but it was a fun project 🙂

Nice 

5801e82d
Community Member

I join a few months back and I haven't landed my first work here 

cecb6308
Community Member

Don't worry! You will have your first job. JUST BE PATIENT 🤗

virtualbrix
Community Member

My first job was to write an email template on elance 12 years ago!

williams-olivia
Community Member

It was one of those "we hire anyone" gigs. Pretty much had to go rate their app they were creating. Pretty lame but it got me used to the platform. haha. good luck and welcome to upwork!!

Thank you Olivia 😊

avancerasolution
Community Member

keep the spirits high. It will take efforts and time to get the first few jobs and you might need to compromise on the pricing too but once the profile is developed you will surely enjoy the benefits/perks

Thank you for the advices Sumair 🤗

My Pleasure.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths