cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice? Entry Level Specified in Job? Job Needs Expert!

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
1 of 6

I am seeking advice from "Expert" freelancers as to whether or not to make a Proposal on Job Postings where the description of job clearly calls for an Expert but Posting specifies Entry Level. It seems more and more JOb Postings have this situation.

I am in the Accounting field but I'm sure every Expert freelancer in any category has faced this issue and I am seeking advice from their experience.

I have a very highly hourly rate, based on my expertise and experience,  compared to other freelancers in my category and have no intention of lowering it.

I get offers for only about 2% of my Proposals but that is not my concern.

I have been passing on any jobs specifying "Entry Level" but some of these job's descriptions clearly need as expert in order to do them professionally.

Have any of you other "Experts" found making a Proposal on such jobs results in an interview?

Thanks.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 6

I don't really pay attention to the Entry Level, Intermediate or Expert mainly because I have been awarded several projects that specified Entry Level.  If you think the project is for you, write a proposal for it and explain why they would need your expertise as opposed to someone less experienced as you.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 6

Right now, I have so many connects that if I thought the job was perfect for me, I probably would. It also depends on the job description. I don't pay much attention to a lot of what others do. I don't care how many proposals there are or even the number of interviews provided it isn't obvious they are getting free work.

I go by the job description. If they want 10 freelancers for a "tech blog" and it's entry level, then I know they won't pay my price. I avoid bloggers. 

Basically, I'm all about the job description. If I was running low on connects, I might avoid entry level maybe. Haven't been in that situation in over a year back on Elance.

turbocro
Community Leader
Igor S Member Since: Apr 8, 2015
4 of 6

For me Entry level usually means that they want to pay low...

I just filter Expert category and go with that...

but if you have extra connects to spend why not ?

slivaniou
Community Leader
Stella L Member Since: Jun 23, 2015
5 of 6

There is a strong connection between the category "entry level" or "expert level" and the amount the client is willing to pay. However, practice has shown that sometimes this connection does not exist. 

So, if you like the job description, go for it!

loredana-b
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
6 of 6

If according to the job description they're looking for an expert, then I'd say go for it.

Most clients aren't experienced enough when it comes to using Upwork or have no idea what's the level of expertise needed for their job being done, just as they have no idea how much it would cost them, so they just write a random budget in their proposal or job description.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS