cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accepting a first translating project - Contract to sign???? First steps to start with????

traductionjf
Ace Contributor
Jacqueline F Member Since: Aug 13, 2016
1 of 9

Hello

I might start a new project (final proofreading english-french) in 2 days. My first one on Upwork. The client is a translation company. (I bid, client responsed in Upwork, I passed a test, client replied : l will bring you on board even  if my score was 3.7  He would have liked a score of 4.) That I understand. And that project is part of my "Active Candidacies" in Upwork.

I replied to the client - asking him to see the documents (or a page) so I could judge the quality of the french translation that has been done so I could decide if I want to get "on board". . It is proofreading not translating.  And my fee is not expensive at all.

The client answer back : "the documents will be available on monday (it is saturday today)  and the project will start on monday. I wrote back again that I want to look at the documents on monday before deciding if I accept to "be on board".

Questions :

1. When is it, that I am officialy hired according to Upwork? When I accepted a project on email? But emails on Upwork are official contract, are they??

2. Is there a contract (project title - deadline - price) that the client have to send me so Upwork will know that we are in business?

3. Should I advise Upwork that a client has hired me for a project in order to protect myself from fraud?

4. Will I have to wait at the end to get paid?

5. How many days a client has to pay a translator?

A lot of questions I know. :-) Waiting for your answers. Am a little bit stressed. :-)

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

I'm not entirely sure I understand, but you are officially hired when the job shows up in the My Jobs page. I wouldn't bug them on a Saturday. I don't like people bugging me on a weekend, so I don't do it to clients. 

You have to accept their offer, so if you get the translation on Monday and it's no good, you can still decline.

In the meantime, you should read Upworks documentation on payment. It answers the other questions.

traductionjf
Ace Contributor
3 of 9

Thank you. I finally took the time of querying the forums. More I read, more I understand. I know a lot more now. Upwork forums are great!

I found out that the client has to send me an official offer that will appear on My Jobs page if I accepted. I wont start any project without an oficial offer.  He did not send me one yet maybe monday. We exchange emails that is all.

Thanks Community Guru, Jennifer. You were fast and professional. Have a good day. (It is raining over here in Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA. Man Sad

P.S.: I will read Upworks documentation on payment.

P.S.: I wrote to my client yesterday. not today.  :Man Wink

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 9

"I wont start any project without an official offer"

Also make sure you don't start any project without assuring that the client's payment method has been verified. If it's a flat rate job, make sure the first milestone is funded.

If it's an hourly job, make sure you download and read up on the time tracking software you need to use for payment protection and what to expect from this software.

Then you can start working.

traductionjf
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

Thanks a million. ;-)

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 9

Jacqueline, you should stop seeking clients and start reading the help section. Only once you have a full understanding of how this platform works will you be ready to take jobs here. Otherwise, you'll get scammed before you know it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
traductionjf
Ace Contributor
7 of 9

Thank you very much for your advice.

lenaellis
Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
8 of 9

Jacqueline,

Your client will send an offer through Upwork. You will see a notification that you have a pending offer which is accessible through My Jobs and in the message room with the client. The offer will display the contract title, rate and start date. At this point you can choose to accept or decline the offer. The contract won't begin until you hit accept. Until you accept the offer, you do not have a contract with the client. 

Depending on how the contract is set up details how you would get paid. If the contract has milestones you will be paid after each one is completed. If your contract is hourly, you will be paid weekly. Make sure your payments are sent through the Upwork platform. 

Check out the informative modules here for more info: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Content-Corner/Online-Course-for-new-Freelancers/m-p/148997#U148997

Let us know if you have any other questions.

-Lena

Untitled
traductionjf
Ace Contributor
9 of 9

Thank you very much for your advice. Perfect answer for me. :-)  Will go and read the modules as soon as possible.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS