cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 connects for every project

Yordan k Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 26

I can't understand why on UpWork every project cost 2 connects. On Elance most of the projects cost 1 connect.

On Elance for $10 I get 10 connects more and I can bid on 10 projects (I can filter the projects that cost 2 or more connects).

On UpWork I pay $10 and I get also 10 connects more, but here I can bid only for 5 projects because every project cost 2 connects.

On elance: 1 connect = $1

On UpWork: 1 connect = $2

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
2 of 26

Yordan,

I'll be blunt. I'm also coming from Elance. I wish Upwork would halve the number of free connects. This would dramatically reduce the number of lowballers and at the same time get rid of job postings for 3 or 5 Dollar.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 26

@Joachim M wrote:

Yordan,

I'll be blunt. I'm also coming from Elance. I wish Upwork would halve the number of free connects. This would dramatically reduce the number of lowballers and at the same time get rid of job postings for 3 or 5 Dollar.

I'm not Yordan, but I'll be blunt as well. This is one of the WORST suggestions EVER made in these forums. Job postings cost clients nothing. Indeed there are so-called clients who post 20-30 jobs and never hire anyone. You are merely proposing cutting in half every freelancers chance to bid for a job. Currently, at 2 connects an application, a freelancer can apply to 1 job a day, and you want that to be 1 application every 2 days. I think not even Upwork is willing to go that far, but tell you what, feel free to only apply to a job every other day, and feel free to encourage all your elance mates to do likewise, and the rest of us will thank you for improving our chances of being hired.

4 of 26

maybe i am dumb but i really dont understand what you are talking about : what are these free connect ? 

I was thinking that the system of connects can vary : 1 connect for one quick job and maybe 3 or 4 for bigger work....but the number of connects is always the same so you can not have a real strategy on your quote !

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
5 of 26

TROLLOL Cat Very Happy

This is a strong contender for the most insensitive post yet seen on the forum. I can't imagine you'll have too many people agreeing with you 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 26

At least it's better than 4 for featured projects. Smiley Very Happy  

I just upgraded my account for extra and rollover connects. I figure if you're coming from Elance, you'll need them.

I'm trying to decide if I like the fact that no one is stuck to any specific categories. I was in IT and writing on Elance, so it feels all weird being able to prostitute myself across all the things.

I kinda feel like I'm on an Internet street corner saying "Hey baby, need a writer? I got what you need."

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 26
For those of you just joining us....

And to clarify some things that appear to be points of confusion for newcomers, especially from Elance.

All jobs on Upwork currently cost 2 connects to apply to. That may change in the future.

Clients do not pay anything to post jobs. They can post as many jobs as they want to for free. There is no connect-like quota. That is a GOOD thing, as long as they are posting real, worthwhile jobs. Which some of them don't actually do, but Upwork tries to clamp down on repeat non-hirers or otherwise bad clients.

No, there are no restrictions on Upwork with regards to how many job categories you can bid in. We like it that way over here. But that doesn't mean you should go nuts and bid on everything. Bid on jobs you are most likely to do a great job on. The narrower my focus, the more money I make.

Upwork does not ACTUALLY want you to become a premium member. That is a red herring thrown out there for people who complain that they don't have enough connects. Upwork makes more money from contractors who DO NOT have a premium membership but instead use few connects and work on longer term projects.
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
8 of 26

Not quite. On ELance for $10 you get 20 connects more.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 26

Following up on Preston's informative post, here are 2 reasons to think twice about paying $10 for a plus membership (and therefore paying $10 for 5 extra applications). Upwork has an 'auto-hide' algorithm that can keep applications from being seen by clients, and the freelancer is not notified when or why their application was auto-hidden. Also, connects will not be refunded when a freelancer withdraws an application. The only time a connect will be refunded is when the job is cancelled by a client or Upwork. So if a client posts a job but never hires anyone, all the applicants have wasted their connects. In conclusion, there are at least 2 ways in which a freelancer will get 0 value for the connects they purchase, and until Upwork adjusts its policies in those areas, I for one will not pay for a membership.

10 of 26

"Following up on Preston's informative post, here are 2 reasons to think twice about paying $10 for a plus membership (and therefore paying $10 for 5 extra applications). Upwork has an 'auto-hide' algorithm that can keep applications from being seen by clients, and the freelancer is not notified when or why their application was auto-hidden. Also, connects will not be refunded when a freelancer withdraws an application. The only time a connect will be refunded is when the job is cancelled by a client or Upwork. So if a client posts a job but never hires anyone, all the applicants have wasted their connects. In conclusion, there are at least 2 ways in which a freelancer will get 0 value for the connects they purchase, and until Upwork adjusts its policies in those areas, I for one will not pay for a membership."

Bit of a strange way of looking at it in my opinion. The negatives you point out apply just as much to the initial 60 connects as they do the additional 10... but you're able to submit 5 more proposals. Give or take. Sure... that doesn't gaurantee you'll get additional work, but all things being equal, if your approach to having 60 connects is working, then your approach to having 70 connects should net you nearly 17% more work. On average.

Obviously if somebody's earnings mean that an additional 17% work wouldn't cover the extra $10 (with a bit of padding to be on the safe side) then it would be unadvisable. Or if there aren't enough suitable projects to warrant submitting an extra bunch of proposals... it's unlikely anyone would get a 17% increase if they're submitting proposals on anything and everything. 

But yeah... spend money to make money, and all that jazz. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS