๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Beware of New Upwork Scam: Purchasing Domains...
Page options
cd0a0c7a
Community Member

Beware of New Upwork Scam: Purchasing Domains, High Bonus and PayPal

Hello everyone,

I want to bring attention to a new scam targeting freelancers on Upwork. There's a group of scammers operating on the platform who are using verified accounts and seemingly legitimate job postings to lure unsuspecting freelancers into their trap.

Here's how the scam works:

These scammers post job listings for various services, such as WordPress expertise or website creation, under the guise of genuine projects. They may even have a history of spending money on Upwork to appear more trustworthy.

Once a freelancer bids on their proposal and gets hired, the scam begins. The client will then request the freelancer to purchase a domain on their behalf for the project. However, once the freelancer makes the purchase, the client refuses to pay for the work completed.

To make matters worse, Upwork often does not support freelancers in these situations, citing that purchasing domains on behalf of clients goes against their policies. In some cases, the freelancer's account may even be suspended, leaving them in a vulnerable position.

It's crucial to be vigilant and cautious when dealing with such requests. A genuine client would never ask you to purchase a domain on their behalf, as it involves sharing personal and sensitive account credentials. If someone asks you to do so, it's a major red flag.

Let's work together to protect ourselves and our fellow freelancers from falling victim to these scams. Stay informed, trust your instincts, and always prioritize your safety and security on Upwork.

Don't get caught in the trapโ€”stay vigilant.

Best regards,
Sachin Sharma

4 REPLIES 4
9a89b5f0
Community Member

You're absolutely right. Upwork needs to take immediate action on this issue. It's disheartening to see how frequently freelancers, especially those new to the platform, are falling victim to scams. Navigating the Upwork landscape can be daunting, especially for newcomers like myself who may not be well-versed in identifying warning signs.

So, how do we safeguard ourselves in such an environment? Recently, my friend Rahul shared a troubling experience on LinkedIn, and it's a story that resonates with many of us.

Rahul was approached by what seemed like a legitimate client on Upwork. This client had a reputable work history and offered promising payment terms, making them appear like the perfect client. However, as the project progressed, things took an unexpected turn. The client insisted that Rahul purchase a specific domain, which turned out to be ridiculously expensive on GoDaddy.

Initially tasked with cloning a website, Rahul found himself in a predicament when the client shifted the focus to purchasing a domain. When Rahul requested the necessary website details for the transfer, the client suddenly vanished, leaving Rahul stranded without crucial information. Adding insult to injury, Rahul's Upwork account was suspended the following day, leaving him feeling frustrated and uncertain about his freelancing future.

As a newcomer to the Upwork platform, Rahul's experience left him feeling scared and bewildered by the sudden turn of events.

This incident sheds light on the harsh realities of freelancing, where trust can easily be exploited, and those new to the scene are particularly vulnerable. It serves as a stark reminder for all of us to remain vigilant and cautious when engaging with clients on Upwork.

Let's turn Rahul's experience into a valuable lesson for us all. Let's educate ourselves about the warning signs of potential scams and advocate for stronger protections for freelancers on Upwork.

Together, we have the power to create a safer and more transparent environment for freelancers worldwide.

Stay safe and stay informed.

You're absolutely right. Upwork needs to take immediate action on this issue. It's disheartening to see how frequently freelancers, especially those new to the platform, are falling victim to scams. Navigating the Upwork landscape can be daunting, especially for newcomers like myself who may not be well-versed in identifying warning signs.

All you need to do is read and follow the Terms of Service. If freelancers stopped ignoring the rules, or cooperating with the scams, there would be no scam issue here. Read this post. It has all the links to Upwork resources to learn how to use the platform safely. Every freelancer is self-employed. This means you are responsible for everything that happens on the platform. There are scams that are complex. However, the vast majority are very simple. Break the rules by going outside of Upwork for any reason before a contract is in place. Never do financial exchanges outside of Upwork. If you follow the rules, the chances of being scammed are greatly reduced.

How can Upwork force people to follow the rules they agreed to follow? And when they don't, why should Upwork reward them for breaking the rules, cheating, and encouraging more scams? This is not YouTube, where the worst that will happen is being locked out. Anyone who doesn't care if they are scammed, or what rule they break, continue to not bother to even read them. I have no sympathy for lazy, unskilled people who only want to complain that Upwork didn't save them.

I have begged, pleaded, and done everything else, along with others, to warn freelancers and tell them to follow the rules. The vast majority ignore it and often do it again. I'm all for working together, but when the majority cooperate with the scammers, there is no working together.

bobafett999
Community Member

I hear you, but freelancers are at fault as well.  Jobs are difficult to get.  Once whoever answers their applications,  they throw away their brains.  The first question they should ask is why this yoyo buyer asking me to buy expensive domain and promise boatload of money to purchase something that they can do in minutes.  The freelancers don't read up on the resources upwork provides to stay safe.  They forget that Upwork is not their father or brother to hold their hand.  So next time a buyer hires for an easy job that promises lots of money THINK.

My uncle used to say - as long as there are greedy people, scammers will never go hungry.

the-right-writer
Community Member

As soon as the client wants you to do something that violates the Terms of service and common sense, stop everything, and report it to Upwork. Yes, Upwork tells you, this is against the Terms of Service. Why would they give you any money out of their pocket, when you broke the rules? Yes, Upwork does, at times, kick the freelancer out, and close their account. And why should they not take action? People expect Upwork to follow every rule, but they break them all the time, and then want Upwork to give them free money for cooperating in a scam.

Every time a freelancer breaks the rules and cooperates with a scammer, three more show up because the earnings are fantastic on Upwork. Every day, numerous freelancers knowingly break the Terms for a variety of reasons. Ignorance is no excuse. Everyone agreed to abide by the Terms of Service before they started work.

We have all tried, and still try to educate freelancers, and many times, the freelancer will argue for their scam. If someone can't be bothered to read and follow the rules, why are they here, unless to scam, too?

The scammers will continue to fill the job feeds until the freelancers stop willingly breaking the rules, and thinking they are so special, they will be hired for a great rate, despite the fact they have no experience and no profile.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members