🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Bidding on projects
Page options
mamyer
Community Member

Bidding on projects

Relative to freelancers bids I really don't like those who bid 10times less than the clients' Fixed-price, eg. if a Fixed-Price is $3000 a freelancer bids $300.  This is very bad for professionals who know about fees for services.    

Great undercut.

I wish Upwork can address this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marc_compte
Community Member

This is live, happens in Upwork and outside of it. Not much can be done on either place. You have two choices:

- Compete in terms of cost. Lower your bid to compete with the lowest bids.
- Compete in terms of quality. Convince the client you are worth your bid.

There are clients who value cost over quality and clients who value quality over cost, so pick your niche and compete only with the other freelancers in that niche.

I know freelancers who complain when clients only look at the quoting, but then they buy something on an e-commerce site at the other side of the world because it is cheaper. One thinks that this should make them learn there is nothing wrong with buying cheap, but to them this only seems fair when they are the buyers.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “I wish Upwork can address this.”

But it can’t.

Please cancel my last reply, I made an error. I meant the insane lowest
bidder is doing a disservice.......
petra_r
Community Member

Alexis F wrote:
I meant the insane lowest
bidder is doing a disservice.......

Only to themselves.

The people who charge a tenth of what you are charging aren't your competition... the people on your own level are.

marc_compte
Community Member

This is live, happens in Upwork and outside of it. Not much can be done on either place. You have two choices:

- Compete in terms of cost. Lower your bid to compete with the lowest bids.
- Compete in terms of quality. Convince the client you are worth your bid.

There are clients who value cost over quality and clients who value quality over cost, so pick your niche and compete only with the other freelancers in that niche.

I know freelancers who complain when clients only look at the quoting, but then they buy something on an e-commerce site at the other side of the world because it is cheaper. One thinks that this should make them learn there is nothing wrong with buying cheap, but to them this only seems fair when they are the buyers.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members