🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Account suspended after reporting a withdrawa...
Page options
a6d91258
Community Member

Account suspended after reporting a withdrawal that I didnt' do.

Dear all: 

I hope this finds you well. The reason for this message is to present an inquiry regarding an incident that produced a suspension or a hold on my Upwork account, and I don't know why. Today, I received an email in which Upwork notified me about a withdrawal through wire transfer. The worst part is that I didn't do this. So, I wrote to the Upwork team very worried about this, and they decided to bring my inquiry to the Security Account Team. When I reviewed my account to begin my work, I realized that it was suspended without any reason. I have to clarify that I never broke Upwork's terms and conditions that I always keep payments within the platform, even when clients request payments outside. The person who attended my inquiry never explained that presenting or informing about a wire transfer would conduct to a suspended account, which is highly unfair because I have considerable earnings in my account. I didn't know that presenting any inquiry can produce a suspension. I feel like I've been punished for present an inquiry regarding reversing this transaction. I knew that this is not possible and it's ok, I understand, but, why did you choose to suspend my account instead answering my request. 

Nowadays, I have more that ten contracts, I have excellent commercial relationship with my clients, and I always pay fo fees for project milestones and worked hours. If Upwork team needed to verify my account or required more information, I want you know why they didn't do this in the first place and choose to suspend my account. Also, if this is not a suspension, but a hold, I don't understand why you didn't inform me about that hold before presenting any inquiry. Because of this incident, I swear that I won't present any inquiery or request never in life. 

Does this happened to you? What Upwork team says in these cases?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Your withdrawal was probably just the normal scheduled withdrawal you set up, no?

When you reported an unauthorized withdrawal, you basically told Upwork that your account has been accessed and is compromised, so they locked it down for your own security. They'll verify your data and make sure your account is secure.

Check your withdrawal schedule...

a6d91258
Community Member

Dear Petra, thank you for your kind reply. No, I haven't set the schedule withdrawal.

Do you know how long it takes this process? I'm terrified because of my earnings and the projects I have to do. I'm terrified of simply thinking that I can lose everything. I reviewed my account, it says it's suspended, and I even could change my password.  I'm suprised that the customer service associate never told me this could happen. Informing the whole thing must be almost cortesy. Thank you again. 

petra_r
Community Member

Was any of the money on your account more than 180 days old?

But seriously, don't worry about your account, chances are you'll just have re-verify to make sure your account is safe.

Check if the last 4 digits of the account the money was withdrawn to match the last 4 digits of your account.

a6d91258
Community Member

No, I withdraw funds as soon as they appear available. I'll be checking if the account numbers match. 

I'll try to not worry. I wrote to the Upwork team requesting an explanation for this incident. It's incredible that they don't inform that they probably put a hold on my account, causing me this anxiety. 

Thank you!

a6d91258
Community Member

UPDATE: 

Until now, the customer support team didn't answer me about why they suspended my account and on what grounds. The promised to come back to my after 24 hours; however, we're in the 30 hour and no reply. This is the worst cusmomer service ever because of its lack of empathy with freelancers. 

I was wondering if I have to work given my account is suspended for the simply fact of presenting an inquiry regarding a withdrawal that I didn't do. I can review my account even when it's suspended. I can communicate with clients and they we're releasing milestones and making payments. They don't know everything and my account works as usually, except that I can't present proposals. Nonetheless, given that Upwork has suspended my account, and I don't have a clue if they're going to allow me to withdraw my funds, I don't know if I have continue working. As you know, this situation entails working for free. I can't work through a platform which customer support doesn't provide answers to my situation and push me to work with an uncertainty about a suspension and my funds. Though, I continue working for my clients because I have a word to honor and this is not their fault. By know, Upwork is badly impacting my mental health, because I have an anxiety atack that didn't allow me to work or respond to anything. I have to take medications for emergency. I'm sure that I haven't had this mental health crisis if Upwork responded appropriately to my inquiry, and not ignoring my repeated messages regarding the suspended account. 

I would like to clarify that I read terms of users and all legal papers in the Upwork website and I didn't broke any rule that may cause a suspended account. So, this is special. 

I would like to request your special help to incentivate customer support team to provide me an answer on how to lift the suspension and when I will have my account back. I don't know how to call moderators here to provide me a kind advice. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members