🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Be careful when trusting new clients
Page options
sariboudreau
Community Member

Be careful when trusting new clients

Last night I applied for a job to write an e-book. This morning I was hired. Tonight, the client cancelled the contract, with no reason. He had no intention of communicating until I messaged to ask what was going on. He said he was "new to all of this" and hired 3 people to see who would respond first! So, if you see a posting for an e-book about guitars, be very leery!

11 REPLIES 11
roberty1y
Community Member

Did you start a contract? If you did any work, you should be paid for it, even though the client changed his mind.

sariboudreau
Community Member

Yes, a contract was started. Luckily he cancelled it within a few hours, so I hadn't done any work. I was waiting for the client to let me know exactly what he needed so I could get started.

Sari,

Re: " Yes, a contract was started. Luckily he cancelled it within a few hours, so I hadn't done any work."

I have figured out that contact ending without any transaction may result in decreasing your JSS.

Although it is not your fault, your JSS will be reduced perhaps.

As I don't know what you should do to prevent this problem, so hopefully the Upwork team will help you in this case.

I've reported it and they said they were forwarding it to the team to see if they can keep that from happening. I hope that is the case.

There is nothing to report. Upwork will not do anything about it. 

Clients are free to change their mind. 

I don't know what kind of remedy you expect for that event. 

You might find that it is a canned upwork response that they will forward it to the team. 

Md Nazmul Hasan D wrote:

I have figured out that contact ending without any transaction may result in decreasing your JSS.

You have figured incorrectly - a contract with no pay does not do any harm UNLESS the client leaves a bad review.

Christine,

Yes, you are right. Thanks for nice clarification. 

It's safer to not accept any contract until the client has provided you with all the necessary materials to do the work.  

moonraker
Community Member

It happens ocassionaly. Clients can make mistakes or changes they're minds - they're human after all.

It doesn't have to be a big deal, just move on. Your JSS will only be affected if the client leaves negative feedback, which is unlikley.

Hi there. I have submitted more than 20 proposals and some I'm more than the first 5 that submit proposals, yet My stats are reading zero under the proposal view counts. Please help. I need to know if my proposals are being seen or not

Other people are also reporting problems with their stats. I'm sure someone from Upwork will reach out to help you here.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members