Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Account Suspension - Duplicate Account with Client's Account

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
11 of 18

Juaymah, I'm glad you can still find humor with all the stress you may be experiencing Smiley Happy

Same here, I used to recommend oDesk to my clients (those clients I met elsewhere) and assisting people who want to freelance by directing them to the site. I stopped doing that a few months ago Smiley Sad

I see no direct link as to why a freelancer should get suspended for a problem on the client's side. More so about why would you be suspected of having a duplicate account. There has been several cases of this posted on the forums and for the life of me, I can't think of a real reason why that would happen. It does look like a mad robot on the loose with a grudge against established freelancers. For some reason, the affected group seems to be those with your skills. Could this be human jealousy? One theory at an FB oDesk group is that someone is deliberately taking down freelancers with your skills set (probably because of competition).

Let's hope whoever looks into your case is someone competent from oDesk (they do exist, but they are outnumbered).

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Juaymah A Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
12 of 18

And I find comfort knowing that there's a possibility someone would be jealous of my skills set. Haha. Thanks for the boost of confidence Dianne! Smiley Very Happy

Kidding aside, yeah, it's just baffling that this actually happen. I'm just keeping my cool and trying really hard this doesn't get me and affect my other contracts, which I continuously work with not knowing when I'll be able to withdraw my earnings.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 18

Hi Juaymah,

It looks like your account has been suspended for a Policy violation and a Risk Management Team representative has notified you and explained what exactly was the reason for suspension. They will update you through that ticket as soon as they can.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
14 of 18

Hi Valeria,

Thank you. Yes, I have received a response from the CS via the ticket and have sent my explanation as well. I am completely suprised for the reason of the policy violation!

Anyways, my client too has sent them an explanation already, and we're waiting for their response. (oDesk actually said they'll communicate with my client but they did not, it was I who requested my client to contact them first). I am happy with the progress. I just wish the support or investigation team would be more responsive next time. As it seems like just to be able to get a response from the CS, people need to vent here at the forum, which is actually not the proper venue.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
15 of 18

One theory at an FB oDesk group is that someone is deliberately taking down freelancers with your skills set (probably because of competition).

I like this theory, because it's fun. But it wouldn't account for why Upwork is griefing me at the moment. I'm a client. You'd think they'd make it as pleasant and easy as possible to give them my money. 

Highlighted
16 of 18

Hi Dianne,

Thank you.

Yes, indeed it is really disturbing and annoying. I have been sending them messages and got none. I am desperate so I have post my concern in this forum, though I know this should not be the venue for it. Smiley Sad

And what ironic is, I'm actually involved in a business running webinars, teaching aspiring freelancers from the country on how to start a career online, and oDesk is our choice for freelancing platform. So we have been promoting oDesk to others, and now I get this. I am starting to lose faith. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
N T Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
17 of 18

It is high time for oDesk to take a long and hard look at their current system and troubleshoot what the real problem is - otherwise cases like this will simply keep coming.

You are a prophet.

I came looking for a logical reason for why my account would appear linked to all 13 of my freelancers' accounts. When I got my notice about my suspension last week, I didn't even understand what the rep meant by "linked." He said my account appeared to be linked to 13 other accounts, so I was thinking, "Yes... So, what?" I have contracts with them, don't I? "Linked" seems like a perfectly good description for that kind of association. But apparently it means ugly, bad, T&C-violating things. (By the way, the term "linked" does not actually appear in the T&C to describe the situation when one person owns multiple accounts. Upwork could seriously stand to make that explicit in the T&C, if that's the word they are going to use when making the allegation in correspondence.)

I'm still mystified what actually caused my account to appear linked to 13 other accounts. I think it's a glitchy program and poor human oversight, but what do I know.

Highlighted
Pier Luigi L Member Since: Dec 23, 2014
18 of 18

Juaymah,

I received the same e-mail three hours ago and it's very disturbing.

As you, I cannot withdraw my money and I don't understand why I was suspected to be linked, where it's very clear that the other account is a client's account on the other side of the world.

I'm very disappointed.

--

PL

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS