🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A quick 2 qiestions
Page options
edesignmk
Community Member

A quick 2 qiestions

Hello, I have an hourly contract awarded by a client. We want to change it to a fixed project. 
- Do the client should close the hourly project and rehire me with a new fixed-price project?
- There are no logged hours and payments made, does this can affect my JSS if the client ends the contract without any payments?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Goran:

PREVIOUSLY: Upwork clearly stated that zero-pay contracts would have a negative impact on a freelancer's JSS.

NOW: Upwork states that a zero-pay contract will NOT have a negative impact on JSS (unless the client leaves negative feedback).

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
youssefbahaa
Community Member

Hi Goran, Good that you asked before taking action.

- Do the client should close the hourly project and rehire me with a new fixed-price project?

Yes, the current contract should be closed and you can reopen another one with Fixed price terms.

- There are no logged hours and payments made, does this can affect my JSS if the client ends the contract without any payments?

̶U̶n̶f̶o̶r̶t̶u̶n̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶y̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

I hope this helps!

Youssef

---------

I updated my reply just to avoid misleading any reader. 

Thanks for correcting me in a nice way!

Thank you for your reply.

Youssef B wrote:

Hi Goran, Good that you asked before taking action.

Yes, the current contract should be closed and you can reopen another one with Fixed price terms.

̶U̶n̶f̶o̶r̶t̶u̶n̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶y̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶g̶r̶e̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶1̶0̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶p̶l̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶

I hope this helps!

Youssef

---------

I updated my reply just to avoid misleading any reader. 

Thanks for correcting me in a nice way!

For the second question, in addition to crossing out the answer, you could add something like what Petra answered you:
"The contract will have no effect unless the customer leaves a negative private comment" (and in this case it seems that this would not happen).
Just an idea.

petra_r
Community Member

Goran A wrote:

1- Do the client should close the hourly project and rehire me with a new fixed-price project?
2- There are no logged hours and payments made, does this can affect my JSS if the client ends the contract without any payments?

1 - Yes

2- No. No effect whatsoever at all, unless the client leaves poor private feedback

Youssef B wrote:

Unfortunately yes, But you can agree with your client that you work on this contract for the first task or even for only 10 mins for example, then close it.

Absolutely untrue and hasn't been the case for a long time. OP, don't follow this very bad advice! The contract will have no effect whatsoever at all unless the client leaves bad private feedback.

Oh thanks, Petra! So if the client just ends the contract without leaving the feedback, and there is no payment made, it will not affect JSS, I just need to be sure about this so I don't want to lose my JSS score.

Goran A wrote:

Oh thanks, Petra! So if the client just ends the contract without leaving the feedback, and there is no payment made, it will not affect JSS, 

The client can't **NOT** leave private feedback if they close the contract. But you can just close the contract yourself.

Goran A wrote:

Oh thanks, Petra! So if the client just ends the contract without leaving the feedback, and there is no payment made, it will not affect JSS, I just need to be sure about this so I don't want to lose my JSS score.

It categorically won't affect your JSS (unless the client leaves poor private feedback and there is no reason why the client would do that).

Youssef B wrote:

This is your reply to a similar question. What happened?!

2 and a half years went by and the rules changed since. Maybe try to respond to things you know the answer to, rather than trying to find someone else's answers to answer questions you don't know the answer to...

The funny thing is that you were my teacher, Petra! I trusted You with that "Bad Advice"!😅

Ur Reply.JPG

This post is from 2019, does this is changed?

Goran A wrote:

This post is from 2019, does this is changed?

It has indeed changed. Make sure you are always aware of current rules and regulations. 

Youssef B wrote:

The funny thing is that you were my teacher, Petra! I trusted You with that "Bad Advice"!😅

What happened is upwork changed the rules. I recommend you either update yourself on current rules, or don't dig up outdated information. Even the best teacher can't teach someone who doesn't do his homework!

Goran:

PREVIOUSLY: Upwork clearly stated that zero-pay contracts would have a negative impact on a freelancer's JSS.

NOW: Upwork states that a zero-pay contract will NOT have a negative impact on JSS (unless the client leaves negative feedback).

m_terrazas
Community Member

Goran A wrote:

Hello, I have an hourly contract awarded by a client. We want to change it to a fixed project. 

Goran, I think you should remove the "SOLVED" you gave to Youssef B.
Some other freelancer may read this thread and, without reading further, think that it is the correct solution.

Meanwhile, Youssef has, to his credit, corrected the misinformation in the marked-solved original response.

You were right, thanks I have updated it.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members