cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attendance dates for Education on Profile

M Arnold G Member Since: Feb 13, 2017
11 of 28

I am having difficulty completing my Freelancer Profile.   In particular, so many of the choices in the drop down boxes are inadequate for my situation, but I am forced to pick from those drop down lists and cannot enter my own choice(s) for that particular field.

Example:  Under "Education History,"  I want to enter "Northwestern University" (i.e. in Evanston, Ill.) However, the drop down doesn't list it. It lists "Northwestern College,"  which is incorrect for me. None of the other available choices are accurate, either. However, if I try to type in "Northwestern University," it automatically replaces it with something from the existing drop down list, which would be incorrect for my profile.

Also, many of the fields are "mandatory" where I wish they would not be.  For example, I do not want to enter "dates attended" in the Education History section, but it is mandatory. Why? Furthermore, why is entering any education history mandatory in the first place?  I could enter my education detais as I wish to in the summary paragraph, and bypass the education history section, but I can't save the profile, since I didn't enter an "education history" item. 

Upwork makes it difficult for me to use their platform with all these requirements.  Is there anyting that can be done to allow me to create the profile I wish to?

Please advise.

Community Guru
Carlos L Member Since: Apr 24, 2016
12 of 28

Just complete it, I can put whatever I want on education history, so can you. It is writable. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 28

Hi M Arnold,

Thanks for sharing your feedback and suggestions. I'm sorry you ran into issues creating your profile. We want to make sure freelancers have complete profiles when they start on Upwork as it's very important for their own success. 

I shared with the team that your school isn't in the list and they'll work on adding it. Meanwhile, you can write its name in the field and save it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
14 of 28

I appreciate your making the change to let me enter the correct University Name. However, the "dates attended" field is still "required."  I need that to be "optional."  is that possible?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 28

Arnold,

Dates attended fields are required by design. Unfortunately, we won't be able to change that.

~ Valeria
Untitled
16 of 28

Quoting Valeria -

>Arnold,

>

>Dates attended fields are required by design. Unfortunately, we won't be able to change that.

>~ Valeria

Understood. But requiring "dates attended" for education can facilitate age discrimination as indicating a date attended for high school or undergraduate college/university would peg somone, resonably, to a given age, + or - a year.

Unless you can alter that design to allow dates attended to be optional, I will be unable to complete the profile and, thus, not be a freelancer for Upwork.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
17 of 28

I've seen a few new freelancers worried about this but I'm not sure it's as significant a problem as you're anticipating. There are several of us, in the forums alone, that are in an older demographic but doing very well here.

I appreciate that it's really difficult to break out of the brick and mortar mentality but, truly, quality clients here are looking for people who can do their job and do it well. I'm not convinced that age is a deciding factor when they hire.

I've been fortunate to hire many freelancers for my clients and I can honestly say that I've never once paid a single bit of attention to their college graduation dates.

@M Arnold G wrote:
Understood. But requiring "dates attended" for education can facilitate age discrimination as indicating a date attended for high school or undergraduate college/university would peg somone, resonably, to a given age, + or - a year.

Unless you can alter that design to allow dates attended to be optional, I will be unable to complete the profile and, thus, not be a freelancer for Upwork.

Thank you.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 28

@M Arnold G wrote:

Quoting Valeria -

>Arnold,

>

>Dates attended fields are required by design. Unfortunately, we won't be able to change that.

>~ Valeria

Thank you.

I agree with Christy, Arnold. As a client I have never looked at the dates of a freelancer's university attendance and frankly don't care. I don't care how old a freelancer is, where they live, or how they work. I only care that they can get the job done.

Also, university attendance dates is in no way an accurate indicator of someone's age. I'm attending university right now, and will graduate this year, but that doesn't mean I'm 21 years old.

Robert P Member Since: Oct 22, 2018
19 of 28

Arnold, I know your post is over a year old but I want to add my support to the issue you rased. I have been successfuly performing work through three other freelance work platforms. None of those platforms require the dates of college attendence. I completely agree with you that it opens the door to age discrimination. I read the responses by some who say it doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter then why not make it optional. 

I created a profile at Upwork but decided to not to complete it due to this issue.  I will look elsewhere for new freelance jobs.

Joe O Member Since: Nov 7, 2017
20 of 28

I also am very surprised that the dates are required.  In my recruiting experiences, the dates have only required if I'm going to take the step of verifying education history.  I'm not reading that anyone is doing that vetting.

For most of the employed population the dates are a surrogate for age. Age discrimination is a legitimate concern no matter the venue,  Assuming that age discrimination doesn't exist doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Experience with age discrimination usually accrues as one gets older. No surprise. 

Many have said that they pay no heed to education dates.  One person suggested that falsifying employment info is possible.   If it's the prevalent case that dates don't matter, then why are the dates required?  

At some point, someone must have decided that there's a business case for requiring the dates. I would hope that UpWork would either disclose the reason or make the dates optional if there is no known reason.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS