🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A prospective client sent an unknown offer. T...
Page options
wabuton
Community Member

A prospective client sent an unknown offer. Then asking for email.

I got an offer (I don't see any particular details regarding the job).

I chatted with the prospective client before accepting the offer regarding the project details.

I found out he's offering a project not listed on my skill set. Then asked for my email shortly after I asked regarding the project. I declined giving the info since I have not accepted the offer without knowing the project deitals first. He proceeded to asking me to email him so he can give me the "product details there" for "the product/project details security."

Is this a possible / known scam? 
What could be the possible consequences of receiving an email from a prospective client (besides TOS violations) or a new client you just accepted the offer for? I'd like to know if this has been going on around the community and is a knoown scam. Thank you for replies. 

3 REPLIES 3
elisa_b
Community Member

Maybe the "client" is going to send you an attachment containing malware, or to ask your personal information for identity theft purposes.

Anyway, that is a scammer. 

5d1961f2
Community Member

There is a big chance of a scam here. Clients generally don't ask for an email as 'Upwork' has enough features to share documents, requirements, and setup meetings. 

I suggest no to go ahead with it.

PradeepH

Hi Wiljay,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience. I checked the job offer you are referring to and forwarded it to the relevant team to investigate this further. We recommend that you only provide your email address after you have a clear understanding of the project details and have accepted an offer. 

Please check out this course for more tips on staying safe on Upwork and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members