cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any option to accept or decline milestone assignment?

Gita N Member Since: May 27, 2015
1 of 23

Hope to get urgent response

is there any options for freelancer to accept or decline milestone assignment? milestone has been funded? but client reduced the price, no discussion before client assign this new milestone.

I have sent messages to the client but no response, he only giving instructions, release payment for the first job, and that's it!

I tried to google to find the answer for this problem but so far I can't find it, apologize if there's one.

Feel trapped by that "one sided milestone assignment", and stuck, no idea what to do now T.T

Hope some of you would like to help me, and I hope I explain it well

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 23
Don't apologize. This is exactly the right place to bring a question like this.
3 of 23

Thanks for your response ^^

What would you do if you face the same problem?
Is their any solution for this, or waiting is the only solution T.T

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 23
I HAVE had clients assign new milestones that I had not agreed to.

But no payment was paid for the new milestone, so I simply politely asked the client to close the contract and explained I needed to wait until the contract was closed before I could do further work or begin a new contract with them for the next phase in their project. That worked for me.

There is a difference between a milestone being funded and a milestone being paid for. You have not done work on the new milestone, you have not been paid anything, you have not requested any payment. This is not a big deal. Nothing has happened. The client has not lost any money.

Ask them to close the contract, and after they do so you will be able to continue with the project if you both want to do so. But at this point you can't do anything else.
5 of 23

Thanks for sharing this

I have sent him messages, no response, he only giving instructions, release the payment (for the first contract), and that's it

I told him I want the same price as agreed for the first contract, if he doesn't agree with my offer, I suggest him to end contract, still no response.

That's why I feel stuck, anyway, i wish he'll be back soon and give me some responses or at least just end the contract.

Ali K Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 23

Hi,

what i have learn so far when you join here before starting work if you ask this circumstances to support team and what they reply they will assure that you will get funds after work deliver even if client will not response !

But in my case they are holding my funds just because you that they want to ask question or sure something thing even after he accepted my delivered work and paid from his side and he also liked my work !

What i am thinking UPWORK using our money for their personal intrust and making unexeptable excuses after success full deliver of work and even after accepted and being paid by client !

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
7 of 23

@ Gita,

Unfortunately there isn't an effective method in place to handle this situation. I guess it was assumed that the client would be reasonable when assigning milestones and be receptive to negotiations. Unfortunately that is not he case.

A milestone cannot be declined. Since the client refuses to acknowledge your messages, you have two options:

1. Refund the milestone
  2. Continue with the contract and try to see it to the end.

If you refund the milestone, you will probably incur the wrath of the client (low private feedback) considering his current attitude towards you. If you continue with the contract, you could bend backwards in hope of a positive feedback when the contract ends.

There are many problems that needs to be addressed on the platform, this is just one more. Choose your poison and good luck. 

Similar situation here, and Julie is experienced and top rated, so you are not alone.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 23

It sounds as though the original poster has not even started work. It sound like they offered him the job and at that point changed the price of the job. Maybe he could clarify.

9 of 23

Who? me?

I have completed the first contract, job done well and client has released the payment.
He then add more work, assigned new milestone without dicussing with me first, he reduced the price.

10 of 23

Thanks for the helpful response.

As usual we (freelancers) actually have no choice, clients are the boss and freelancers are the tools *grin*

Very few clients (who) treat freelancers kindly and realize that we are here to help each other, need each other,

Once again, thanks for your response

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS