cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add the option to record working hours for fixed-price jobs

a2aabc71
Efart B Member Since: Jan 27, 2014
1 of 4
When I viewed my freelancer profile, I noticed that although she did many jobs in the last 6 months, including mine, the hours of-course were 0. I think it would be only fair for the freelancers to have the option to add or record their hours they spent for all the work they've done (that what I would have wanted if I had been a freelancer). When a client is looking for a freelancer, one of the parameters for choosing one is their oDesk Hours besides the number of contracts and their feedback.
coffman-robin
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
2 of 4
[quote=Efart B.]When I viewed my freelancer profile, I noticed that although she did many jobs in the last 6 months, including mine, the hours of-course were 0. I think it would be only fair for the freelancers to have the option to add or record their hours they spent for all the work they've done (that what I would have wanted if I had been a freelancer). When a client is looking for a freelancer, one of the parameters for choosing one is their oDesk Hours besides the number of contracts and their feedback.[/quote] I don't get why there seems to be a request similar to this made every couple weeks. It's never going to happen and it shouldn't. There are way too many problems with making that work. Who is going to monitor whether those hours are legit? If they are not legit, but they are given the same value as a legitimate hourly contract, they devalue all those hour earned by freelancers who actually work hourly. Then those hours mean nothing to the client who hopes to use that as a way to help judge the quality of a freelancer. If a freelancer desires to increase the number of hours worked shown on the profile, the freelancer needs to work on hourly jobs. Many clients are fine switching the job from fixed to hourly if the freelancer requests it. You sound like you may be one. There are so many ways to limit the dollar amount spent on the contract each week so that you don't go over your budget. If a freelancer desires to apply to a job that states that it requires XXX number of oDesk hours, there is nothing stopping that person from applying anyways and making it clear to the client why the freelancer is the right person for the job even without the hours (this was really good advice pre-Auto-Hide. Now? But applying at all seems like a gamble with the Auto-Hide stuff going on).
gmang
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
3 of 4
I actually think it would be good to allow to track time on fixed jobs. Not enforced, but optional. In any case, you can do as I do and use Hubstaff for that. It's very similar to oDesk's tracker.
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 4
You can track time on fixed jobs. I do it occasionally with a trusted/trusting client when it's hard to gauge the actual amount of work required for a job. The tracker is used as a guide, but there's no obligation on it, and it doesn't reflect in your total hours- it's merely a useful tool to assess the work done.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS