cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we taken for granted as freelancers? - Rating/Feedback/JSS

flaneusebleue
Marija S Member Since: Jul 23, 2016
1 of 10

I decided to write today about a problem that has been on my mind since my last client.
It was a simple job, I only earned about 9.60$ for a youtube banner and simple logo design, which is a little, but when the job sounds interesting and you need it, it's okay. First I sent a screenshot of my logo so the client can see if he likes it and if we are compatible to work together then he offered me a contract. I accepted, did the logo with 4 different fonts and did 4 variations of banners for the client to choose. He was satisfied, asked for other variations of the one already done so I did them too and at the end when all were happy, we ended the contract as we should just so I can see he left me a 4.80 rating on my 100% Job success score. During the whole process, we talked friendly, I replied always quick and finished in the most proper deadline. I wrote to him, asking him to explain why he gave me such rating, he never wrote. I wrote again, still no answer.

So, here is my conflict. First, I know maybe 4.80 is good for someone and I may not have to make such a big deal, but I don't actually think I am, rather I'm calling my right to get an answer for a job that was excellently done. I'm a perfectionist, but regarldess, even though I'm a new freelancer, I worked really hard to get that 100% JSS, I chose wisely, never applied to a job I know I couldn't do, communicated with understanding and almost always did a trial or test job for the client to see if he/she likes my design style.

And at the end, what are you left with, a smaller rating that you don't deserve and the client can just walk away from it's profile, get his job done without the slighest concern how this maybe instinctive feedback affected you as a hard working freelancer who makes a living out of it. I honestly cannot see the consideration here, for us as freelancers(from some clients), I have seen it on other profiles too and some even accept it, but where does our effort go and where is the appreciation in all of this? Are we just labeled with a rating from a potential 'not so caring' client and what comes down to is making a refund because when you see the bigger picture, those 10$ aren't worth the effort of being stressed about this. But not only that, you are left with a constant concern about the next client who'll come and his lack of consideration and apart from it all, it's hard not to feel discouraged in all of this.

So I actually have two questions:
1. Will the given refund affect my Job Success Score(if the clients for some reason leaves a bad feedback)?
2. If the client doesn't even open his profile, can I still refund the money and not see that feedback on my profile anymore?

Thank you for taking the time reading this,
Maria

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 10

Refunding will get rid of the public feedback but not of the private one, which is the most important.

This 4.80 rating, instead of 5.00, seems very important to you and it's your right to feel that way. I would just brush it off.

But one thing that I have noticed is that the quality in clients is very often consistent with their budget. Cheapos are the worst ones, they are not professionals but just bozos, often very young and totally uneducated.

For them, you're just an app on their (cheap) smartphone. Not a human being. And someone who pays $10 for a logo definitely fits into this category. So working with bozos is a choice, that comes with some drawbacks.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 10

Spot on, Rene.

Young, inexperienced, low budget, Mark Zuckerberg wannabees make up the majority of the worst (i.e. whiniest) Upwork clients I have had. They rarely fully understand their own projects and, because they don't understand what i am doing when putting together their business plans and financial projections, they think I don't understand what I'm doing.

I like helping appreciative clients of any age and experience, so I'll keep doing it, but I know my clown detector is not always accurate before I agree to work with an obviously young potential client.

It's unfortunate that Upwork's current "rating" system is so inconsistently applied by clients. And that Upwork makes no effort to fix the situation.

But, really, if a "5" rating by a client equals a perfectly executed project, it must be a very simple project. Complex projects do not lend themselves to perfection - clients can always think of "just one more thing" a freelancer should have done on their project, even if the client him/herself didn't think of that thing before the project was completed.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 10

but their idea is the next facebook and it will take over facebook and then mom will let them take the car out for a spin

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 10

@Will L wrote:

........ my clown detector....

Love "Clown Detector" - may I borrow the term from time to time?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 10

@Will L wrote:

But, really, if a "5" rating by a client equals a perfectly executed project, it must be a very simple project. Complex projects do not lend themselves to perfection - clients can always think of "just one more thing" a freelancer should have done on their project, even if the client him/herself didn't think of that thing before the project was completed.

To me, a "5" in any category equates with that person being among the best I've worked with in that arena and near the top of my list if I needed someone to provide those services again. I hate the "didn't hopelessly f.... up" standard that seems to be the norm for 5-star ratings these days, as I think it cheats the truly stellar freelancers by providing no means of setting them apart from the ones who were fine.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 10

My point is that a 4.7 or 4.8 is a perfectly good rating

But too many freelancers are driving themselves crazy chasing perfect 5's on every project they work on, a score that should be almost as rare as a 10 in Olympic gymnastcs to have any meaning.

Like the children of Lake Wobegone, everyone wants to think of themselves as above average (in every way and all the time).

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 10

@Will L wrote:

My point is that a 4.7 or 4.8 is a perfectly good rating

But too many freelancers are driving themselves crazy chasing perfect 5's on every project they work on, a score that should be almost as rare as a 10 in Olympic gymnastcs to have any meaning.

Like the children of Lake Wobegone, everyone wants to think of themselves as above average (in every way and all the time).

Agree, and not just driving themselves crazy--many freelancers come to the forums and tell long, involved stories of ongoing harassment of clients who gave them "terrible" 4.6 feedback.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 10

Maria, 

It would be absurd to refund. 4.80 is really not a bad score, and even if it blips your JSS a bit, you will soon recover with other jobs. You might be a perfectionist, but perhaps your client is even more so, or simply on principle does not gve five-star ratings.

The visible star rating doesn't count as much as the private rating, so it is pointless to refund, particularly if the client is satisfied.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Maria,

Refunds do not affect the Job Success Score directly and I can confirm that private feedback is not removed when a full refund is issued. Having a number of closed contracts with no money paid can affect a user's score. 

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS