Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Working as a freelancer and as a client

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
1 of 8

I'm sure many of you had the opportunity to work both as a freelancer and as a client (hired by another client at least). It all changes when you have a taste of both worlds, doesn't it?

As a freelancer I've learned that good communication is valued as much as delivering quality work. This was not something new, but it became more obvious.

As a client I've learned that upWork has a lot of posers who have no idea of what they are doing, but decided on a bowel movement moment to try the freelancing life. No skills, no common sense but eager to say "i is comfidential than i can tu da bi da best and you hire me now for $1000". I'm not kidding, there are a lot of them here. Also, this made me realize that I am one of the good freelancers Smiley Happy

Now, the question: for those of you in this position, how well do you separate the sides? When I'm hiring, I always think "what if this would be me 4 years ago and someone decided to give me a chance?". It quickly passes when I take a look at the samples provided, but still, sometimes I do the mistake of hiring the wrong persons.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
2 of 8

Uhm, I always used perfect English even when talking to some girl in Canada in 2000 during the 9th grade summer vacation. Well, even more so since girls are so precious.

So, no. Good professionals never say "i can tu da bi da best". Language is the first element required to do anything. And everything's in English.

From another perspective, going freelance means you already worked. You can't offer services without having the experience and confidence you are doing the job correctly. And this is an internation platform that explicitly requires English.

So, again, no.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
3 of 8

Gabriel, I'm not sure what experience you had with freelancers, but trust me when I say this: anyone can have a huge ego and be confident he/she can do great even if skills are missing. It's part of the human nature, and in some cases, part of the culture.

"You can't offer services without having the experience and confidence you are doing the job correctly." - so, yes you can. I believe there are thousands of bogus profiles on upWork, created just out of boredom and lack of knowledge. Once I've met a guy who could barely hold a mouse in his hand. He won a free licence of Adobe CS3 in some contest and the second day after he installed it, he started advertising design work. Same goes for English

"And this is an internation platform that explicitly requires English." - and yet there are so many freelancers who barely know English and still bid on jobs.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
4 of 8

Upwork, as well as real life, is filled with people trying to make some money with little work as possible.

But when hiring, one would look for professionals. That leaves behind people who can barely hold a mouse but win mouse-related contests. One would have to be from very good to excellent at a lot of related skills than the primary one.

Also, knowing English isn't that big of a deal (there's tons of media and video games to play in it). I wouldn't hire somebody who was excellent at PHP but could barely speak English. Even if he was a master at Romanian.

In any case, Upwork is filled with people barely managing to talk, so let's not mention other skills. So? There's still 1 person out of 100 who is capable of both talking and doing the work. Sure, it won't be $10/hour, but if you get the job done with his/her help, why bother thinking of financial comparisons?

Highlighted
Hasnain A Member Since: Apr 23, 2020
5 of 8

Hi,

I am a freelance graphic designer on Upwork. I also have a client account that I created at the start. Due to work overload (Outside Upwork) I need some help with logo design so my question is Can I hire someone by using my client account via Upwork? I am a little worried that It might affect my freelancer profile. Am I allowed to hire someone while I also offer my freelance services on Upwork? 

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
6 of 8

Hi Hasnain,

You're more than welcome to switch between the two parts of your account and hire freelancers.  Please check this help article and this blog for more information on how to post a job. You can check some helpful resources to give you an idea about how to get started as a client. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
7 of 8

I don't separate the sides; I'm always me. But I do try to think of all the people I meet offline and who have a great job (one that I would like to have, maybe) and who are obviously...well, not up to it. Then I go back to Upwork and think, "Nice place" and "People are the same everywhere." [humming along to Paul McCartney song]

Highlighted
Kaitlan D Member Since: Jul 29, 2019
8 of 8

Also, this made me realize that I am one of the good freelancers Smiley Happy

-- Totally! Coming from the freelancer side first, I have realized that being a client helps you be a better freelancer. You can quickly spot bad proposals and learn what NOT to do, as well as what works when you're on the other side. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS