🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Beware of Scammers
Page options
1551865a
Community Member

Beware of Scammers

Hello, folks.

I applied to this gig **Edited for Community Guidelines** and they messaged me with a PDF containing a Telegram user I was supposed to contact. I took the bait, they asked me for a CV and when I sent it, they immediately said I was now part of their team and had me choose a "Job Plan". The "company" is named **Edited for Community Guidelines**and a quick google search reveals their shady website. Also revealing an address in Canada, instead of Spain as displayed on the Job Posting. One more Google search on the Canada address reveals countless User Reviews reporting they've all been scammed by these culpirits.

I tried flagging the Job as inappropriate, however, it got removed from the platform, now I'm unable to do it. I thought I had to report it so newcomers (such as me) don't get fooled into those schemes. Take care, everyone!

Marcio.

18 REPLIES 18
9bd2842f
Community Member

man they just did that to me and i googled them to make sure and u just saved my eyes and  3 days of my life hahahaha

thank u so much man

Glad I could be of help. Take care!

a73a9417
Community Member

WAIT NO WAY!! i already spent 2 days doing the gig, i knew my gut feeling was right 😞 thankyou! i wont be giving them the work 🙂

Community Member

What kind of scam that they do actually? Cause i already fall for everything:(

f77789d9
Community Member

Hi

Yes, I was approached by the same people for some AutoCAD work

the job post on upwork says location is Germany

their website says Canada

&

the guy on Telegram **Edited for Community Guidelines** said that they are based in USA

i was very disturbed for past two days

even though I had started their work.

now I will completely stop doing work for these people

I wish Upwork had a way to screen these scammers out of their system!

f96e937e
Community Member

Hi Marcio,

Thank you for sharing these. I just received the message from Nonna Jessy and the PDF file. I had the same experience as you.

Then, I Googled it and found that the scammer's number was not found on Get Contact. I also found a similar website named **Edited for Community Guidelines**

So, thank you, and take care, everyone.

d90527f0
Community Member

I signed up for Upwork last week, did only one job, and then everything else was just scams.

e771b44f
Community Member

Hi Marcio, thanks for sharing your story. I unfortunately got the same scam last night and was super excited about it. This morning  thankfully I was able to think straight and did some research on it. Luckily I haven't done anything yet. 

90e9f84e
Community Member

Hi Marcio, I have unfortunetly fallen for this scam, I spent 4 days working and they told me to contact the finance department. Before I knew it I had payed 140 dollars in fees and they were asking for 217 more to "complete the process" and get payed. Do you know if there's a way to get my money back? I would hate to have lost 4 days of my life and money on top of that 😞

b454334c
Community Member

Hi. I saw a post of them looking for a Vietnamese Translator 2 days ago, I sent them a proposal and then they contacted me today with the same pdf with a link to a telegram account of a woman named **Edited for Community Guidelines**. Then she sent me a pdf and told me to choose a project plan. The salary seemed too good to be true, so I was a bit suspicious :))) Also, the way they discussed and worked seemed unprofessional, so I did some research on Google and thankfully I found your post. I almost spend 5 days not sleeping to translate a 97-page document for them. You're a lifesaver!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

9f76c703
Community Member

hi marcio, thanks for sharing your story. I had just finished my work with them but when I wanted to be paid, they told me to pay a certain amount of money so that my wages could be completed. I haven't given them any money because I'm in doubt. I'm grateful to find your story here.

atatinma
Community Member

Is that really? It's been a bit weird since the first time they massaged in upwork platform. Oh thanks God, and thanks to you Marcio. Greetings! 

putra-samosir
Community Member

I had the same experience today on translation project. Thank you so much for your warning. You're a lifesaver

23a43fd5
Community Member

Hello Mauricio!

Thanks for sharing this information.

I applied for the following job **Edited for Community Guidelines**and they sent me a message with the steps I had to follow and a pdf from **Edited for Community Guidelines** with a suspicious link that I was afraid to open. I looked for information and thanks to your message I did not fall for the scam on that page.

096fa666
Community Member

That's so sad. The same happened to me. I thought I had found my first online job 😞 I talked to a  man called Harris Smith. They almost got me. I'm glad you have shared your experience with us, Marcio. 

m_terrazas
Community Member

Well, if you and everyone who has commented here had read the TOS (which you are supposed to have read when creating your account), it wouldn't have happened to any of you.
No communication outside of Upwork until contact is established.
Don't pay to work.
Do yourselves a favor and read the TOS and also these links:
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1230482#M734358

- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

didine04
Community Member

A quick update, I was contacted by **Edited for Community Guidelines**and was asked to translate a project in 03 business days, I sent the work and then was told to give my IBAN via telegram to a guy named **Edited for Community Guidelines** under the account financial payment department so they could transfer the money. the payment supposed to be done was 2k USD. now their bank is asking for my ID and a refundable transfer of 120 USD to receive the 2k USD for my work. lol literally who can make such a stupid mistake !!!
Btw, the bank is Trust Bank Connect, and it doesn't exist, the guy on Telegram tryed to convince me that it's safe and sent me screenshots of people who have done the payment for verifications when I told him that I used to work as a KYC analyst with banks and such procedure never heard of it in my life he became very rude. 

Be Aware !!! 

858610bc
Community Member

Ohh bro... You saved my 5 days....

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members