cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account suspended and Upwork will not give me any info.

Danielle B Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
1 of 12

I haven't done any work on Upwork, but work on a daily basis on Elance.  I recently received a notice that Elance was switching all accounts over to Upwork.  I logged in to Upwork to make sure everything was up to date on my account, and there was a message that my account was suspended.  I contacted customer support and was told this:

**edited for Community Guidelines** 

I responded back and explained that I have been an Elance member in good standing since 2010, and Elance is switching my account over, so I need to get this sorted.  How can I possibly be suspended when I haven't even done anything on Odesk/Upwork?  I received this response:

This cannot be right?  Customer support won't even tell me what is wrong with my account.  I will be contacting Elance regarding this.  I've looked through the forums and this seems to happen all the time at Upwork.  Elance is going to lose a ton of paying clients because Upwork suspends people for no reason, and doesn't even offer an explanation or any way to get the account unsuspended.  Nothing like this has ever happened to me on Elance.

I would really appreciate it if someone from Upwork could contact me and explain WHY I am suspended and why they are unable to fix it.  There is no reason my account should be suspended.  I've never even done a job on Upwork yet!

Thank you.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
2 of 12

Hi Danielle,

Although I doubt that is the reason for your suspension, you don’t have a photo of yourself. That is the first violation of the policies.

UpWork has a strange way of communicating (read not communicating) with people but almost always there is a reason for the suspension. Sometimes it’s your fault, sometimes it’s just a misunderstanding so all you have to do is open a ticket and be patient with Customer Support. That is the only way you can possibly get your account back.

Your post will probably be edited, once some of the moderators get a chance to read it as you are not allowed to post any transcripts, so you might want to change it and summarize what you are trying to say.

Good luck!

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
3 of 12

@Aleksandra K wrote:

you don’t have a photo of yourself. That is the first violation of the policies.

Says who? 

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
4 of 12

I think what we need are better CUSTOMER SERVICE agents in UpWork. 

What happened to this guy is INSANE and what's worse is how the CS person responded to his question with:

WHAT.

This is serious **edited for Community Guidelines** right here. Either something is buggy (again) with UpWork's auto-flag/suspend system or there's a frustrated CS agent trolling new and old users.

P.S. Guys, if I disappear, you know I love you. Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
5 of 12

Robert,

I believe that the wording they use is completely misleading. When I had issues with my account they told me that the account was closed (instead of being on hold) which makes a huge difference.

I think they are saying these things to people just to see who will be persistent enough to try and get the account back.

It’s like they are saying – if you want your account back you have to keep coming back and sending us e-mails every single day so we can see you really want to be part of the platform. If you prove to be very passionate about it, oh well you might get your account back.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 12

This won't be any consolation, but recently a number of top Upwork freelancers were suspended because Upwork decided their client accounts had low client satisfaction:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Account-suspended-for-low-client-satisfaction-top-rated-...

Aleksandra wrote, "Although I doubt that is the reason for your suspension, you don’t have a photo of yourself."

I looked up the elance regulation, and as far as I can tell, you can only use a logo instead of a photo if you have a business account.

Robert quoted,

Robert, I like you too, so be grateful you haven't received a note like that, because as far as I know that's the official notice Upwork sends you when they kick you out. It's not anything personal from a particular CS person. Or maybe it was written by whoever changed profile availability less than 10 hrs/week to "As Needed - Open to Offers" (after it was first changed to something like Don't know -- not sure)

7 of 12

There is no picture because the account is closed.

I suspect the customer satisfaction is too low and that's the reason and there's going to be a lot more of these to come. 

The moderator here may...just may, be able to help you and verify the problem without telling you what the problem is. 

We have all seen this regularly over the last 2 1/2 months.

Timothy C Member Since: Jul 10, 2015
8 of 12

My account was terminated because my performance had supposedly been bad. In the last two years, I had three jobs for which I received five stars, one where I got 3.9, and one where there was no feedback. The person behind one of the five star jobs was definitely happy with me – they recommended me to another company – and the value of this job was more than all the others put together.

23 messages passed betwixt self and customer service, but all they did was quote the rules – my situation was never evaluated. Valeria K, a mod, said the account was being reviewed, but I heard nothing more from CS or her.

Three posts where I mentioned this here have been deleted and the accounts I used have been suspended. So something mighty strange is afoot. I'm hoping that I'm showing the persistence Aleksandra says will pay off.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 12

Hi Timothy,

Please, refer to my response to your comment on this thread.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 12

Hi Danielle,

I have checked with the team about your account status and it appears it has been closed because of certain issues that came up. Unfortunately, we will not be able to share details of your account suspension here publicly for privacy and security reasons.

Thank you for your understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS