marisagriggs

Amending a contract amount

Hello!

I agreed to complete a project, however, it took half as much time as planned, so I agreed to accept an hours worth of work, rather than two. However, this was not a project that was set up as hourly. How do I (or the employer, in this case) amend this so that accurate payment is made?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bruce_dodds

You can select the job under My Contracts, then click the "Give a Refund" button at the bottom right.

If your original estimate was in good faith, I would absolutely not offer a refund.  Some fixed price jobs will take longer than you think, and in most cases you won't get more money from the client for that.  It evens out.

Good luck in Upwork!  Wanting to do well by the client on one of your first jobs is a good beginning.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bruce_dodds

You can select the job under My Contracts, then click the "Give a Refund" button at the bottom right.

If your original estimate was in good faith, I would absolutely not offer a refund.  Some fixed price jobs will take longer than you think, and in most cases you won't get more money from the client for that.  It evens out.

Good luck in Upwork!  Wanting to do well by the client on one of your first jobs is a good beginning.

Thank you! I think this is fair, so I am happy to comply. One more follow-up question, if I select "refund," will I have the opportunity to choose the amount to refund? Thanks again!

Unless you have been paid already, you can't refund.

If you have NOT yet clicked on "Submit work and request payment" you should go that route, and simply edit the amount when you get to the next screen.

You can't refund on a contract you have not been paid on yet, so the (only) sensible way to do it is to edit the amount you request when submitting and requesting payment.

Your client can then end the contract and request the remainder of the escrow funds back. You approve that request and you'll all be happy 🙂

Thank you so much! Got it! 🙂