cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bonus payment still pending since 24 h ?

Danjel Ç Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
1 of 18

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

Go to your Pending tab. Is there a date showing in the left hand column against the payment? That is when it will be released. Bonus payments have the same security hold as all other payments.

if there is no date showing in the left hand column come back. It would mean that the client’s payment method could not get charged.

Danjel Ç Member Since: Mar 3, 2017
3 of 18

There is no date , its first time that happend to me like this ... 

Community Guru
4 of 18

@Danjel C wrote:

There is no date , its first time that happend to me like this ... 

Yeah, that means the payment didn't go through. Give it a couple of days, then gently remind the client that they need to fix their credit card / PayPal so Upwork can charge them. They know, they were notified. Upwork will try to charge a few more times, so it might get sorted during the next payment round.

Rahul T Member Since: Mar 7, 2019
5 of 18

So in that case does that mean the payment is gone? Isn't this a big loophole in Upworks charging system?

Once of my client recently approached me and due to time contraint asked me to complete 3 days work in 1 day and gave me a bonus of $300.

Once I delivered the work he ended the contract and then he never replied. The bonus payment is pending since then. Don't you guys think there should be some regulation at Upworks system to prevent such frauds?

Community Guru
6 of 18

Rahul T wrote:

So in that case does that mean the payment is gone? Isn't this a big loophole in Upworks charging system?

Once of my client recently approached me and due to time contraint asked me to complete 3 days work in 1 day and gave me a bonus of $300.

Once I delivered the work he ended the contract and then he never replied. The bonus payment is pending since then. Don't you guys think there should be some regulation at Upworks system to prevent such frauds?

How long has it been like that? And yes, that means the money is gone, (or rather, it means it was never paid...) Bonuses are not protected, you should have insisted on the client funding a milestone for $ 300 (if it is a fixed rate contract) or tracked your time (if hourly.)

There ARE all sorts of systems in place to protect you, if you decide not to use them, there isn't much anyone can do. Ultimately bonuses are not meant as a substitute for properly set up contracts.

Highlighted
7 of 18

My question is intended to highlight a loophole in the system which somehow Upwork is not addressing to it and the moderators and Customer Service Agents are just reading what is written there.

Let me rephrase the question for you:

I am asking that why on the first place Upwork is allowing such a loop hole?

Community Guru
8 of 18

Rahul T wrote:

Let me rephrase the question for you:

I am asking that why on the first place Upwork is allowing such a loop hole?

Bonus payments are allowed so clients can give a bonus. Which part of that is unclear?

It is not meant to be used the way you chose to use it.

It looks like it was an hourly contract and you decided not to log your time. Your choice.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 18

Think of it like this:

Enforcement of a "Bonus Payment" on Upwork is like a Tip Jar at your local gas station convenience store.

You can leave a tip there if you want to. And clients can pay freelancers a bonus if they want to.

10 of 18

I am not saying enforcing a Bonus Payment. Just tweaking your analogy/example a bit to fit my case:

Its like tipping a server with $300 before he brings a order with a cheque and then running away without paying for the Beer and the cheque also Bounces.

I am just trying to highlight a potential loopholes which is being used by some cunning clients and wasting a lot of time of freelancers.

One possible small suggestion I can think of is not allowing Bonuses till the project/milestone is complete.

In your example allow the tip once the bill is given to the customer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS