🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A Question on Cancelling Contracts and JSS
Page options
clickthruvids
Community Member

A Question on Cancelling Contracts and JSS

I just want to make sure I understand JSS in cases such as below, so I can best maintain my JSS score.

1) A Client sends me an offer. I accept. They fund the first milestone.

During discussions, it's revealed we have a difference in visions that can't be bridged. No harm, no foul, I cancel the contract and refund the milestone. I receive $0.

Are there any circumstances where my JSS score can get hit?

2) Same as above. Except that I accept the first milestone, and get paid. Same difference in visions. I cancel the contract and refund the money from my existing balance. I receive $0 net after refunding.

Are there any circumstances where my JSS score can get hit?

Thanks! Just don't want to not know something in situations like this, and lose my badge.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Kevin,

I would be happy to help. Refunds don’t directly impact JSS, however a refund may mean the client is unsatisfied and this may be reflected in their feedback which can impact JSS. Also, contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback will be excluded from JSS. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
charliedrozdyk
Community Member

Hi Kevin. Something similar just happened to me. I accepted an offer at around 9:45 AM this morning right before our scheduled kick off call at 10 AM. While on the call we realized we didn't want to work together over payment issues. The client cancelled the contract. I never received money. And yet, the client was able to give me a rating, which I assume is going to be negative. So, my understanding is that if you accepted the offer the client will have been forced to give you a rating. It's a crappy feature and I wish Upwork would change it.

clickthruvids
Community Member

Thanks for your response!

Hopefully one of the reps here can answer clearly.

charliedrozdyk
Community Member

Hi Kevin. They won't answer. Sadly, they don't care. I called customer support several times about this. When the contract even if no work has been done and no money has been exchanged, the client will be forced to give you a rating which WILL affect your JSS. It will affect your Job Success Score even though it wasn't actually a job. I can't see how that's fair. Also, there is no way to get that score redacted. It can be hidden, but not redacted, thus it will ALWAYS affect your JSS.

NikolaS

Hi Kevin,

I would be happy to help. Refunds don’t directly impact JSS, however a refund may mean the client is unsatisfied and this may be reflected in their feedback which can impact JSS. Also, contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback will be excluded from JSS. You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

So with $0 earned:

-positive reviews aren't counted,

-negative reviews are?

That is rough as a freelancer. Often clients aren't clear on what they want/decide to change course. We have little control over that, and forcing them to review isn't helpful to anyone. 

Its not like their feedback is useful (we never actually worked together), and they'll say the "job wasn't completed" out of just stating the fact, not necessarily with any ill will towards the freelancer. 

Very well said, Kevin. It's infuriating. Hey Upwork, how about a grace cancellation? Again, reminds me of when I drove for Uber many years ago when Travis was CEO.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members