Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A modest request

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 6

It seems many freelancers feel they were suspended without receiving a clear reason for their suspension. So I'd like to suggest the following: whenever a freelancer expresses bewilderment at being suspended, CS or a community moderator should tell the freelancer the exact infractions that resulted in the suspension, even if such notice was provided earlier. And in the case of a permanent suspension, I see little harm in doing so publicly in the forum, and it may even deter other freelancers from committing the same infraction.

Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 6

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your request here. I'll share this with our team so we can improve our service. I would like to clarify that users will get a suspension if they violated our terms of service. Unfortunately, we can't discuss the details of this process publicly. Thank you for understanding.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 6

@Ryan C wrote:

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your request here. I'll share this with our team so we can improve our service. I would like to clarify that users will get a suspension if they violated our terms of service. Unfortunately, we can't discuss the details of this process publicly. Thank you for understanding.

John's suggestion is a good one that I doubt will be initiated. What I'll never understand is why Upwork  allows suspended freelancers to post to the forums. What's the point? That's a hypothetical question I know won't get answered.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 6

I second John's request. 

A recent post from a suspended freelancer showed that they had probably not responded correctly to arbitration. It should be made crystal clear at the outset of a dispute what is likely to  happen if a freelancer is unresponsive. IMO it is not enough to merely say check out article 3.2 in the ToS before or after the suspension. 

This is particularly important in the case of freelancers whose native language is not English. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
5 of 6

+ another vote for John's suggestion.

This would serve as an educational asset for all forum visitors. Additionally, it would help in clarifying a near unintelligibly written ToS > especially for non-native English speakers.

An added bonus is that mods wouldn't age faster than necessary by having to post the same things time and again > people might actually learn something.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
6 of 6

@Ryan C wrote:

Hi John,

Ryan, I have a question that's solely based on curiosity that I've previously wondered about numerous times.  I'm only posing it to you because your post made me think of it yet again.  Oftentimes there's reference to the "team."  Since team work can refer to a lot of people doing what someone else says (generally a leader), who is the "someone else" the majority of the time?   

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS