๐Ÿˆ Community
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Alas! Raising Talent badge.
Page options
n_pudikova
Community Member

Alas! Raising Talent badge.

Good evening All and Merry Christmas. 

 

Can please someone from the Upwork community explains - how come someone with NO job getting "Raising Talent" badge (screenshots enclosed) and some (like me, obviously, are far far far away from this acknowledgement? ) Although there are clear discrepancy among some one who did 1+k Job and someone who has NOT? 

Thank you. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

โ€ƒ

you. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
egaruth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi All,
 
We've closely followed this conversation and thank the participants for their valuable input. Since the arguments have been exhausted and the conversation is moving in an unproductive direction, we will be closing the thread.
 
Additionally, I would like to clarify a few things about the Rising Talent badge.
 
  • Even new users who have yet to complete any Upwork projects can become Rising Talent. Having contracts isn't required. However, if they do get contracts, they need to complete them successfully, on time and as promised to clients in order to maintain the badge.
  • A variety of factors is taken into consideration when determining whether to award Rising Talent status. These factors include prior experience and skills, educational background, the overall strength of the profile upon submission.
  • It is also important to regularly submit proposals that match your skillset. Remember to carefully pick jobs youโ€™re excited about and choose clients who are willing to pay you your desired earnings.
  • While we can share the overall criteria for the Rising Talent badge, we will not be discussing the specifics and sharing the details as to why an individual freelance does or doesn't have the badge.

 

You can find more information on this page.
 
Edited to add information. 
~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

71 REPLIES 71
n_pudikova
Community Member

I have another seven screenshots of the same origin " I did not got any job but I am Rising Talent".

Seriously, @upwork? 

Hi Natalya,

 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that many factors contribute to a Rising Talent badge. This includes client feedback, the overall strength of your profile, prior experience and skills, your educational background, and the opportunities that are available in the market. Even professionals who have yet to complete any Upwork projects can become Rising Talent if they have skills that are in demand.

 

You can find more information in this help article

~ Nikola
Upwork

Nicola, ma stai scherzando?

I put all my obvious questions here. And I demand a solid answer. 

If person did not

match 100% criterion, and you award him with this badge -   what others had to do to achieve the badge?

I see you really need this badge.?

 

 

Natalya, I think that your profile is quite strong and you seem to have plenty of experience, so I can see why you're frustrated about this. Maybe it would help if you get one or two more testimonials, and 2-3 more portfolio pieces (such as case studies of projects that you've worked on in the past)? And I see that you've already won two jobs, so when you get reviews for those, you might get the badge then. If not, please try not to worry too much about it; you've already gotten two jobs even though you're new here, while some freelancers who do have the RT badge are struggling to get any work, so you can clearly still succeed without one. I would also recommend that you do not hide your earnings, because it will reduce your chances of being seen in the search results.

And what a "client feedback" are you talking about if person DID NOT land a single job?

Nikola S  said "This includes client feedback'' meaning is one of what can be considered but the actual requirement, is just one out of what is considered.

 

 

 

 

 
9f395534
Community Member

Simple Math, thanks @Nikola for the clarification. 

The law of ACTION and PROCESS took place then, if the freelancer's work history, educational background, and work experience were amazingly strong, then the freelancer will defiantly get the badge.

 

No shortcut to that.

You can say you have 40 doctorates, and who will know until the client gets garbage because the freelancer lies their rear end off. The rising talent badge might feel good, but there are many, many highly qualified freelancers who never received the badge. I do not know that the badge is of any benefit. Most of the new freelancers I have known tell me it makes no difference to clients. Clients want a good job for reasonable rates and don't care much about badges.

Do you have an idea why many FREELANCERS insisted on having the badge next to their profile?

 

Tip to those that needed it or those that think they deserve the badge,

 

RISING TALENT is like a shadow of your own Upwork profile, if your Upwork profile is trying to catch it, then it will never work. ignore it on behalf of your Upwork profile and let your profile walk on its own the RISING TALENT badge will follow your Upwork profile with ease

 

๐Ÿ‘Œ

With time an egg will walk.


Hafeez R wrote:

With time an egg will walk.


Most eggs never will. Because they produce fish, eels, snakes, etc. Also, because they may get eaten or broken. Or thrown in the trash.

lol, you made my day with your assumptions about the egg.

ashrafkhan81
Community Member

Amount earned is not amongst the criteria for earning the rising talent badge...

 

Just make sure you meet the criteria for rising talent and you will also get the badge as soon as you qualify. Or you may just qualify for the Top Rated is you get 2 more projects with good outcome! 

Thank you for your valued input

There was NO job. Zero, nada. We are not speaking about amount, we are  speaking about fairness and equality here. 

 

Yes, I know...when I was new to the platform I was also confused how could someone without any project or earnings qualify for the badge and I used to come across many job posts preferring freelancers with Rising Talent badge! 

 

I looked up and made changes to my profile and in two days I got my badge, and rising talent badge was very helpful in landing a lot of jobs...

 

I think, this is a way of upwork to promote and reward new freelancers who put in efforts to meet the criteria...and follow guidelines of upwork! 

Thank you, Ashraf. 

But what you say, is an absolute contradiction to Upwork terms and conditions. Namely simple - in order to get X, you need to combine A+B+C. Very easy. 

No "A", no "B", etc., etc - sorry, grow up. 

But in this particular subject (and as I said, I have seven screenshots of the similar nature) - person have no A, not B, nor C. And he is awarded. 

My question is - why? 

This is a Calculation based on the general strength of your profile, I suppose. connect the dot... Upwork knows what they are doing.

 

My rising talent badge.png


Hafeez R wrote:

why, is Calculation and the general strength of your profile, I suppose. connect the dot... Upwork knows what they are doing.

 

My rising talent badge.png


No, they don't. I've seen people who have the badge even though their profile isn't very good (one person had portfolio items that weren't even created by them, and the same job repeated 4 times under their work experience), and I've seen people with good profiles who don't have the badge. The process is flawed and very unfair, unlike the top-rated badge which has a very clear set of requirements.

You sound like Upwork is not awarding the badge to some Talented freelancers>

 

Upwork is a professional marketplace that is regulated by the law of ACTION and PROCESS, I never think they are biased with that when a freelancer has an RT badge but cant proof that with his/her skills, it sounds embarrassing, and it is a big slap on a workspace.

 

Upwork has put together the requirements to earn the badge, and am sure it will be given if any freelance meets the requirements.

 

You don't want to die, but you want to go to heaven, can you tell how that is possible?


Hafeez R wrote:

You sound like Upwork is not awarding the badge to some Talented freelancers>


Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've been on the platform for many more years than you have, so perhaps I have more knowledge and experience than you do? 

 


Hafeez R wrote:

Upwork is a professional marketplace that is regulated by the law of ACTION and PROCESS, I never think they are biased with that when a freelancer has an RT badge but cant proof that with his/her skills, it sounds embarrassing, and it is a big slap on a workspace.

 

Upwork has put together the requirements to earn the badge, and am sure it will be given if any freelance meets the requirements.


Wrong. No human being at Upwork is looking at profiles and deciding whether to award the Rising Talent badge or not - I'm sure that it happens automatically, based on algorithms that are far from perfect. People can tell whatever lies they want about their education and experience and steal portfolio pieces, and they'll get the badge while other freelancers won't. I believe that it's also based on whether or not someone says that they speak fluent English (which many freelancers also lie about), what services they offer, and what country they're located in. It is not a level playing field.


But you don't have to believe me - look up previous posts from freelancers asking why they haven't received the badge, and Upwork moderators always say that they can't specify the reasons, even though they've meet all of the requirements. It's not a simple process like, do this and this and then you'll definitely get a badge, so it's no wonder that some freelancers are frustrated about the lack of transparency.

 

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I've been on the platform for many more years than you have, so perhaps I have more knowledge and experience than you do? 

 

You have more experience than me only on the platform, but my achievement outside Upwork is unknown to you, academically-wise, with my work experience, and a lot more. am not an impostor,

 

I started on Upwork now not because am new to Freelancing,

I have earned numerous 5 stars outside Upwork, it is fine if you do not judge me because am new here, I am what I claim I was here.

 

I am open to any creative challenge!

 

 

Wrong. No human being at Upwork is looking at profiles and deciding whether to award the Rising Talent badge or not - I'm sure that it happens automatically, based on algorithms that are far from perfect. People can tell whatever lies they want about their education and experience and steal portfolio pieces, and they'll get the badge while other freelancers won't. I believe that it's also based on whether or not someone says that they speak fluent English (which many freelancers also lie about), what services they offer, and what country they're located in. It is not a level playing field.


But you don't have to believe me - look up previous posts from freelancers asking why they haven't received the badge, and Upwork moderators always say that they can't specify why someone hasn't received the badge, even though they've meet all of the requirements. It's not a simple process like, do this and this and then you'll definitely get a badge, so it's no wonder that some freelancers are frustrated about the lack of transparency.

 

 

I am an experienced developer, aside from my Creative skills (Graphic Design and Illustrator)

 

* We humans make mistakes.

* The system makes errors either 

  • syntax errors.
  • logic errors.
  • runtime errors

Algorithms are step-by-step procedures for solving problems,  this works already in the backend of the Upwork website so worrying about the decision made by the system, is not a mistake.

 

There is no mistake about it, you can not acquire an exam result before you write the exams, and you can't pass CBT exams that are already programmed to take YES as NO meaning if you pick the right answers you will still get it wrong since it was programmed that way.

 

 

education and experience and steal portfolio pieces  (10)

 

Am not in support of the written bold text above (10), if any freelancers claimed what they are not, that is up to them. I can only speak for myself and those I know as well, but how sure are you that they fib about their education and experience and steal portfolio pieces from other?

 

 

But you don't have to believe me 

 

Is not about me believing you, it is about what is right for all of us not just for a few of us. 

How will it sound to your ears if someone that works under you insisted that he/she is due for a promotion?

Is it your staff that will decide they are due for a promotion or is your decision to make based on thier performance?

 

The same thing goes with Upwork awarding the RISING TALENT badge, is not what the freelancers think or what they decide, that matters here, is about the law of ACTION and PROCESS put in place.

 

The fact remains the fact, this is out of your area of control.

 

 


Hafeez R wrote:

education and experience and steal portfolio pieces  (10)

 

Am not in support of the written bold text above (10), if any freelancers claimed what they are not, I can only speak for myself and those I know as well, but how sure are you that they fib about their education and experience and steal portfolio pieces from other?


Insulting responses from upwork 'Upwork Trust & Safety' department 

Regardless of what experience you have outside of Upwork, the fact remains that your posts demonstrate very little knowledge ON Upwork. Which is fine - it takes time to learn - but you keep insisting that you're right and pretending that your opinions are facts, and I'd hate for other newbies to be mislead by your advice.

If you think am the type that doesn't learn from others, then you are wrong about me.

 

You are a professional on Upwork today, but let me remind you that you stated the same I was now, you have your past mishaps and try to see things from other people's view, am not claiming I am the best here.

 

If you get to know me you will change your decision about me.

 

Remain blessed Christine

 

 


Hafeez R wrote:

You sound like Upwork is not awarding the badge to some Talented freelancers>


Because they don't.

 


Upwork is a professional marketplace that is regulated by the law of ACTION and PROCESS


All badges, except Expert-vetted, are automated. And I will continue to believe that until Upwork states otherwise. They simply don't have the financial resources to pay people to wade through all of the >3mo accounts that don't yet have a JSS and determine which ones are worthy of being labeled Rising Talent.

 

Upwork has put together the requirements to earn the badge, and am sure it will be given if any freelance meets the requirements.

Yes, it is defined by an algorithm. And Upwork is not required to post all of the conditions that the algorithm considers. They also aren't required to delete/amend publications with incorrect/obsolete information (although they should).

 

You don't want to die, but you want to go to heaven, can you tell how that is possible?


Ask Elijah. Ask Enoch.

Because they don't.

 

Yes because those that don't meet the requirement think they are qualified and it doesn't work that way, you have to get what it takes to earn the badge, I don't why it add for some people to admit that.

 

 

All badges, except Expert-vetted, are automated. And I will continue to believe that until Upwork states otherwise. They simply don't have the financial resources to pay people to wade through all of the >3mo accounts that don't yet have a JSS and determine which ones are worthy of being labeled Rising Talent.

 

Anything that is automated is programmed, and the algorithm's secret can't be dished out by mistake.

 

 

They simply don't have the financial resources to pay people to wade through all of the >3mo accounts that don't yet have a JSS and determine which ones are worthy of being labeled Rising Talent. (1)

 

How sure are you about this statement?

 

 

Yes, it is defined by an algorithm. And Upwork is not required to post all of the conditions that the algorithm considers. They also aren't required to delete/amend publications with incorrect/obsolete information (although they should).

 

 

Sound great as you admit this, some  freelancers expected Upwork to tell what is written in the Algorithm to earn a RISING TALENT badge 

 

              INPUT  ----------------------------------- PROCESSING -------------------------------------- OUTPUT

           freelancer information                         System computation                                              system results

 

00000000000000000111111111111111111111000000000000000 coding line

Step 1: accept freelancer info

Step 2: Declare W, & S. WORK(W) EDUCATION(E) SKILL(S)

Step 3: Read W, E & S

Step 4: If W > E  

                     If W > S

                      Display W {WORK}.

                      Else

                      Display S {SKILL}.

                      Else

                          If E > S

                            Display E {EDUCATION}.

                      Else

                      Display S {SKILL}.

Step 5: Stop

 

These are simple to understand and it in line with what is written in the back end of the system deciding on who will and who will not earn the RISING TALENT badge.

 

 

Ask Elijah. Ask Enoch.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ


Hafeez R wrote:

Yes because those that don't meet the requirement think they are qualified and it doesn't work that way, you have to get what it takes to earn the badge, I don't why it add for some people to admit that.


Hafeez, the Rising Talent is the only badge for which the Community does not have a clear grasp on the workings of the algorithm that confers it. Freelancers in this chat, with a collective Upwork experience of more than half a century (excluding myself, with my mere 7 months), say that it is conferred seemingly at random. Your insistence that those who do not receive it must not have met all of the requirements that Upwork published is not based in fact. Your experience in receiving the badge is not conclusive evidence - it is an anecdote. An accumulation of anecdotes becomes a survey which can be used to make reasonable conclusions. When you survey the Community - seriously, just search "Rising Talent" (or "Raising Talent", because typos). You will see all of the anecdotes that, in aggregate, are evidence contrary to your belief.

 


Hafeez R wrote:

They simply don't have the financial resources to pay people to wade through all of the >3mo accounts that don't yet have a JSS and determine which ones are worthy of being labeled Rising Talent. (1)

 

How sure are you about this statement?


Supremely confident. Upwork's financial statements are public record through the SEC, because they are publicly-traded. Look for yourself how much profit they make.

 


Hafeez R wrote:

Step 1: accept freelancer info

Step 2: Declare W, & S. WORK(W) EDUCATION(E) SKILL(S)

Step 3: Read W, E & S

Step 4: If W > E  

                     If W > S

                      Display W {WORK}.

                      Else

                      Display S {SKILL}.

                      Else

                          If E > S

                            Display E {EDUCATION}.

                      Else

                      Display S {SKILL}.

Step 5: Stop

 

These are simple to understand and it in line with what is written in the back end of the system deciding on who will and who will not earn the RISING TALENT badge.


First, your conditional setup is incorrect. You can't have an ELSE clause after another ELSE clause that is not itself a nested IF-ELSE. That code you wrote will never display E; it will always return W or S.

 

Second, you do not know the code that the platform uses, so DO NOT tell anyone that your ultra-simplistic (and again, incorrect) code is an example of how the platform's automations are written.

First, your conditional setup is incorrect

 

Kindly debug the code line, since the condition is not correct in your own opinion.

 

 

you do not know the code that the platform uses

I never said I know the code that the company uses.

 

 

ultra-simplistic (and again, incorrect) code is an example of how the platform's automations are written.

 

you can not conclude that everyone that reads this post will agree or disagree with either of our points.


Hafeez R wrote:

First, your conditional setup is incorrect

 

Kindly debug the code line, since the condition is not correct in your own opinion.


Step 4 will throw an unhandled exception at line 5 because Line 3 is not an ELSE IF clause. Also, you did not close your block - that requires an END IF clause.

Thank you
What changes did you make to your account to get the badge?
9f395534
Community Member

Hey Natalya P.

 

Your overall profile strength, prior experience and talents, educational background, and career potential are all important factors. Professionals with in-demand talents can become Rising Talents even if they haven't finished any Upwork jobs yet.

 

I am living proof am yet to finsh any project on Upwork but I earned the RISING TALENT BADGE because of  my profile strength and skills.

 

 

No. You are not a living proof. 

 

Here are the criterion:

  • Complete projects on time and as promised to clients
  • Maintain a 100% complete profile with accurate skills and genuine work
  • Keep your availability status up-to-date
  • Regularly submit proposals to projects that match your skill set
  • Adhere to the Upwork Terms of Service
  • Have been active in the past 90 days or joined in the past 30 days
  • So, no, sorry. Unless you have a project completed - you are unqualified. 

How come I earn the RISING TALENT BADGE then? @Natalya P

PREVIEW
 
 
 

This is the question for the Upwork I raised. 

 

You are unqualified. Not to mine expectations, no. To their.

Are you kidding me.?๐Ÿ˜‚

This is not within your area of control Natalya, you can challenge me to prove why Upwork awarded me the badge, my work experience doesn't start ON Upwork, so Upwork set this right in my opinion.

 

Is not an accident why

1+1= 2 or 1+1=10

Admit the fact.


Hafeez R wrote:

This is not within your area of control Natalya, you can challenge me to prove why Upwork awarded me the badge, my work experience doesn't start ON Upwork, so Upwork set this right in my opinion.


Did you actually look at her profile? She has more years of work experience than you do, along with a Master's degree.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths